Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 + 8 Plus - Discussion

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Does anyone have issues with reduced battery life on the iPhone 8?

Having had one for circa two months, there would be 30% battery life remaining after 15 hours use at the beginning but now it needs charging after about 12 hours.

Has anyone else noticed reduced battery life?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Another Iphone 8 plus question for users: Update to 11.2.5 this morning so we will see but prior to update, have been experiencing issues with flash not working when it should (on occasion I would just turn the flash ON to avoid the handset making the choice). I did notice that when I press to take a shot, the flash just flicks on/off very quickly, and then the snap is taken with no flash. Turning on the torch and back off and then heading back to the camera app usually rectifies this. Weird one.
    Carnmore wrote: »

Having had one for circa two months, there would be 30% battery life remaining after 15 hours use at the beginning but now it needs charging after about 12 hours.

Battery life, along with everything else apart from above has been excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

x2

The battery life, telephoto lens for zooming in and portrait mode are the benefits (after processor obv).

To be honest, I didn't even think it was worth the upgrade from my 6s so I returned it.

Processor speed you won't really notice in day-to-day usage. Obviously the battery is a huge improvement and you have the dual lens camera, but after that...just same old same old.

I'm waiting to see what the Galaxy S9 and the next iPhone is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Casualcontrol1

Carnmore wrote: »

Yes i have, in the past two weeks i have noticed i am not getting as long out of it. i used to get away charging once a day max or every second day mostly but now its every night sometimes before it

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Ridiculous, Two times in the past 10 days my 8 plus has decided to **** itself.Both times after installation. This time I cant even restore it as it gives me error 9 everytime I try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

14murphy wrote: »
    Ridiculous, Two times in the past 10 days my 8 plus has decided to **** itself.Both times after installation. This time I cant even restore it as it gives me error 9 everytime I try.

If your getting error 9, Try restoring it on a different computer, if it still happens I'd say it might be a hardware issue

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Just to give my tuppence worth - upgraded from the 7 to an 8 plus and the only difference I noticed was the size and a bit better of a camera - been loyal to Apple since the start but just don't see any new innovations with IPhones that I would need.

Going to wait to see what the next model is like this year if theirs nothing outstanding might give Samsung a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

To be honest, I didn't even think it was worth the upgrade from my 6s so I returned it.

Processor speed you won't really notice in day-to-day usage. Obviously the battery is a huge improvement and you have the dual lens camera, but after that...just same old same old.

I'm waiting to see what the Galaxy S9 and the next iPhone is like.

Told ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Told ya...

My Nexus 5x bit the dust and I've been given a refund. Seriously tempted by the iPhone 8 but based on this thread seems like I'd be wasting my money going for it over the 7 or what would ye advise? Battery life is important to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

levi wrote: »
    My Nexus 5x bit the dust and I've been given a refund. Seriously tempted by the iPhone 8 but based on this thread seems like I'd be wasting my money going for it over the 7 or what would ye advise? Battery life is important to me...

I've had the 8 for about 2 weeks now and am getting pretty much the same battery life that I got out of my 2 year old SE which would last the full day (but probably not much more).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I've had the 8 for about 2 weeks now and am getting pretty much the same battery life that I got out of my 2 year old SE which would last the full day (but probably not much more).

Are you a heavy user? I found the nexus 5x got me to about 8pm from being charged in the morning... Would use the phone for browsing and FB and maybe a call or two... No games. I'd prefer if the phone lasted til plugging it in before bed... Would that be wishful thinking with the iPhone 8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

levi wrote: »
    Are you a heavy user? I found the nexus 5x got me to about 8pm from being charged in the morning... Would use the phone for browsing and FB and maybe a call or two... No games. I'd prefer if the phone lasted til plugging it in before bed... Would that be wishful thinking with the iPhone 8?

Average user I'd say. I do listen to podcasts at my desk, say 4-5 hours worth a day and probably an hour or so of music during the day. I don't watch much videos and don't game or facebook but I would surf the net quite a bit too. And the odd few minutes long call, text message etc., nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Does anyone have an issue with pocket calling from 8+ ? Or maybe lm missing a redial button that I can disable ? I used the torch this morning , swiped to turn it off , placed my phone on the table .. next thing I hear that I’m ringing someone . A few have said to me “ got a pocket call from you “ they are all in my favourites but the pocket call doesn’t seem to necessarily go to the last number redailed. Any ideas ?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Maybe accidentally activating Siri in your pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Just downloaded 11.3 Just curious what state peoples battery's are in.
    I have an 8+ got ordered from Apple on launch day. This could be helpful when reselling or not (o:

Got to setting-battery-battery health beta. This basically tells you the health of your battery.

