Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

BDJW wrote: »
    That is due to an update with WhatsApp. If you want your WhatsApp message notifications to show the senders name, but not the message....go into the settings on WhatsApp and enable message preview. Then go to the notifications settings on your phone and for WhatsApp preview set to never
    Wow, they finally fixed something that has annoyed me for ages.

I can now not show message previews on the phone, but DO see message previews on my watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

apparently the next iphone are going to be cheaper.
    Not only that but you now get a fast charger included with a 1m usb-c cable.
    Apparently it will knock off around $170 of the price of a new iphone x with a fast charger and usb-c cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Blazer wrote: »
    apparently the next iphone are going to be cheaper.
    Not only that but you now get a fast charger included with a 1m usb-c cable.
    Apparently it will knock off around $170 of the price of a new iphone x with a fast charger and usb-c cable.

I bet it will only be usb-c on the end that plugs to the wall plug/computer. Still if it enables them to supply a fast charging power brick I’m for it.

Much prefer lightning as a connector than usb-c though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yes usb-c definitely means usb-c to lighting IMO. I don't see a usb-c connector coming to the iPhone, ever. While not an industry standard, lighting is Apple's standard for all devices and accessories, it is thinner, and it is sturdier. IMO lighting will only go away when apple removes the idea of connector altogether and goes full wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I also agree that lightning on iPhones will be around for the foreseeable future. It affords Apple a great deal of control of their devices in terms of charging and data control. A clear example of this is the change to the use of the lightning port in IOS 11.4 which will restrict the use of the lightning port to charging only if the phone is locked out. This will disable those Israeli hack boxes that law enforcement agencies have become fond of in recent months. This would not be possible, or at least not as easy, if USB-C was the standard for charging on iDevices.

• Advertisement

I bet it will only be usb-c on the end that plugs to the wall plug/computer. Still if it enables them to supply a fast charging power brick I’m for it.

Much prefer lightning as a connector than usb-c though.

yeah that's what I meant..lightning is here to stay for the foreseeable future anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Got my iPhone X today. Any recommendations where to get a screen protector put on in Diblin City? Made a bags of the one I got

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

godtabh wrote: »
    Got my iPhone X today. Any recommendations where to get a screen protector put on in Diblin City? Made a bags of the one I got

The X is the first iPhone I haven’t put a screen protector on and I’ve no regrets at all. My screen is nearly perfect, a few tiny really hard to see scratches at the button edge near the charging port (probably from taking it in and out of my pocket). But it’s close to looking brand new.

I am careful enough with it but don’t baby the phone and have dropped it a good few times. I’m also using a minimal ultra thin case that’s close to a skin and still not a crack on it.
    I’m either really lucky or the iPhone just doesn’t need bulky cases and tempered glass protectors anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

DubDJ wrote: »
    The X is the first iPhone I haven’t put a screen protector on and I’ve no regrets at all. My screen is nearly perfect, a few tiny really hard to see scratches at the button edge near the charging port (probably from taking it in and out of my pocket). But it’s close to looking brand new.

I am careful enough with it but don’t baby the phone and have dropped it a good few times. I’m also using a minimal ultra thin case that’s close to a skin and still not a crack on it.
    I’m either really lucky or the iPhone just doesn’t need bulky cases and tempered glass protectors anymore.

^ this. I haven’t used a screen protector since the 6. Never had issues. Screen protectors just cheapen the look of the phone.

faceman wrote: »
    ^ this. I haven’t used a screen protector since the 6. Never had issues. Screen protectors just cheapen the look of the phone.

I’ve ne we used a screen protector on any iPhone since the original one an no issue either.

I’d probably be more careful than average though as most of the time I don’t use cases either (I don’t have one on my X) and have never broken anything.

• Advertisement

I get why people use cases. but screen protectors ruin the feel of the main feature of a phone, the screen.

I get why people use cases. but screen protectors ruin the feel of the main feature of a phone, the screen.

+1

While I definitly prefer to go caseless I think there are clear use cases for cases (and if for exemple I had young children at home I’d probably reluctantly start using one). But while not completely scratch proof screens are fairly tough though these days and I can’t think of many situation where I would consider a screen protector.

Mr.S wrote: »
    My X is in near perfect condition, some light pocket scratches around the sides but nothing drastic.

Same here (even the chrome on my white model still looks very good, I thought it would scratch more easily and I’d have to polish it).

Actually in my experience for a careful (and maybe a bit lucky) person, a case can do more damage than good. It is not uncommon for small pieces of dust/dirt to get stuck between the phone and the case and over time as the phone moves ever so slightly inside the case it can cause small marks of abrasion.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Same here (even the chrome on my white model still looks very good, I thought it would scratch more easily and I’d have to polish it).

