Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

DubDJ wrote: »
    It’s not on mine for some strange reason.

You’re missing two display settings. Which are likely linked to your display issues.

Could be hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Strange, I have more options than you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’ll probably book an appointment to get it checked and replaced hopefully. Whole situation is strange.

I’ll probably book an appointment to get it checked and replaced hopefully. Whole situation is strange.

Might not help, but before doing that maybe you can try to force a hard reboot: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/ht201412

Bob24 wrote: »
    Might not help, but before doing that maybe you can try to force a hard reboot: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/ht201412
    Thanks for that I tried that just there and freshly restored the phone this morning but still have the issue. Usually a restart does fix this type of problem. The two screen shots posted on the last page aren't loading for me either. It only shows the top part of the image, probably a boards.ie issue though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that I tried that just there and freshly restored the phone this morning but still have the issue. Usually a restart does fix this type of problem. The two screen shots posted on the last page aren't loading for me either. It only shows the top part of the image, probably a boards.ie issue though.

Actually I can’t load them either (including mine). Probably an issue with the way images are uploaded to boards on iOS.

But essentially you are missing entries for 3D Touch and Tap to Wake, which should both be in between Siri and Keyboard.

Actually I can’t load them either (including mine). Probably an issue with the way images are uploaded to boards on iOS.

But essentially you are missing entries for 3D Touch and Tap to Wake, which should both be in between Siri and Keyboard.

Tap to wake too? Thanks for that I didn’t realise that wasn’t there either. Definitely display related then with two display settings now available. At least I have another X to compared it to, I originally thought the settings had changed or that the iPhone X had separate ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Hi all, I’m wondering is there any way I can get the bokeh depth adjustment on the X? Don’t want to fork out €1200 just to get that effect but I use the portrait mode a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Shn99 wrote: »
    Hi all, I’m wondering is there any way I can get the bokeh depth adjustment on the X? Don’t want to fork out €1200 just to get that effect but I use the portrait mode a lot

Unfortunately not.

It’s not an iOS update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Is it much of a jump from a 7plus to new xs ?

Looking at smaller screen model , is it worth the diff

• Advertisement

It really would depend on you personally, better off to check one out in store sometime. I find some people will find upgrades more impressive than others.

Keep in mind, a lot of people on here have said they found it difficult going from a plus model to the standard X or Xs size. Even though they are technically larger screen sizes, a few were looking for the Xs Max that they released this year instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

It really would depend on you personally, better off to check one out in store sometime. I find some people will find upgrades more impressive than others.

Keep in mind, a lot of people on here have said they found it difficult going from a plus model to the standard X or Xs size. Even though they are technically larger screen sizes, a few were looking for the Xs Max that they released this year instead.

I wish i got the 7

As the 7 Plus at times i find too big

I wish i got the 7

As the 7 Plus at times i find too big
    Well in that case you’ll probably love the smaller 5.8” version. I was the same, never a fan of the large screen phone, just because of size. When the X was announced with close enough to the same size but a much bigger screen I was all over it.

It is a big upgrade yes. I moved from the 7 to the X last year and now when I look at the previous design iPhones (Plus or not) they are still nice but seem dated.

There area few reasons for this, but the top one is that the larger screen area in a smaller form factor allowed by the edge to edge display makes a significant difference.

And it might be a personal thing but in terms of design and being nice to look at and handle, IMO the X is the best iPhone since the 4 (definitely superior to the 6/6s/7 design, and I had a 6 and a 7).

PS: that’s not to say the older phones are bad, but there definitly is a significant jump.

It is a big upgrade yes. I moved from the 7 to the X last year and now when I look at the previous design iPhones (Plus or not) they are still nice but seem dated.

There area few reasons for this, but the top one is that the larger screen area in a smaller form factor allowed by the edge to edge display makes a significant difference.

And it might be a personal thing but in terms of design and being nice to look at and handle, IMO the X is the best iPhone since the 4 (definitely superior to the 6/6s/7 design, and I had a 6 and a 7).

PS: that’s not to say the older phones are bad, but there definitly is a significant jump.

I upgraded from the 6 to X and it was substantial..performance wise, weight ect. It’s about the same size as the 6 but with more screen real estate due to not having bezels

Several outlets reporting Apple is looking to restart production of the iPhone X after it failed to meet a quota with Samsung for supplying the OLEDs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Discontinuing the X was foolish. Maybe if they had dropped the price of the XS, but they didn't. A few weeks ago when I was flirting with getting a new phone I was considering getting a discounted X from Compub. I have no need for the XS and the XR is too big.

Rumour has it that they are considering restarting production of the X as the XS doesn’t sell enough to cover all the OLED displays they committed to buying.

Having said that I can see why they stopped the X: they wanted the original X design to remain clearly top of the line with a price premium, with the XR taking the mid-range spot. No space left for the original X in that strategy.

But yeah definitely agree with you that a major issue with the XR is that it’s too large for a good number of customers.

In any case, I’m happy I got the X last year. Still is a great device and there’s nothing to make me want to updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I wouldn’t take it that then buying more screens as meaning the X is definitely coming back. They could be stock piling for repair jobs too. Unlikely but I doubt we’ll see the X make a comeback unless there’s something different about the phone (change of cpu/ram/etc.)

