Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

mel123 wrote: »
    The issue i have is the warranty, from reading online you dont seem to have one if you buy it and bring it back for use here, and it would be just my luck something would be wrong with the phone!

I brought an iphone 3GS back from Australia many years ago.

Had an issue with the button, drove up to belfast and was replaced no questions asked within a matter of seconds (I made an appoitnment of course)

Seems to me like your just trying to convince yourself that it'd better to buy it here.

My advise if you can get one in the USA , then get it there. It worked out at 870Euro for me instead of the Rip Off prices over here.

Have had no issues at all with the phone but I am confident that should something go wrong whist it is still under warranty , it will be honoured in the Belfast Apple store

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭mayo pixiebell

ION08 wrote: »
    I brought an iphone 3GS back from Australia many years ago.

Had an issue with the button, drove up to belfast and was replaced no questions asked within a matter of seconds (I made an appoitnment of course)

Seems to me like your just trying to convince yourself that it'd better to buy it here.

My advise if you can get one in the USA , then get it there. It worked out at 870Euro for me instead of the Rip Off prices over here.

Have had no issues at all with the phone but I am confident that should something go wrong whist it is still under warranty , it will be honoured in the Belfast Apple store

You’ve me sold!! I’m going to go ahead and get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Just remember that Irish customs may want you to pay duty on the importation of the phone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So 162 pages later what is the general view on it?

I can get a brand new iPhone X sim free through my wifes work (she gets them sim free, cost price and staff discount) for €500. Would be mental not too i like my iPhone 7 Plus and wondering is it worth the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I have to say I’m disappointed over all the WiFi and and phone reception are very poor in my opinion and iOS seems to be very buggy lately very far from the days of a smooth customer experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Great phone IMO. I upgraded for a 7 and don’t regret it. Problem is the price but if you have a significant discount on it it’s a no brainer.

I would agree with the above comment related to iOS being more buggy than it used to be, but it’s not specific to the X and has been the case for a couple of years. But I don’t have any problem to report related to the hardware of the phone.

If you can still have the same discount in a few months time, might be worth waiting for new models probably coming in Sep/Oct though so that your shiny new high end phone is the latest model for a bit more that 4-5 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Loving mine so far, getting way better battery then I used to on my 2xl, got 7 hours SOT at one point. Delighted so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bob24 wrote: »
    Great phone IMO. I upgraded for a 7 and don’t regret it. Problem is the price but if you have a significant discount on it it’s a no brainer.

I would agree with the above comment related to iOS being more buggy than it used to be, but it’s not specific to the X and has been the case for a couple of years. But I don’t have any problem to report related to the hardware of the phone.

If you can still have the same discount in a few months time, might be worth waiting for new models probably coming in Sep/Oct though so that your shiny new high end phone is the latest model for a bit more that 4-5 months?

Discount is based on length of service. It’s at its max now and my wife wants to use the next one in 6 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

How is everyones battery capacity holding up? I noticed mine today has gone down to 99% :-/. I bet when i go to sell this phone come September people will use the battery capacity reading an excuse for offering less for the phone because it won’t be at 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Micky 32 wrote: »
    How is everyones battery capacity holding up? I noticed mine today has gone down to 99% :-/. I bet when i go to sell this phone come September people will use the battery capacity reading an excuse for offering less for the phone because it won’t be at 100%.

100% but then again i haven’t had the phone too long.

Doubt people will use the battery health to negotiate a lower price unless it is significantly below 100% which i doubt it will be by September.

Even so, it actually makes sense to offer less for a phone with higher usage and a more degraded battery so I wouldn’t hold it against any potential buyer

• Advertisement

ION08 wrote: »
    100% but then again i haven’t had the phone too long.

Doubt people will use the battery health to negotiate a lower price unless it is significantly below 100% which i doubt it will be by September.

Even so, it actually makes sense to offer less for a phone with higher usage and a more degraded battery so I wouldn’t hold it against any potential buyer

+1 trying to bargain if the battery is still 95% (most phones will have retained that after a year) or more would be ridiculous and should rightly be discarded. Now it’s like 50% then then it clearly requires service and it would make sense that the battery condition reduces the price of the phone, and the seller should include it in their ad to avoid any surprise further down the line.

My battery is also currently 100% (I’ve had the phone since December)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

none of ye have had to deal with the shower that are Adverts users. 99% battery? ah here, Instead of €700 cash how about a bumper off a 1999 Avensis and a bag of used/unused D-cell batteries.

none of ye have had to deal with the shower that are Adverts users. 99% battery? ah here, Instead of €700 cash how about a bumper off a 1999 Avensis and a bag of used/unused D-cell batteries.

“Thanks for your offer but not interested.”

That’s how you deal with a silly offer (or just ignore them, and personally unless they have plenty of great feedback I wouldn’t entertain any further offer from that user as I would deem them unreliable).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There is a shower of messers on adverts recently. On every advert, I say quite clearly that stupid offers, or ones made to get around the minimum offer, won't be replied to. It makes life much easier.

On a side note, I'll give you a 20 Drachma note, and a bag of slightly out of date Maltesers for the Avensis Bumper.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

The new whatsapp update shows the recipient now, is there any way to turn it off to how it was previously? I.e. just showing you had a whatsapp text and not from who? Googled to no avail.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

numbernine wrote: »
    The new whatsapp update shows the recipient now, is there any way to turn it off to how it was previously? I.e. just showing you had a whatsapp text and not from who? Googled to no avail.

