Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 + 8 Plus - Discussion

Options
  • 13-09-2017 1:16pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Let's keep this post for discussion of the 8 and 8 Plus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Casualcontrol1

I'm looking forward to the 8 I have a 5s at the moment since 2014 so well due an upgrade. Don't mind spending the money in one sense cause this phone I have 4 years and still good as new.

What are people's thoughts on the storage options? I currently have 16gb so hoping the 64gb will be plenty.

I'd love to hear people opinions on the 8 v 8+. I think I'd like the 8 but I've heard some people comment that the plus is hard to hold. Would love some advice thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I'm looking forward to the 8 I have a 5s at the moment since 2014 so well due an upgrade. Don't mind spending the money in one sense cause this phone I have 4 years and still good as new.

What are people's thoughts on the storage options? I currently have 16gb so hoping the 64gb will be plenty.

I'd love to hear people opinions on the 8 v 8+. I think I'd like the 8 but I've heard some people comment that the plus is hard to hold. Would love some advice thanks

If you’ve managed with 16gb since 2014, then 64 will be plenty.

On the 8 vs 8+, it’ll come down to personal preference. Main advantages the Plus are better camera spec and bigger battery. But for me, neither of those are a big enough advantage over the 8 to sway me to go to that size, it’s just too big for what I want. I’d go with an 8 over an 8+ for sure, and if you’re used to a 5, the Plus will seem huge. Best bet is to go to a phone shop and hold both in your own hands for a while and see what you think yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Think I am going to go with the 8+ I have an iPhone 6. Mainly for all the better stuff, camera etc. Worried it is to big though. I would imagine going from the se to a + would be tough. I really wanted the X. But the price and Face ID has put me off it.

64GB is loads. I have 40GG of music. But I don't have it all on it. I use iTunes Plus. I tend to take a lot of pictures and videos. The result is iCloud back up does fill up very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Can anyone shead some light on the pre order on the 8 I'm going to pre order but I want to collect in Belfast like last time I did it, do you pre order the day before or do I do it tomorrow and collect when available?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have been out of contract since last December and was going to go with the 8 when it was released until I discovered that its nothing more than a jazzed up 7. I thought it would be a new design phone.

Why didn't they go with the normal 7S name and leave '8' for an entirely new phone?

I'm sorely tempted to go for a Samsung S8 as I'm getting a little tired of Apples at this stage and I don't think its any co-incidence that as the release date for the iphone 8/8+/X drew nearer that my 6S battery has been getting considerably worse and dropping large chuinks of charge at random times. Last sunday it went from 72% to 20% in the space of 20 minutes of browsing. I reset it and it went up to 44% and so I reset it again and it dropped to 24%. My battery was replaced under warranty by apple last year so surely the battery isn't buggered already. I haven't been using the phone any more often than normal yet I'm getting approx. 30% less time from the battery and that only started in the last 3 to 4 weeks.

• Advertisement

fox007 wrote: »
    Can anyone shead some light on the pre order on the 8 I'm going to pre order but I want to collect in Belfast like last time I did it, do you pre order the day before or do I do it tomorrow and collect when available?

Does it not get delivered to your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

When is this available? Waiting on an update form three

what colour are ye going for? Im tied between silver and space grey.. gold looks a bit tacky imo

When is this available? Waiting on an update form three
    I will be ordering the 8+ tomorrow at 8:01.
    I had a white iPhone once. Just don’t like them. It would be nice if they done more colours with the black front.
    Black+ 64 GB for me. Moving up from iPhone 6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The prices with Vodafone on a contract are just getting a bit out of hand imo. The 8+ 64GB is €599 on a 40 p/m contract. That's €50 more than the 7+ 128GB was (which was a more expensive phone to buy from apple - 1029 versus 939 euro).

At that rate you're looking at 800 for the X on the cheapest p/m contract!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Trying to pre order for collection in Belfast can't get past the mobile number anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

3 are pricing the 8 plus 256 GB at €499 on a €60 a month contract or €649 on a €45 a month both over 24 months.

3 are pricing the 8 plus 256 GB at €499 on a €60 a month contract or €649 on a €45 a month both over 24 months.

Pretty ridiculous considering the price of the device with Apple. I have a good upgrade but considering buying outright now & dropping to sim only

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The 64g 8 for 299 on a €45 contract seems decent to me. I just checked my space usage on my current 64g 6 and I have 20g free. So 64 will do me lovely for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Pretty ridiculous considering the price of the device with Apple. I have a good upgrade but considering buying outright now & dropping to sim only

I was looking at that also. The cheapest 8 Plus 64GB with Vodafone is €600 + €40 per month for 24 months which totals €1,560. It costs €939 to buy outright on www.apple.ie so that is a saving of €621. That gives €25.88 per month over 24 months to spend on a SIM so if you factor in some calls and data any savings are probably marginal at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The 64g 8 for 299 on a €45 contract seems decent to me. I just checked my space usage on my current 64g 6 and I have 20g free. So 64 will do me lovely for that.

