Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

200motels wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother your 7+ is a better phone, Apple are lagging behind android and that's from someone who has had apple iphones since day 1, the only reason I stay with Apple is the ios as I just don't like the android O/S, the X phone for me is the most overpriced phone there has ever been as it looks like it was rushed to market, maybe the next one will be an improvement and maybe the'll copy Samsung or just let Samsung build it for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5_uU3NNpw

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I wouldn't bother your 7+ is a better phone, Apple are lagging behind android and that's from someone who has had apple iphones since day 1, the only reason I stay with Apple is the ios as I just don't like the android O/S, the X phone for me is the most overpriced phone there has ever been as it looks like it was rushed to market, maybe the next one will be an improvement and maybe the'll copy Samsung or just let Samsung build it for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5_uU3NNpw

That’s factually incorrect, the X is a superior phone in almost every way. There’s a couple of things on the X that some might find worse (no home button, new UI to enable the touch gestures) but overall the X has better specs and the biggest redesign since the original iPhone. Those reasons might mean you prefer the old iPhone design but everything else about it is a better experience.

I do agree that it’s overpriced and shouldn’t have ever reached that price. I completely disagree that the 7plus is a better phone or that the iPhone is lagging behind Android phones.

Android phones will have better individual features etc, same as the iPhone but neither OS/handset is significantly better than the other. It’s just small things and preference these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

DubDJ wrote: »
    That’s factually incorrect, the X is a superior phone in almost every way. There’s a couple of things on the X that some might find worse (no home button, new UI to enable the touch gestures) but overall the X has better specs and the biggest redesign since the original iPhone. Those reasons might mean you prefer the old iPhone design but everything else about it is a better experience.

I do agree that it’s overpriced and shouldn’t have ever reached that price. I completely disagree that the 7plus is a better phone or that the iPhone is lagging behind Android phones.

Android phones will have better individual features etc, same as the iPhone but neither OS/handset is significantly better than the other. It’s just small things and preference these days.
    I would disagree that the x is the best phone out there it surely is not, of course the fan boys in here wouldn't say a bad word against them, as I said I've had them since they came out and the X is worst phone they have made, well they didn't make it as the screen is Samsung and the rest bits from all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I would disagree that the x is the best phone out there it surely is not, of course the fan boys in here wouldn't say a bad word against them, as I said I've had them since they came out and the X is worst phone they have made, well they didn't make it as the screen is Samsung and the rest bits from all over the place.

It's a good phone and im definitely not a fan boy, infact i've been an apple hater until I got the phone in April. Would I get any other apple phone other then the X? No, I only got the X because it is more fluid with the gestures etc. Does it have problems? Ofc but name me a phone that doesn't have a single problem?

How is it the worst phone they have made? The screen is great, Android is trying to copy it but cannot so far always having the chin at the bottom (Yes theres the whole patent thing etc blah blah). Samsung provides the screens for the majority of phones in the Android industry so I can't see how that is an argument against this phone? Processors, Ram etc for every phone is from 'all over the place'. Apple just optimises stuff to be good.

Coming from a Pixel 2XL which I had to replace 5 times for dead pixels and camera dying, and having no other choice in the Android ecosystem for a good comparative phone, this is the next best thing.

Explain why you believe the X is the worst phone Apple have produced?

You mention Samsung provide the displays for the X - fine. This isn’t exactly shocking news. LG made the displays for the previous phones. Why is it relevant for the X in comparison to previous iPhones just because it’s Samsung? Half of the chips in the 6S models were from Samsung. So?

You seem obsessed with what companies are supplying the components for the iPhone. It’s very weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't feed the troll...

Firstly, I never said it was the best phone out there. I said it was the best phone Apple have every made, relating to your comment about the 7+ being a better phone.

In my opinion it is the best phone for me, I’m not a fan of Android so I picked the best iOS device. The same will go for most people who prefer iOS to Android. If you prefer Android, there’s a lot of choice but it’s usually Samsung S9, Pixel XL or budget flagships such as OnePlus. Again, all great phones but have minor differences that appeal to different people.

Also, there’s not a single mobile handset in the world that is completely made with components from the brand selling the device. They all use various chips/storage/ram/screens and a number of smaller items such as metals and glass panels. That’s a ridiculous argument you’re trying to make.

