Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Tazium wrote: »
    Quick Rant /

FaceID when it works is simple and fast. When it doesn't it's entirely inconvenient. With TouchID, no-one including my close family knew my pin, now I have to enter it so often with FaceID failing that they all know my pin-code.

Every single day, multiple times per day and night it fails to recognise me. I've taken to trying to teach it by using the pin on each failed attempt. But now I'm wishing for TouchID + OLED please.

Feck it anyway.

/Rant over

It sometimes fails for me, but I honestly don’t find it inferior to Touch ID. It just fails in different situations.

I actually want them to bring Face ID to the next iPads so that I can fully move on (well the MacBook Pro will be stuck with Touch ID for a while but I don’t mind that too much as it makes more sens next to a physical keyboard).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Quick Rant /

FaceID when it works is simple and fast. When it doesn't it's entirely inconvenient. With TouchID, no-one including my close family knew my pin, now I have to enter it so often with FaceID failing that they all know my pin-code.

Every single day, multiple times per day and night it fails to recognise me. I've taken to trying to teach it by using the pin on each failed attempt. But now I'm wishing for TouchID + OLED please.

Feck it anyway.

/Rant over

That doesn’t sound right. I can’t say a bad word about faceid. It works unless my face is obscured or if I’m not looking at phone. It also works when my face is wet, touchID doesn’t when hands are wet! :)

faceman wrote: »
    That doesn’t sound right. I can’t say a bad word about faceid. It works unless my face is obscured or if I’m not looking at phone. It also works when my face is wet, touchID doesn’t when hands are wet! :)

For me the two mains scenarios with issues are:
    - unlocking from a strange angle (this is not too often but happens regularity and Touch ID would have worked better)
    - when it was cold and I was wearing a coat with a tall collar covering part of my chin, my glasses, and a hat it would struggle and sometimes fail in strong light (but in that case Touch ID would be a better as I would also be wearing gloves)

So it is not perfect but overall I also like it better than Touch ID (which is not perfect either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Quick Rant /

Feck it anyway.

/Rant over
    Yeah, I've had a number of issues with it as well; it's the times when it's at an angle or in the dark, having to move the phone closer or directly into sight. The finger print sensor on the back of the phone, as other phones have, would have been handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

faceman wrote: »
    That doesn’t sound right. I can’t say a bad word about faceid.

Ditto, apart from the "learning" first few days, never had an issue, much prefer it to touchid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Hey guys,

So I'm planning on switching to the iPhone X once I get a refund for my pixel 2 XL (yeah 5 different phones each with dead pixel so done with that)

Never had an iPhone, always disliked them but I like the X because it's a different iPhone with the gestures etc , tried in store and way prefer it then the 8/8+!

I was wondering however if you think the X is still worth it 4 months on? From what I've been watching etc it looks amazing but you guys daily experience would be better :)

Thanks, really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I was wondering however if you think the X is still worth it 4 months on? From what I've been watching etc it looks amazing but you guys daily experience would be better :)

Absolutely, still love it no issues. Only phone I think I might prefer, if it existed would be an X plus.
    Love the X but sometimes miss the physical size of my previous 7+

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hey guys,

So I'm planning on switching to the iPhone X once I get a refund for my pixel 2 XL (yeah 5 different phones each with dead pixel so done with that)

Never had an iPhone, always disliked them but I like the X because it's a different iPhone with the gestures etc , tried in store and way prefer it then the 8/8+!

I got the chance of it mid contract. Sold the 7 to but it.
    It’s worth if for the camera alone in my opinion.

kceire wrote: »
    I got the chance of it mid contract. Sold the 7 to but it.
    It’s worth if for the camera alone in my opinion.

You do realise they're coming from a phone with a better camera than the X, right? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Thinking about picking up an X tomorrow on bill pay. Quoted €510 up front but they said they might be able do better. If they can't get closer to €450 I think I'll go for the 8+.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Basil3 wrote: »
    You do realise they're coming from a phone with a better camera than the X, right? :p

Sorry yeah. Just realised that.
    The X has the camera all iPhones should have full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

11.3 has made a nice difference to the X , a lot more snappier and face id more responsive.

Was doing a little charging test between my S8 fast charging and my X with a bog standard iPad air 2 charger. They were both at 75%. Surprisingly the X is at 85% and the S8 80%.

Was doing a little charging test between my S8 fast charging and my X with a bog standard iPad air 2 charger. They were both at 75%. Surprisingly the X is at 85% and the S8 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

So if you remember I was deciding rather or not to go for the iPhone X, would be my first iPhone. Well I picked it up yesterday and wow I love it so far. It's smooth, battery seems ok (still needs a bit of testing ) and I love the camera features. Granted it's only been a day but I don't think I'm an iPhone hater anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

So if you remember I was deciding rather or not to go for the iPhone X, would be my first iPhone. Well I picked it up yesterday and wow I love it so far. It's smooth, battery seems ok (still needs a bit of testing ) and I love the camera features. Granted it's only been a day but I don't think I'm an iPhone hater anymore :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple iPhone where everything just works much smoother and better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Some of the push notifications don’t work for me on certain apps with the x. I’ve tried everything logged out, signed out of Apple ID, uninstalled app, restarted phone.

nails1 wrote: »
    Some of the push notifications don’t work for me on certain apps with the x. I’ve tried everything logged out, signed out of Apple ID, uninstalled app, restarted phone.