Thanks

Sounds like you need to check the notification centre on the iPhone rather than the WhatsApp

So I mean I guess you want it to go back to showing just message and not the person from on the lock screen or pull down menu yeah?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks

You can change this setting in the Notifications settings within iOS. Click whatsapp and change “Show Previews” to Never

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

Thanks, previews is just hiding a preview of the actual message, doesnt hide the recipient. Must be the new update on whats, iphone x is the only one that hid recipient anyway when X came out.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks, previews is just hiding a preview of the actual message, doesnt hide the recipient. Must be the new update on whats, iphone x is the only one that hid recipient anyway when X came out.

Thanks

Ah sorry yes, you’re right. That’s odd. Must be a whatsapp thing.

Thanks

So knowing how iOS works that seems impossible. WhatsApp cannot override the main setting that blocks details.

So what you are saying is:

On iPhone X when a new message came in it hid ALL details until you looked at the device and then it showed the message details? That is two stages working together.

Stage one is unique to FACE ID and that it auto blocks the details until you glance and look.
    Stage 2 is depending on your notifications preview. If allowed to show it shows the message. If not allowed, it only shows the recipient.

EDIT: try this

Go to Settings> General > Accessability > Face Id and Attention> Make sure both are turned on
    Then go to Settings again > notifications > Show preview > Never ( or only when unlocked - you choose )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It’s a WhatsApp change. Nothing to do with iPhone X. On other devices you can hide notifications as well but it’s enabled by default on the X due to how well it works with FaceID.

There’s nothing you can do to enable what you’re looking for unless WhatsApp change it in a future update. I wouldn’t hold out much hope because it’s been this way for a long time now on my phone at least.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It’s a WhatsApp change. Nothing to do with iPhone X. On other devices you can hide notifications as well but it’s enabled by default on the X due to how well it works with FaceID.

There’s nothing you can do to enable what you’re looking for unless WhatsApp change it in a future update. I wouldn’t hold out much hope because it’s been this way for a long time now on my phone at least.

I must still not be following then.

We have an iPhone X in the family and I used that to get the directions I posted yesterday. I cant seem to replicate it that only WhatsApp shows.

flexcon wrote: »
    I must still not be following then.

We have an iPhone X in the family and I used that to get the directions I posted yesterday. I cant seem to replicate it that only WhatsApp shows.

The image I’ve attached explains it.

For messenger, it hides the content of the message but also the sender.

For WhatsApp, it hides the content of the message but shows who the message is from. The person asking, wants it to hide the sender but it’s not something you can change. It’s something in WhatsApp’s court.

https://imgur.com/a/6E8ZwOf

FourFourFM wrote: »
    The image I’ve attached explains it.

For messenger, it hides the content of the message but also the sender.

For WhatsApp, it hides the content of the message but shows who the message is from. The person asking, wants it to hide the sender but it’s not something you can change. It’s something in WhatsApp’s court.

https://imgur.com/a/6E8ZwOf

ahah. Gotcha.

Dam that is odd. I can replicate that now also. Must be a mistake somewhere.

I'd nearly send that into Apple as that really is going against the whole point of preview being private.

ahah. Gotcha.

Dam that is odd. I can replicate that now also. Must be a mistake somewhere.

I'd nearly send that into Apple as that really is going against the whole point of preview being private.

It’s a WhatsApp issue not Apple. That’s how they choose to send the notification from the app.

Other apps like Snapchat, Messenger use a different style where it doesn’t show the sender until you unlock the phone.

Interesting that it's only the iPhone X right? and just started. No other apps show this and seemingly goes against the whole point of Preview function.

Wouldn't surprise me if it is something or a bug that isn't supposed to do this.

I have an SE and a buddy and iPhone 8 plus and this issue isn't showing. No contact shown with WhatsApp. he is running fastest version, I am still on 11.3.0.

https://imgur.com/a/QUach4i

So if its unique to the iPhone X and whats app its just plain odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Interesting that it's only the iPhone X right? and just started. No other apps show this and seemingly goes against the whole point of Preview function.

Wouldn't surprise me if it is something or a bug that isn't supposed to do this.

I have an SE and a buddy and iPhone 8 plus and this issue isn't showing. No contact shown with WhatsApp. he is running fastest version, I am still on 11.3.0.

https://imgur.com/a/QUach4i

So if its unique to the iPhone X and whats app its just plain odd.

I have an iPhone 8 running 11.3.1 and the latest version of Whatsapp and when I get a notification, I see the senders name

BDJW wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 8 running 11.3.1 and the latest version of Whatsapp and when I get a notification, I see the senders name

There we go. Interesting,

I was planning on updating my SE to the latest tonight anyway, so will report back tomorrow. Could narrow it down to 11.3.1. As I am up to date on WhatsApp running 11.3.1 and I cannot see the sender as shown above.

Be interesting to see tomorrow when I updated to 11.3.1 and get the sender.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Notifications on my X just started screwing up yesterday out of the blue. WhatsApp not the only app affected.

Names are missing from them, my WhatsApp ones just say “message” now. Saw the same for Facebook messenger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

awec wrote: »
    Notifications on my X just started screwing up yesterday out of the blue. WhatsApp not the only app affected.

Names are missing from them, my WhatsApp ones just say “message” now. Saw the same for Facebook messenger.

That is due to an update with WhatsApp. If you want your WhatsApp message notifications to show the senders name, but not the message....go into the settings on WhatsApp and enable message preview. Then go to the notifications settings on your phone and for WhatsApp preview set to never

Advertisement