Your first comment I thought you might be just misinformed or adverse to change. But as the above post mentioned, maybe you’re just trolling. Usually when the word ‘fanboy’ pops up it’s just childish trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I had a Samsung S8 and i now have an X. The S8 was a brilliant phone and i used it for 6 months. I now have an X . No way would i go back to the S8 because the iphone feels more premium and polished and it edges it on screen qualit too, the Android just kinda felt cheap , graphics, icons , text etc

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭golfpaul

So where’s the cheapest place to buy the X SIM free in Ireland? I see a number of Seller’s on adverts offering 64Gb for €850. Is there any issue with these as they are sealed?
    Thanks
    Paul

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

golfpaul wrote: »
    So where’s the cheapest place to buy the X SIM free in Ireland? I see a number of Seller’s on adverts offering 64Gb for €850. Is there any issue with these as they are sealed?
    Thanks
    Paul

Should be no problem.
    As with any adverts item, check the seller. Check their feedback and if they consistently sell similar stuff over a long period of time then you can kinda get the opinion that they either come across upgrades or buy in another country and sell in bulk to make profit.

I’ve bought before and I’m actually due to get an X for the other half today from adverts so just do your homework.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just a follow up to confirm I bought he X for herself last night from adverts.

I used a seller called ddubkinn

He has 100% feedback and sells all electronics and phones etc.

Weird thing just happened with my iPhone X. Been using it for most of the day without a problem and just picked it up there and the screen wasn't detecting any swipes or taps. 3D Touch didn't work either. The touch screen was completely unresponsive. Eventually I restarted the phone but still wasn't working after the restart. I'm restoring it with iTunes at the moment but it's something I've never experienced with an iPhone before. Everything else worked ok, receiving calls and raise to wake and power button was working etc. Just the touch screen.

Hoping its not a broken touch display as I don't fancy sending it back to Apple.

Edit: Restore did nothing, the touch screen is just completely unresponsive to touch. Got the phone on launch day and haven't had an issue with it before.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Weird, i’ve Never heard of that happening either.

Did it get a knock or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Weird thing just happened with my iPhone X. Been using it for most of the day without a problem and just picked it up there and the screen wasn't detecting any swipes or taps. 3D Touch didn't work either. The touch screen was completely unresponsive. Eventually I restarted the phone but still wasn't working after the restart. I'm restoring it with iTunes at the moment but it's something I've never experienced with an iPhone before. Everything else worked ok, receiving calls and raise to wake and power button was working etc. Just the touch screen.

Hoping its not a broken touch display as I don't fancy sending it back to Apple.

Edit: Restore did nothing, the touch screen is just completely unresponsive to touch. Got the phone on launch day and haven't had an issue with it before.

Sounds like a dead digitizer. Unfortunately you might need to get a replacement.

The iPhone battery went dead overnight, I was planning on bringing it to one of the authorised repair stores today so I put it on charge for a bit so there’d be a little battery for testing. And now the screen is working again.

Despite multiple restarts and a complete restore the only thing that seemed to fix the problem was letting the battery run out.

It’s been the strangest issue and one of the only ones I’ve had over the last 10 years of using Apple stuff. In the end it must of been some sort of software/hardware glitch combined.

Dealing with Apple’s customer support really does make it clear that Apple needs an official store over here at this stage, it’s beyond ridiculous that they don’t.

Saying that, I haven’t used the Apple support section in years but it’s a lot better now, with much more detailed sections and the online chat is an excellent addition. Although the phone service was always great it’s sometimes more convenient to just use the chat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

considering the number of apple users in the country now a days, it's actually madness that we don't have a store, even in the capital.

CompuB is grand, but their repair process is bull****, it's basically a mail in service, that you can complete yourself.

Having been in many apple stores over the years, event the smaller ones in malls in the states, they still have 30+ staff members present at any one time, between sales reps and the genius bars, and then the back room staff who do the repairs.

Would they get the turn over to maintain that level of service?

Some people say they can’t open retail stores here for tax reasons, but I never really understood why and I don’t think it was ever explained clearly with detailed legal justification, so I am taking this with a huge pinch of salt.

But I think Ireland might be too small a market for Apple to bother. Dublin could provide enough traffic for 1 or maybe 2 stores, Cork possible for another one, and that’s it. They might see it as not being worth the hassle to setup a retail organisation here for just 1-3 stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

eeloe wrote: »
    considering the number of apple users in the country now a days, it's actually madness that we don't have a store, even in the capital.

CompuB is grand, but their repair process is bull****, it's basically a mail in service, that you can complete yourself.

Having been in many apple stores over the years, event the smaller ones in malls in the states, they still have 30+ staff members present at any one time, between sales reps and the genius bars, and then the back room staff who do the repairs.

Would they get the turn over to maintain that level of service?