Could be an issue with settings, an iOS bug, or a bug with the apps. But I doubt it's related to the X itself. Maybe a stupid question but you mad sure the app has permission to display notifications in iOS settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Bob24 wrote: »
    Could be an issue with settings, an iOS bug, or a bug with the apps. But I doubt it's related to the X itself. Maybe a stupid question but you mad sure the app has permission to display notifications in iOS settings?

Yep I’ve checked permission push settings. But same problem on my gf iPad. It’s actually the donedeal app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

So it is not just the iPhone X but an iPad also?? It is therefore the app, not the device. Classic case of a false positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Hi, a question about getting a phone in America please.
    I know someone going over, i could get them to pick one up for me. Id prefer to pre order on my card rather than giving them the cash, is this possible? Can i order online, and then get them to pick it up for me in a nominated store. Will they ask her for ID and the name from the credit card i paid with would obviously be different to hers?!

mel123 wrote: »
    I know someone going over, i could get them to pick one up for me. Id prefer to pre order on my card rather than giving them the cash, is this possible? Can i order online, and then get them to pick it up for me in a nominated store. Will they ask her for ID and the name from the credit card i paid with would obviously be different to hers?!

Haven’t done it in a while, but I believe you can nominate another person when you order from Apple with pick-up at an Apple Store (they will check ID so make sure there’s no typo in the name!)

The only thing is that unless it changed recently the website will only accept payment cards with a billing address in the US. My experience is that if you enter your Irish address except for the country/postcode where you enter US information, the transaction goes through. But obviously it is neither guaranteed nor perfect.

Also if you are not aware hotels will usually accept deliveries which come while you are staying there as a guest. So another option if your friend is staying at the same hotel for a long enough period is to confirm with the hotel that deliveries are ok and get it shipped there with your friend’s name. I’ve done that before in the US with no problem (of course it needs to be a reputable hotel).

Bob24 wrote: »
    Haven’t done it in a while, but I believe you can nominate another person when you order from Apple with pick-up at an Apple Store (they will check ID so make sure there’s no typo in the name!)

The only thing is that unless it charged recently the website will only accept payment card with a billing address in the US. My experience is that if you enter you enter your Irish address except for the country/postcode where you enter US information, the transaction goes through. But obviously it is neither guaranteed nor perfect.

Also if you are not aware hotels will usually accept deliveries which come while you are staying there as a guest. So another option if your friend is staying at the same hotel for a long enough period is to confirm with the hotel that deliveries are ok and get it shippers there with your friend’s name. I’ve done that before in the US with no problem (of course it needs to be a reputable hotel).

Thanks Bob very helpful info!!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭mayo pixiebell

Mr.S wrote: »
    When purchasing on the Apple US Store, you can select store pickup and then give the name of whoever is picking it up, they'll need to show ID.

To get around the US billing issue if your card isn't accepted, just use PayPal.

How much tax is added on? Just wondering if it really is cheaper to buy there by the time u add it all together

How much tax is added on? Just wondering if it really is cheaper to buy there by the time u add it all together

It is cheaper with tax, but ive just been online today and it doesnt look like they cover it under the warranty if you bring it back

Someone on here might confirm or deny any real life experience with this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

It is cheaper with tax, but ive just been online today and it doesnt look like they cover it under the warranty if you bring it back

Someone on here might confirm or deny any real life experience with this

Bought one in Massachusetts.

Sub-Total $ 999.00
    Tax@6.25% $ 62.44

Total price $ 1,061.44 which worked out at around 870 Euro ... so yeah, muuuuch cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Mr.S wrote: »
    When purchasing on the Apple US Store, you can select store pickup and then give the name of whoever is picking it up, they'll need to show ID.

To get around the US billing issue if your card isn't accepted, just use PayPal.

Different rates of sales tax in each state. Some have none. Delaware is low to none from what I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Easiest option would be to ask your friend to buy it with their Credit/Debit card and then just transfer the money to pay them back....

Or just give them your credit card to buy it for you. Dead easy.

The issue i have is the warranty, from reading online you dont seem to have one if you buy it and bring it back for use here, and it would be just my luck something would be wrong with the phone!

• Advertisement

The issue i have is the warranty, from reading online you dont seem to have one if you buy it and bring it back for use here, and it would be just my luck something would be wrong with the phone!

It’s a grey area. You don’t officially have warranty so a premium reseller in Ireland is unlikely to service your phone for free.

*but* if you travel to the Apple Store in Belfast or call Apple’s customer service and beg them for help, Apple will most likely repair the phone (although they don’t legally have to and might refuse if you’re unlucky).

Advertisement