Mine is at 98%

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just downloaded 11.3 Just curious what state peoples battery's are in.
    I have an 8+ got ordered from Apple on launch day. This could be helpful when reselling or not (o:

Got to setting-battery-battery health beta. This basically tells you the health of your battery.

Mine is at 98%

Also on 8 plus, got around November and battery health shows at 100%.

What are Apple going to do when all these batteries start to decline? Try to force you to pay a ridiculous price for their battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

murpho999 wrote: »

What are Apple going to do when all these batteries start to decline? Try to force you to pay a ridiculous price for their battery?

In all fairness. That’s nothing new with apple. The reason they are now showing the battery status is that they mislead us, there customers and throttled phones when the battery degraded, Or to buy new ones.

They got caught, apologised and are being transparent now. For that reason you can get battery’s for €29 for this year.

I've seen some issues with sound/microphone when on a call when using iPhone 8. (i.e. you sounding muffled when on the phone)
    My questions are:

Have you experienced this? Is there a fix or do you return the phone for another one?

I know there might be issues when you have a cover on it- what covers are you using that don't interfere with sound quality when on the phone?

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'd say that's down to how you hold the phone, for calls the microphone used is in the bottom left grille, depending on how you hold the phone, you can easily cover it with your finger.

Yes that could be the case alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Guys.... am looking for a good Numeric Keyboard for my iPhone.

Have moved to a new Banking system and I need to type in numeric codes into an app to proceed. Am finding my thick fingers are a hinderence on the current number line on the Apple standard keyboard

Anyone got a recommendation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Doesn't seem like it's worth starting a new thread - I'm going to get either an iPhone 7 or 8, my first iPhone. Is there any solid reasons that the 8 is worth more than the 7?

Something like wireless charging isn't really a big deal to me.

pajor wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like it's worth starting a new thread - I'm going to get either an iPhone 7 or 8, my first iPhone. Is there any solid reasons that the 8 is worth more than the 7?

Something like wireless charging isn't really a big deal to me.

well, you don't get wireless charging unless you pay extra for wireless charging - the 8 does have faster charging though.

As I've used both 7 and 8, link below is accurate enough. With my new mobile package I could have got a 7 for I think 50 euro or so. I purchased an 8 for 100 euro or so. As I'll have it for 2 years I figured the 8 would be better to have in 2 years time. But the 7 is quite adequate so if money is tight, then certainly you won't go wrong with the 7. Processing speeds are the key difference - 8 is overall faster. Also, the glass back, which might actually be a reason you go for the aluminium backed 7.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/09/18/apple-iphone-8-vs-iphone-7-whats-the-difference/#7e3fb6ce1a65

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭peter4918

With my new mobile package I could have got a 7 for I think 50 euro or so. I purchased an 8 for 100 euro or so

Can I ask what provider offered these deals. Sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

well, you don't get wireless charging unless you pay extra for wireless charging - the 8 does have faster charging though.

As I've used both 7 and 8, link below is accurate enough. With my new mobile package I could have got a 7 for I think 50 euro or so. I purchased an 8 for 100 euro or so. As I'll have it for 2 years I figured the 8 would be better to have in 2 years time. But the 7 is quite adequate so if money is tight, then certainly you won't go wrong with the 7. Processing speeds are the key difference - 8 is overall faster. Also, the glass back, which might actually be a reason you go for the aluminium backed 7.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/09/18/apple-iphone-8-vs-iphone-7-whats-the-difference/#7e3fb6ce1a65

Thanks for that. Money isn't exactly tight, but I can't really justify spending the extra on the 8. The 7 still seems like a respectable phone for what I want at least.

pajor wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Money isn't exactly tight, but I can't really justify spending the extra on the 8. The 7 still seems like a respectable phone for what I want at least.

Yeah, I don't see any significant reason for going 8. It's faster than the 7 but that's all relative. 7 still does a good job of things- it's not like when the 6 came out first- that was a lot different to the 5 in terms of size etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Go for the 8 if you can..more powerful chip and better battery life by a fair bit.
    Even on my 7plus its eating through the battery thanks to safari etc.
    i never game on it but I have to charge it at least 8 hours into my day with about 7 or so to go.

What do you mean by pay extra? Buy a wireless charger yes but otherwise it's just part of the phone.

Advertisement