I could have written this post!

Got the pre-order email from Three and I'm looking at the same model and plan. I've had my 6 for nearly two years and I haven't even broken 30GB of storage use.

The X pre-orders start on October 27. While I'm pretty sure I'm going for the 8, I wish they would have announced the pricing for the X all the same so I could compare the two properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Trying to pre order for collection in Belfast can't get past the mobile number anyone any ideas?

Probably expecting a UK mobile number

Ordered mine about 8:03 from the Apple store app. No problem. Delivery the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Ordered the 64gb 8 plus at about 8.02 this morning, says it preparing for shipment already and due for delivery Sept 26th, that was fast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Vodafone and Eir are very expensive especially on the €45 plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Im on the sim only plan for 30pm with three. I went with the 64GB Iphone 8plus on three for 499 on the 45PM plan.
    Think its the best value for my needs

The 8 plus is excessively expensive on meteor, sorry Eir, bill pay. Cheaper to buy sim free from Apple and buy the equivalent sim free plan!

Virgin U.K. are doing 36 month plans now!

I'm with Eir, paying €25 a month for sim only, 10gb allowance. Same plan with a contract is €45 a month for 24 months.

Cost of 64gb iPhone 8 direct from Apple is €829

To get the €45pm plan with Eir, a 64gb iPhone 8 would be €449 up front.

€449 up front plus €1080 to Eir (24 times €45) gives a total of €1529.

€829 up front to Apple plus €600 (24 times €25) to Eir over the same period gives a total of €1429.

So, long story short, you save €100 over the 2 years if you buy direct from Apple and keep monthly sim only rolling-contract.

That's a pretty tight margin, really. I suspect most people (like me) would see €100 of "interest" as being a reasonable price to pay for spreading the cost of the phone out. Another way of looking at is that it's about €4 per month over the 2 years. The price of a fancy coffee.

Whether or not the €100 seems like good value considering it locks you to a network for 2 years is another question. The freedom to move might have more value for some.

Obviously, buying from Apple direct has the double benefit of being cheaper overall and not tying you to any one network for two years. But, being almost twice the cost up front is hard to take if you don't have that kind of wonga lying around.

snowflaker wrote: »
    Virgin U.K. are doing 36 month plans now!

What kind of price? Over that kind of term, it's probably a good price.

I think I'd baulk at the idea of being tied down for 3 years, but having said that, I have my iPhone 6 almost 3 years and it's going strong. I think the tech has gotten to a point where a phone probably can do most people for 3 years, if they're honest. It's not like the good old days of a few years ago where the jump in specs were so good that an annual upgrade was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

I have a good upgrade also, but was quoted no different to what was available on the website, there was no discount at all on what was listed for upgrade customers. I will probably wait and see in the new year.

rockwell wrote: »
    I have a good upgrade also, but was quoted no different to what was available on the website, there was no discount at all on what was listed for upgrade customers. I will probably wait and see in the new year.

I rang them today & was told the upgrade prices have not been determined yet. Will be back in touch next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I have been out of contract since last December and was going to go with the 8 when it was released until I discovered that its nothing more than a jazzed up 7. I thought it would be a new design phone.

Why didn't they go with the normal 7S name and leave '8' for an entirely new phone?

I'm sorely tempted to go for a Samsung S8 as I'm getting a little tired of Apples at this stage and I don't think its any co-incidence that as the release date for the iphone 8/8+/X drew nearer that my 6S battery has been getting considerably worse and dropping large chuinks of charge at random times. Last sunday it went from 72% to 20% in the space of 20 minutes of browsing. I reset it and it went up to 44% and so I reset it again and it dropped to 24%. My battery was replaced under warranty by apple last year so surely the battery isn't buggered already. I haven't been using the phone any more often than normal yet I'm getting approx. 30% less time from the battery and that only started in the last 3 to 4 weeks.

I have a 6S too newish phone to me, the battery in the last 2 weeks or so all of a sudden just turned to ****e, used to be brilliant

out of interest who bought the device from apple apple today as opposed to from the network you are with? Three coming in at €60 cheaper than apple but already bought the phone from apple i wonder should i change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

out of interest who bought the device from apple apple today as opposed to from the network you are with? Three coming in at €60 cheaper than apple but already bought the phone from apple i wonder should i change

three are not selling it unlocked though are they?
    The phone is locked until you spend something like €160 on topups etc.

Advertisement