Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

I was considering Iphone 8 Plus, it's about 300 Cheaper, at the end of the day it's good enough for all I really get to do, bit of surfing, bit of form posting any phone will stream radio/Spotify etc , don't really have time to play games.

That's 300 towards the Macbook Pro when it gets the 8th Gen Intel I5

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Is it best to notify the bank before buying? I’d be devastated to get my order in only for the debit card to be declined as a suspect random big purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

blink44 wrote: »
    Is it best to notify the bank before buying? I’d be devastated to get my order in only for the debit card to be declined as a suspect random big purchase

No need. Your card won't be charged fully at the time. It will be charge £1 authorization. The full amount will be taken when its ready to ship. So basically after the order keep checking the tracking link to make sure when Apple goes for the money in full - they don't reject it.

If it is an authorization fail - Ring the bank first to clear it.

I had the same issue with the Airpods last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

flexcon wrote: »
    No need. Your card won't be charged fully at the time. It will be charge £1 authorization. The full amount will be taken when its ready to ship. So basically after the order keep checking the tracking link to make sure when Apple goes for the money in full - they don't reject it.

If it does get rejected do you not go back to the beginning of the queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I had my bank block it when Apple done this. AIB said that the system is configured to spot small then large transactions together in case of fraud.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys do you think AppleCare+ is a must have for this?

Can you even buy it after purchasing the iPhone X down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nopineapple

I've never bought apple care with apple products... in the end 1 year is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys do you think AppleCare+ is a must have for this?

Depends on you personally really, I’ve never damaged a device over the past 8 years. Worst was probably a scratch or two. And I’ve dropped them a lot too, but usually have a minimal case that helps with protection.

However a lot of people will regularly break screens so if you’re one of those people then get Apple Care.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DubDJ wrote: »
    Depends on you personally really, I’ve never damaged a device over the past 8 years. Worst was probably a scratch or two. And I’ve dropped them a lot too, but usually have a minimal case that helps with protection.

However a lot of people will regularly break screens so if you’re one of those people then get Apple Care.

Im in the same boat then.

Never damaged a screen and really take care of my gadgets. It would probably be a waste of money for me.

Most important thing will be a good case

Same here but with a 1 year 10 month old and 3 year 5 month old anything could happen and probably would with a 1300 Euro phone !

You can claim off your house insurance or get gadget insurance. But for something that costs so much insurance is wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Anyone any good recommendations for a cover. I like the wallet ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

snowflaker wrote: »
    Anyone any good recommendations for a cover. I like the wallet ones.

I always buy the official Apple leather one it’s expensive but always a quality case.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If it does get rejected do you not go back to the beginning of the queue?
    Marty Bird wrote: »
    I had my bank block it when Apple done this. AIB said that the system is configured to spot small then large transactions together in case of fraud.

I have a friend working in Apple in Cork, and said that if it does happen, as long as you get it sorted on the same day it won't effect it.

Even then though, if it takes you 3 days to get it sorted you don't go to the back of the queue, your order moves onto the next batch that was supposed to go out.

Yeah I think its probably their billing system. We have the same system in work, unless we have a product to ship - we don't charge the card until then

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Headshot wrote: »
    I seem to recall you have a month to apply for AppleCare after you buy the phone. They'll do a diagnostic on it first (remotely) and you might have a small period you can't claim within.

This might all be different for the X, however.

Dades wrote: »
    I seem to recall you have a month to apply for AppleCare after you buy the phone. They'll do a diagnostic on it first (remotely) and you might have a small period you can't claim within.

This might all be different for the X, however.

From Apple website:

Important notes

Purchase AppleCare+ with your new iPhone. Or buy it within 60 days of your iPhone purchase:

Online (requires you to verify your serial number and run a remote diagnostic)
    By calling 1800 804 062 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)
    See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details.

Doesn’t AIB have a new security feature where they send a text asking if you made a recent transaction and you can reply with a yes or no to let it go ahead? I remember it happened for about a week with me and since then I haven’t gotten a text.

