Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What’s the story with using the X as a night stand clock and the oled screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

DubDJ wrote: »
    So you mean is the front of the space grey phone black? Normally the black/space grey iPhone has a black front, and the other colors have a white front.

But this time the front of both iPhone X models are black, probably because a white notch would stand out a bit too much. Also the OLED screen has a deeper black color so will blend in more with the notch.

This is the first year I’d consider a while iPhone because I was never a fan of the white bezel with a black screen. What are people going with this year?

Same here thats why Im just looking at the grey ... am thinking of getting it due to that black edging
    but wanted to make sure... all pics so far that I see seem to be of the black ones front screen

Anyone actually use the Eir network ? I left three and went to Meteor on prepay for a Month, reception is brutal. Couldn't stream Spotify on max quality on the M9, Carlow To Dublin properly at all , almost constant buffering, back on Three and much, much better. Lower quality settings worked ok but still buffering regularly but not as bad, honestly I was far from impressed. Three has come on a lot in the last few years.

I'd advise anyone thinking of changing network to try pre pay first then you can cancel any time. On bill pay, after two weeks from signing up they have you and poor network or slow speeds is not a valid reason to get out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Anyone actually use the Eir network ? I left three and went to Meteor on prepay for a Month, reception is brutal. Couldn't stream Spotify on max quality on the M9, Carlow To Dublin properly at all , almost constant buffering, back on Three and much, much better. Lower quality settings worked ok but still buffering regularly but not as bad, honestly I was far from impressed. Three has come on a lot in the last few years.

I'd advise anyone thinking of changing network to try pre pay first then you can cancel any time. On bill pay, after two weeks from signing up they have you and poor network or slow speeds is not a valid reason to get out of contract.

The general consensus is that Eir on average is better. So your experience of having a better average speed on Three than Eir is at odds with both the peoples consensus here and on Facebook, but also the amount of Masts between the two 3 having approx 1,000 and Eir having approx 1300 ( could have changed over the past year with the merger)

If you have a €1200 phone that can utilize 4G+ but then go and spend 20 quid a month for ll you can eat data, then the experience as a whole wouldn't be great.

On vodafone, sure they don't give as much data and charge more, but in return the experience on average is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Advertisement

flexcon wrote: »
    The general consensus is that Eir on average is better. So your experience of having a better average speed on Three than Eir is at odds with both the peoples consensus here and on Facebook, but also the amount of Masts between the two 3 having approx 1,000 and Eir having approx 1300 ( could have changed over the past year with the merger)

If you have a €1200 phone that can utilize 4G+ but then go and spend 20 quid a month for ll you can eat data, then the experience as a whole wouldn't be great.

On vodafone, sure they don't give as much data and charge more, but in return the experience on average is better.

Perhaps but not in my experience. Even in my work the signal was very poor, not so on three.

Without doubt since the merger three has vastly improved.

But as I said, I highly advise people to try any new network on prepay for a Month first.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Aye I switched to eir from three and it's night and day better, in my case. Better, faster coverage. Customer service is a lot better too, which is the main reason I have up on three.

Oh believe me , I know three is far from perfect but rather than rant on OT I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Oh believe me , I know three is far from perfect but rather than rant on OT I'll leave it at that.

Yeah, eir ain't perfect either. None of them are, but it suits my needs right now. Bear in mind I'm based in Dublin, and nearly always here so my experiences with coverage is probably very different. Once my contract is up I'll be shopping around again, but with eir at the top of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

My experience in terms of data performance: Vodafone > Eir > Three (which is consistent with their pricing).

But anyway is this not drifting off topic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

How much is this gonna be here? a grand?

How much is this gonna be here? a grand?

€1179 64gb

€1349 256gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

snowflaker wrote: »
    Anyone any good recommendations for a cover. I like the wallet ones.

not a wallet one but Rhinoshield and their screen protector

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

Have any of the providers said how much the phone will be with plans? I cant find anything online so i am assuming they havent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

R777B wrote: »
    Have any of the providers said how much the phone will be with plans? I cant find anything online so i am assuming they havent

Pricing will be released on pre order day which is this Friday.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Where are peeps getting cases for the X? I’ve been looking online and it’s pricey, particularly when you add in shipping costs. (Someone posted a link to Moshi but the robbing geebags want €15 for delivery!)

Any bricks and mortars stocking them yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Amazon UK are handy for cases. I’ll probably pick up a wireless charger too so it should bring the order up enough for free delivery. You can get a case and charger on Amazon for £25 (less than €30) and it would still be cheaper than what a lot of case manufacturers charge e.g Otterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Why buy a great phone and skimp on the cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

How do you know it’s a great phone 😄
    Price doesn’t always reflect its greatness (which can be subjective I guess).
    Looking forward to the release though, the reviews in general and in here (hope those wanting it won’t be disappointed when it sells out).

Like moshi otter box etc the high end cases. No Cheap €10 nasty from China (Direct)

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Where are peeps getting cases for the X? I’ve been looking online and it’s pricey, particularly when you add in shipping costs. (Someone posted a link to Moshi but the robbing geebags want €15 for delivery!)

Any bricks and mortars stocking them yet?

Free delivery for orders over €60

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

remind me again, this is available to preorder Friday at 8am, that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Headshot wrote: »
    remind me again, this is available to preorder Friday at 8am, that correct?

Its 8:01 officially :Dhttps://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-x

Like I have done for the past 8 years of iPhone ownership. I shan’t be getting a plastic or otherwise cover.

I like my iPhone neked. Just like the day they were born. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

The guy in an Eir shop told me over the weekend the phone on contract will be €600+. Almost fell over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

At the end of the day the cover is just a piece of plastic/rubber. I know some line the inside with felt but I don’t feel like I’m getting value for money spending 50 Euro on a phone case.

I think 10-20 is a decent amount to pay for a good case. I tend to go for the bare minimum to protect against small drops and scratches. I bought one from Caudabe for 20, I recently replaced it with a similar one from Amazon that cost me 5 pound and there was no difference in the quality.

I’m probably going to do the same with the iPhone X. A €10 case is usually what I budget for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Bonavox wrote: »
    The guy in an Eir shop told me over the weekend the phone on contract will be €600+. Almost fell over.

That was always going to be the case when you consider Eir pricing for the iPhone 8.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

My best deal seems to be SIM free then 6 months 1/2 price bill pay with IDMobile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Marty Bird wrote: »
    That was always going to be the case when you consider Eir pricing for the iPhone 8.

Fools and their money etc etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bonavox wrote: »

I don't know why, it was entirely predictable.

Advertisement