Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 + 8 Plus - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Blazer wrote: »
    three are not selling it unlocked though are they?
    The phone is locked until you spend something like €160 on topups etc.

Locked until the end of the contract if you go bill pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I'm with Eir, paying €25 a month for sim only, 10gb allowance. Same plan with a contract is €45 a month for 24 months.

Cost of 64gb iPhone 8 direct from Apple is €829

To get the €45pm plan with Eir, a 64gb iPhone 8 would be €449 up front.

€449 up front plus €1080 to Eir (24 times €45) gives a total of €1529.

€829 up front to Apple plus €600 (24 times €25) to Eir over the same period gives a total of €1429.

So, long story short, you save €100 over the 2 years if you buy direct from Apple and keep monthly sim only rolling-contract.

That's a pretty tight margin, really. I suspect most people (like me) would see €100 of "interest" as being a reasonable price to pay for spreading the cost of the phone out. Another way of looking at is that it's about €4 per month over the 2 years. The price of a fancy coffee.

Where did you see the €449 price for the iPhone 8? It is €299 as part of the home phone/broadband bundle. I was in an eir shop at lunchtime and the guy (after I had to tell him his job that the phone was actually out next week :rolleyes:) said that it would €350 plus €45 per month which is €1430. That would make it a no-brainer as it is the same price as buying it outright upfront...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Where did you see the €449 price for the iPhone 8? It is €299 as part of the home phone/broadband bundle. I was in an eir shop at lunchtime and the guy (after I had to tell him his job that the phone was actually out next week :rolleyes:) said that it would €350 plus €45 per month which is €1430. That would make it a no-brainer as it is the same price as buying it outright upfront...

I got it off the Eir website. I don’t have a landline, and where I live there is no fixed line broadband available. So to get the 8 outside of a bundle, it is €449 for the 64gb version on the €45pm plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

Really undecided on what way to play this, either contract or just buy it outright.

If I buy from Apple uk I save about 40 euro, will the warranty still be the same does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Sono wrote: »
    Really undecided on what way to play this, either contract or just buy it outright.

If I buy from Apple uk I save about 40 euro, will the warranty still be the same does anyone know?
    It'll be the same at least until March 2019. After that it'll depend on what deals were reached during the Brexit negotiations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

My status says delivery on the 26th Sept but is still on "Preparing for dispatch", any ideas when they start shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Anyone suggestions for a slim but protective case for the 8 plus? Have an otter box for 6. Never liked it.

I ordered this cheap one just to keep me going until I find a better one down the road maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Are iPhone 7/Plus cases & screen protectors compatible with the 8/Plus?

I got it off the Eir website. I don’t have a landline, and where I live there is no fixed line broadband available. So to get the 8 outside of a bundle, it is €449 for the 64gb version on the €45pm plan.

Do you know anyone with an eir landline or BB package?

I don't have either but my parents have so years ago I got my account associated with their account and I get the existing customer deals always. My bill is totally separate and not actually linked to theirs aside from being noted on my account that landline xxx-xxxxx is "mine".

If I were to buy the iPhone 8 64gb from eir it would be 299 upfront and 40 a month for unlimited calls and texts and 15gb of data. I'm on a sim only plan now of 25 a month for unlimited calls, texts and 15Gb of data. Buying the phone on the above contract would be 170 euro cheaper over 24 months than going sim only and staying on my current sim only plan.

I have no idea how vodafone still have customers with their crazily expensive plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Simply Red wrote: »
    My status says delivery on the 26th Sept but is still on "Preparing for dispatch", any ideas when they start shipping?

I've stolen it already!

Sono wrote: »

I much prefer to buy it outright. That money is then gone and you have €30 a month in your pocket. Plus you can change your plan every 30 days if you want.

Just got notification that mine has been shipped using DHL, delivered next Tuesday

Simply Red wrote: »
    Just got notification that mine has been shipped using DHL, delivered next Tuesday

Yeh me to but with UPS
    I can’t track it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Casualcontrol1

mines still processing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm really hoping that there'll be stock of the 64g 8+ in town with Three tomorrow... is that a pipe dream d'you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I'm really hoping that there'll be stock of the 64g 8+ in town with Three tomorrow... is that a pipe dream d'you reckon?

Between three or Carphone warehouse you might be able to get one. Try and get in early though.

I pre ordered with 3 and got my dispatch notification. It should be with me tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ring stores now, they should have their stock already - Was told there was 256 grey 8Plus available in stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Whats the story with the Apple X ? Why isn't anybody getting that version ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Drumpot wrote: »

It’s not out until November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Drumpot wrote: »

Not released yet until October 27th. Am waiting for the pricing on it myself with Three. I'm figuring €425 on the €45 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The X will easily be €500 upfront on the €60 plan

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

crazyderk wrote: »
    Between three or Carphone warehouse you might be able to get one. Try and get in early though.

I pre ordered with 3 and got my dispatch notification. It should be with me tomorrow

What day did you order yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

van_beano wrote: »
    Not released yet until October 27th. Am waiting for the pricing on it myself with Three. I'm figuring €425 on the €45 plan.

The iphone 8 64gb Plus is €499 with the €45 plan so good luck getting an X for €425

Link

Going to be at least €600 for the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Kevski wrote: »
    What day did you order yours?

last friday when it went available on preorder

Mine could be delivered tomorrow (o:

“Scheduled Delivery Date:
    09/22/2017 by End of Day”

This is the quietest iPhone launch I have seen on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone know what kind of stock does a place like Compu B would get?

Wouldn't mind having a play with one before deciding.

Mine could be delivered tomorrow (o:

“Scheduled Delivery Date:
    09/22/2017 by End of Day”

This is the quietest iPhone launch I have seen on boards.

Same as yourself, saying it will be delivered before end of day on the 22nd. First time also that anything Ive ordered from Apple has been shipped from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Collecting my 8 later today, Drogheda Vodafone store had 2 of them and I manage to secure one for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The X will easily be €500 upfront on the €60 plan

I’ll see your €500 and raise you another €279!!

Advertisement