The Apple repair process is one of the best out of any company in the world. Chat to someone online, they'll send you the boxes via ups etc who know the story.
    You get a text telling you what time your box will arrive, ups guy drops it and waits for you to put the apple item inside it , takes it away and a few days later drops back a replacement one for you. How hard is that?
    Try dealing with other companies where you have to pay for the broken items to be returned and that you could be waiting upto a month for a replacement item.

Blazer wrote: »
    The Apple repair process is one of the best out of any company in the world. Chat to someone online, they'll send you the boxes via ups etc who know the story.
    You get a text telling you what time your box will arrive, ups guy drops it and waits for you to put the apple item inside it , takes it away and a few days later drops back a replacement one for you. How hard is that?
    Try dealing with other companies where you have to pay for the broken items to be returned and that you could be waiting upto a month for a replacement item.
    Man this was the dumbest post I'll probably read on here today.

You are both correct because you are talking about different things (with that in mind I’d suggest you reconsider calling the other post dumb).

If you stick with Apple’s mail-in process things are indeed as good as it gets.

But if you want service from a brick and mortar location which is what the other poster was referring to, I can confirm APRs in Ireland can be pretty appalling (personal experience with CompuB, which is where Apple directed me to rather than using the mail-in service to have an iPhone serviced and I was initially happy about it as the store is just 2 minutes walk from my office, but the experience was awfull and next time I’ll definitely tell Apple I want them to ship a replacement instead).

yep you're right. I missed the compub part.
    I'm the dumbass :) apologies OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dublin is well big enough to support an Apple Store.

It's bigger than Belfast, Leeds, Manchester, Bristol and hell even Brighton and Hove in the U.K. all of which have an Apple Store.

Now I know it's easier to have those smaller stores since they have the flagships in London etc. but still Ireland specifically Dublin (and it's surrounding areas) could easily support at least one store.

There's some good points in here why they wouldn't bother and can't say I disagree with some of them.

http://www.thejournal.ie/apple-store-ireland-1999423-Mar2015/

Dublin is well big enough to support an Apple Store.

It's bigger than Belfast, Leeds, Manchester, Bristol and hell even Brighton and Hove in the U.K. all of which have an Apple Store.

Now I know it's easier to have those smaller stores since they have the flagships in London etc. but still Ireland specifically Dublin (and it's surrounding areas) could easily support at least one store.

That’s that thing: the problem is not with Dublin’s market which is large enough to support one (or even 2) stores, but with the Irish market as a whole which is not large enough to support a decent fleet of stores. Belfast has one because it can rely on the the UK retail organisation which includes dozens of stores. Setting up a similar Irish organisation for just one, two, or 3 stores in the Republic is probably seen by Apple as not worth their while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As has been discussed here many times before, Apple expand their retail operation one country at a time. As Bob said, they don't look at it in terms of Dublin but of Ireland as a whole, so they are going to prioritise what they see as the most important markets. Whether it makes sense for them to do it that way can be debated, but that's how they do it.

Anyway I'd be fine with sending phones directly to Apple if they offered the Express Replacement Service to everyone and not just AppleCare customers.

Anyway I'd be fine with sending phones directly to Apple if they offered the Express Replacement Service to everyone and not just AppleCare customers.

Express replacement seems to be only available to AppleCare+ customers now so you need the more expensive plan to take advantage.

Could somebody tell me where the settings for 3D Touch are located? I just noticed that it works on the home screen icons, but doesn’t work anywhere else on Safari and third party apps.

I went into Settings>General>Accessibility but there is no 3D Touch option on my X. Has it moved? Or maybe something is wrong with my iPhone screen after all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Express replacement seems to be only available to AppleCare+ customers now so you need the more expensive plan to take advantage.

Yeah but the only AppleCare for iPhone is AppleCare+. The standard (non-plus) plan for iPhone is long gone.

Could somebody tell me where the settings for 3D Touch are located? I just noticed that it works on the home screen icons, but doesn’t work anywhere else on Safari and third party apps.

I went into Settings>General>Accessibility but there is no 3D Touch option on my X. Has it moved? Or maybe something is wrong with my iPhone screen after all.

I do see 3D Touch listed under accessibility on mine, between Siri and Tap to wake.

I’m on iOS 11.4.

You can get the express replacement service with AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+

Apple no longer sell APP for devices that can get AC+ in Ireland though.

• Advertisement

It’s not on mine for some strange reason.

3_D5288_D7_5_EB7_4722_9816_E89_D32_F352_D7.jpg

Advertisement