Maybe you have to opt-in but instead of blocking your transaction they will probably contact you first.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Doesn’t AIB have a new security feature where they send a text asking if you made a recent transaction and you can reply with a yes or no to let it go ahead? I remember it happened for about a week with me and since then I haven’t gotten a text.

Maybe you have to opt-in but instead of blocking your transaction they will probably contact you first.

I'm not 100% sure how Apple billing system works, but in that case, when you reply with Yes it was you, they release the request to take funds from the account.

I would imagine Apple would try around 3 times a day, which is normally industry standard

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Unless I get a really good deal off eir(under €850) I won’t be getting it! As much as I want it I just can’t justify sim free!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭stuck2007

I was just on the phone to Eir business looking for pricing ahead of the pre-order, for the €35+VAT per month package they are charging a massive €578+VAT for the iPhone X !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

stuck2007 wrote: »
    I was just on the phone to Eir business looking for pricing ahead of the pre-order, for the €35+VAT per month package they are charging a massive €578+VAT for the iPhone X !

seems ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

eeloe wrote: »
    Unless I get a really good deal off eir(under €850) I won’t be getting it! As much as I want it I just can’t justify sim free!

Yeah can't really justify the price of sim free, but I'm in contract until next sept. July is my upgrade date. Getting itchy fingers the closer we're getting to the 27th though

That's not to bad. The iPhone X is €958 ex VAT when buying from Apple Direct, and sure as hell won't get a discount of Apple for a product not in stock immediately.

So if we work out Eir wanting €578 ex Vat that's a difference of €380

€35 a month for 24 months is €840 plus iPhone €578 = €1,418 in total over 24 months.

€1,418 - €958 = €460 divided by 24 = €19.16 a month for your calls text a data.

So basically you work it out, what minutes texts and data are you getting for €19.16 per month from Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Same here but with a 1 year 10 month old and 3 year 5 month old anything could happen and probably would with a 1300 Euro phone !

Just don't let you two year old or three and a half year old near your phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭stuck2007

Ya in fairness it's good deal with eir for the phone, I suppose all the phones will be going that way with the price!

I get unlimited calls(to Ireland, UK), texts, 15GB of data, 1GB USA roaming

Ya in fairness it's good deal with eir for the phone, I suppose all the phones will be going that way with the price!

I get unlimited calls(to Ireland, UK), texts, 15GB of data, 1GB USA roaming

That's pretty good!

Even if we suggest Eir get the phone 6% less, its still works out at around 22 a month ex Vat that Eir are getting for the actual service - the rest is to pay for the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Does the grey version have a black rim on the front of the screen ?? (edge)
    I ask coz usually its white ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

That's not to bad. The iPhone X is €958 ex VAT when buying from Apple Direct, and sure as hell won't get a discount of Apple for a product not in stock immediately.

So if we work out Eir wanting €578 ex Vat that's a difference of €380

€35 a month for 24 months is €840 plus iPhone €578 = €1,418 in total over 24 months.

€1,418 - €958 = €460 divided by 24 = €19.16 a month for your calls text a data.

So basically you work it out, what minutes texts and data are you getting for €19.16 per month from Eir.

Yeh that’s good alright. Reconsidering holding off now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Effects wrote: »
    Just don't let you two year old or three and a half year old near your phone!

I don't intentionally but sometimes I leave it out of your hand and they get it.

• Advertisement

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Does the grey version have a black rim on the front of the screen ?? (edge)
    I ask coz usually its white ?

So you mean is the front of the space grey phone black? Normally the black/space grey iPhone has a black front, and the other colors have a white front.

But this time the front of both iPhone X models are black, probably because a white notch would stand out a bit too much. Also the OLED screen has a deeper black color so will blend in more with the notch.

This is the first year I’d consider a while iPhone because I was never a fan of the white bezel with a black screen. What are people going with this year?

Advertisement