I wouldn’t take it that then buying more screens as meaning the X is definitely coming back. They could be stock piling for repair jobs too. Unlikely but I doubt we’ll see the X make a comeback unless there’s something different about the phone (change of cpu/ram/etc.)
    See earlier post, Apple had a quota to meet with Samsung supplying the OLEDs however they won’t due to poor XS sales, that’s why the X is going to be made again. It’ll be sold to carriers ect and authorized Apple resellers, highly doubt it will be sold on the Apple website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Same as the 6s, 7 etc, still sold by Apple but not directly to the general public. They were never really discontinued.

It’s not that they are buying more displays. What the rumour says is that they had committed to buying a minimum quantity and that XS sales are currently not enough to use up that quota so they are considering using those displays to restart X production.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Does AppleCare+ provide cover for loss and theft?

According to this article it does:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/12/17852130/apple-applecare-loss-theft-coverage-new

But maybe that’s just in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

quarryman wrote: »
    Does AppleCare+ provide cover for loss and theft?

According to this article it does:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/12/17852130/apple-applecare-loss-theft-coverage-new

But maybe that’s just in the US?

That level of cover is not offered in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Rumour has it that they are considering restarting production of the X as the XS doesn’t sell enough to cover all the OLED displays they committed to buying.

Having said that I can see why they stopped the X: they wanted the original X design to remain clearly top of the line with a price premium, with the XR taking the mid-range spot. No space left for the original X in that strategy.

But yeah definitely agree with you that a major issue with the XR is that it’s too large for a good number of customers.

In any case, I’m happy I got the X last year. Still is a great device and there’s nothing to make me want to updated.

Yeah but they've been selling last gen phones for years without impacting the premium status of their latest and greatest. So I think there was space for the X too. They just either greatly overestimated XS sales (and thus how many OLEDS they would need) or they knew if given the choice many people might buy a discounted X rather than an XS or an XR. They recently stopped reporting unit sales because they've obviously dropped, so this might have been an attempt to push people toward the new phones. If so it apparently hasn't worked very well. The XS is probably overpriced and overpowered for many people's needs and as we both agree the XR isn't going to appeal to everyone.

Anyway it seems Japan is where the XS and XR is selling worst. Reports that the XR will get greater subsidies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Didn't it come up about hand size in Asia when they were released that it was going to affect sales.

Yeah but they've been selling last gen phones for years without impacting the premium status of their latest and greatest. So I think there was space for the X too.

Don’t forget though that from the start the X was a new product class in the iPhone lineup with a price much higher than anything before. So it can’t really compare to what was done with previous generations in terms of reusing last gen models.

In short Apple’s view is that if a customer wants a super premium phone they need to pay top dollar for the latest gen of that super premium design. And otherwise they should look at the XR that Apple also sees as a premium phone (although not quite as much). And for the “budget” crowd looking for previous gens they have the 7/8.

How would the original X fit in that product line in terms of pricing and in a way which makes sense to Apple? And also how would they market it given that in terms of design/built it is clearly more premium that the XR but in terms processing power it is weaker?

Didn't it come up about hand size in Asia when they were released that it was going to affect sales.

Maybe Japan is the exception but I thought Asians loved their phablets, no?
    Don’t forget though that from the start the X was a new product class in the iPhone lineup with a price much higher than anything before. So it can’t really compare to what was done with previous generations in terms of reusing last gen models.

In short Apple’s view is that if a customer wants a super premium phone they need to pay top dollar for the latest gen of that super premium design. And otherwise they should look at the XR that Apple also sees as a premium phone (although not quite as much). And for the “budget” crowd looking for previous gens they have the 7/8.

How would the original X fit in that product line in terms of pricing and in a way which makes sense to Apple? And also how would they market it given that in terms of design/built it is clearly more premium that the XR but in terms processing power it is weaker?

Well, putting aside supply chain and component cost issues over OLED screens etc, they could have done what they did every previous year and knocked a 100 off the X and continued selling it. There's a big price gap between the XR and XS that it could have filled. The issue of a more expensive model having weaker performance but superior design is already a problem all over their other line-ups and has been for years. I'd argue the XR with its larger screen has already complicated the iPhone line-up in the same way. The simplicity of the cheaper model being the smaller one is gone.

Well, putting aside supply chain and component cost issues over OLED screens etc, they could have done what they did every previous year and knocked a 100 off the X and continued selling it. There's a big price gap between the XR and XS that it could have filled. The issue of a more expensive model having weaker performance but superior design is already a problem all over their other line-ups and has been for years. I'd argue the XR with its larger screen has already complicated the iPhone line-up in the same way. The simplicity of the cheaper model being the smaller one is gone.
    If they kept the iPhone X on sale then why would anyone buy the XS? It’s an S update after all...

• Advertisement

That would have made the X just 100 euros more than the XR which I would argue would have made the XR a very tough one to sell and at the same time cannibalised the XS. It’s a matter of point of view but I can see how it didn’t make sense to Apple (i can imagine reviews of the XR would have said for 100 euros more the X is a much more premium experience and reviews of the XS that unless you have a specific need for power the X is essentially the same device for cheaper - quite a problem for Apple if the old model is touted as better alternative to both new ones).

Advertisement