Actually in my experience for a careful (and maybe a bit lucky) person, a case can do more damage than good. It is not uncommon for small pieces of dust/dirt to get stuck between the phone and the case and ocen time as the phone moves ever so slightly inside the case it can cause small marks of abrasion.

That’s what happened to my iPhone 7. I used an ultra thin case on it and had the matte black version but when I took the case off the back had scuffs that were permanent. I took the case off my X two days ago to clean it up and there’s barely a mark on it. Same white model here and with the stainless steel band I assumed a lot more scratches.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have one of the official Apple leather cases on my X. First time I've ever put a case on my phone. The only reason I can tolerate it is I am coming from a 6s+ and the X with case is still smaller than a 6s+ in my pocket. And the apple cases don't look too bad.

Could never tolerate a case on the + phones.

DubDJ wrote: »
    That’s what happened to my iPhone 7. I used an ultra thin case on it and had the matte black version but when I took the case off the back had scuffs that were permanent.

I had the exact same issue with my space grey 6. Whereas my caseless matte black 7 still looked perfect after a year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've always had a case and screen protector on every iPhone, even the + models, since the original one back in the day.

The one thing i can't stand, is seeing someone who's spent 100's and now with the X over 1000 on a phone, and it's covered in scratches and cracked screens.

Usually go for the genuine Apple covers, leather and silicon, just because they fit the best, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I hate having covers as iPhones are always good looking phones but I’ve had to admit defeat on the last few models after dropping a couple of phones leading to smashed screens.

Would not buy a cover off Apple as they are ridiculously priced and it’s a myth that 3rd party covers don’t fit. I always get them on Ebay. Never spent more than a tenner and they’re perfect.

Hate the screen protectors. They look awful and change the feel of the screen and I’d say they also change the colours of the display.

I make sure to keep my keys and phone separate and always avoid scratches.

I now have the 8 plus with a clear plastic cover so you get to see most of the phone. Happy enough with that.
    I don’t get why people say why they wouldn’t put a cover on an plus model.

I look forward to the day that phones become indestructible and don’t require covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭mayo pixiebell

Anyone know if you can close the apps instead of them running in the back ground? Have tried swiping up but it does t close them?

tap and hold the app window in multitasking until a red dot with a white line appears. you can then tap the dot or swipe to kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 WhiteSpoofer

Anyone know if you can close the apps instead of them running in the back ground? Have tried swiping up but it does t close them?

They don’t run in the background. They’re in a suspended state and when you manually choose to open the app again it picks up where you left off. Manually “closing” apps from the multitasking tray is likely to have a negative impact on battery life as you’ll be reloading the apps from fresh every time you open it again after closing it.

Ahh thanks. Didn’t see that. Thanks for the replies. Suppose I don’t really need to close them then. Always thought you had to.

Another quick q. Can u get the percentage on the battery icon or is that gone?

Thanks again

Ahh thanks. Didn’t see that. Thanks for the replies. Suppose I don’t really need to close them then. Always thought you had to.

Another quick q. Can u get the percentage on the battery icon or is that gone?

Thanks again
    It’s been removed from most screens. You can still see the battery percentage a few ways.
    1. Drag down from the top right corner over the battery to bring up control center, the battery percentage is there.
    2. Add the battery widget to your widgets page so you can see if from there whenever you want.
    3. When the phone is charging if you tap or wake the screen the percentage shows up just below the time.

Thanks. So many little hints and tips. That’s great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anybody else noticing that when you raise to wake or just tap the screen to check the time that it’s all blurred?

Simple fix, turn off/on.
    But it’s annoying as it’s haoened twice over the last few days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

So I finally updated to the iPhone X. 24 hours of use and I have to say I like it, the thing that stands out to me the most (part from the screen), is the sound quality. It’s significantly better than the 7 and from a bit of googling it seems to be down to a superior DAC and better speakers.

I'm debating whether to pick up one now and flog my 7+ or wait for the new version. Which is still possibly 4 months away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm debating whether to pick up one now and flog my 7+ or wait for the new version. Which is still possibly 4 months away.

It may be announced in 4 months but I can’t see it being launched in 4 months

faceman wrote: »
    It may be announced in 4 months but I can’t see it being launched in 4 months

Why not? Aside from the X which came slightly later probably due to manufacturing delays, Apple has been pretty consistent in releasing new iPhone models in late September / early October since the 4S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I wouldn't bother your 7+ is a better phone, Apple are lagging behind android and that's from someone who has had apple iphones since day 1, the only reason I stay with Apple is the ios as I just don't like the android O/S, the X phone for me is the most overpriced phone there has ever been as it looks like it was rushed to market, maybe the next one will be an improvement and maybe the'll copy Samsung or just let Samsung build it for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5_uU3NNpw

Advertisement