Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 + 8 Plus - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lasai

Does anyone know if places like Harvey Norman or Curry's would normally have them in stock today? Or is it only for the Apple stores and official resellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Three grafton st have a good few in stock - no 64g grey 8 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Missed my delivery. No phone call or anything. Had same issue before. UPS don't seem to be that flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Quietest new iPhone launch thread ever.

I think the X might cannabalise Apple's phone sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

murpho999 wrote: »

I’ve been quite struck about this. Since the launch last week these threads have been relatively quiet. And not just on here. Other tech forums I frequent are similar.
    I remember previous launches where threads like this were huge. Full of fan boys planning to queue up in Belfast etc. The X is still a few weeks away but even still I’d expect the thread on it to be much busier than it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

That coupled with the fact it’s essentially a 7s and it’s price bumped up to €830 for no good reason.

I’ll be hanging on to my 6s for another year it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I’m sure Apple will be crying into their billions lol.

However I think the 8 is for people who wouldn’t frequent the internet or be waiting until 8am to preorder etc. (obviously there’s a few but definitely not the majority). The majority of iPhone 8 will go to those people who are contacted by their carrier offering them an upgrade deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Will be sticking to my 5S.

Had it years now and it still works flawlessly.

Best phone I've ever had.

Other than the Nokia I had in the 90's which for its time was amazing and it had snake!

By the looks of things the iPhone 8 launch has been a bit of a failure. Mostly no queues. For the record I bought the 8 Plus. Moved from a 6.

This could effect Apples bottom line. With most people probably waiting for the X. It seems to have cannibalised 8 sales more that Apple expected. By the looks of thing the X is going to be in very short supply. Sad reality is that it is Apples fault. The 8's design has changed modestly since the 6. With the X being so pricey have customers got a bit fed up with Apple?

By the looks of things the iPhone 8 launch has been a bit of a failure. Mostly no queues. For the record I bought the 8 Plus. Moved from a 6.

This could effect Apples bottom line. With most people probably waiting for the X. It seems to have cannibalised 8 sales more that Apple expected. By the looks of thing the X is going to be in very short supply. Sad reality is that it is Apples fault. The 8's design has changed modestly since the 6. With the X being so pricey have customers got a bit fed up with Apple?

I hope sales are down and it goes to teach Apple a lesson and they stop testing the market’s limit by increasing the iPhone’s price annually just for the sake of it.

The galaxy s8 is €800 prepay, the iPhone 8 is €830, and the X is €1170. It’s a total joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I hope sales are down and it goes to teach Apple a lesson and they stop testing the market’s limit by increasing the iPhone’s price annually just for the sake of it.

The galaxy s8 is €800 prepay, the iPhone 8 is €830, and the X is €1170. It’s a total joke

Do people actually buy these prepaid?! ****ing lunacy imo.

I know it's each to their own and all that but that's a decent holiday.

I always buy them outright because I don’t like being locked into a contact and it saves me far more than being on bill pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

I always buy them outright because I don’t like being locked into a contact and it saves me far more than being on bill pay.

Prepaid here as well. I would be an atypical user in that I only spend about €40-60 on credit a year, so it works fine.

I'm going to stick with my 6 for another year and see what next year brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

How exactly is it lunacy? In most cases, buying the phone outright and using a sim only plan is in and around the same price as signing a two contract and getting a subsidised phone which you are paying for with the more expensive contract

BDJW wrote: »
    How exactly is it lunacy? In most cases, buying the phone outright and using a sim only plan is in and around the same price as signing a two contract and getting a subsidised phone which you are paying for with the more expensive contract
    +1. And at least the phone isn't locked when bought outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Karsini wrote: »
    +1. And at least the phone isn't locked when bought outright.

I did the calculations. It was better value for me to switch to Tesco mobile, €25 per month and buy an iPhone outright. Would it be better value to buy the phone in Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I’ve switched from a 6 to a 8+ and I love it. I’m possibly going to have to bring this unit back as there’s a problem with the screen when scrolling- brings up some weird blue squares at times but the phone itself and the speed is such a massive bump from the 6. I was worried about the size but tbh I’m used to it already. The camera is incredible.

I’m really pleased but I can see where folks are holding out for the x. I just preferred the look of this one and prefer not to get 1st gen models until things have settled, and I needed a phone fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

I’ve switched from a 6 to a 8+ and I love it. I’m possibly going to have to bring this unit back as there’s a problem with the screen when scrolling- brings up some weird blue squares at times but the phone itself and the speed is such a massive bump from the 6. I was worried about the size but tbh I’m used to it already. The camera is incredible.

I’m really pleased but I can see where folks are holding out for the x. I just preferred the look of this one and prefer not to get 1st gen models until things have settled, and I needed a phone fast.

I am going from a 6 myself but ordered the 8, am toying with the idea of changing for the 8plus but was worried about the size of it!

After reading your post it has me even more undecided!

Unbox Therapy's take on this is epic. I would argue it's his best video ever.
    Shows how conflicted people are about the latest iPhones.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Do the math, it's cheaper overall to buy it outright + be on a Sim only or PAYG plan.

The lunacy is buying an iPhone on a 2 year contract with a high monthly fee imo.

Plus, if you buy direct, you get very good resell value meaning its easy to upgrade every year if you wish. And the added bonus of being able to switch network whenever you want.

In previous years, it worked almost the same price to go to a 2 year contract and spread the costs of the phone but this year and last the networks are really charging more and putting extra fees on.

I'm on SIM only €20 a month with Eir (Formerly Meteor).

I remember paying €299 upfront for an Iphone 6 and €50 per month. So basically €30 extra for the phone so 2 years meant the phone cost €1019.

Now the 256gb Iphone 8 is €449 upfront and €55 per month. So (€35*24)+€449=€1289.

That's €270 extra which is just ridiculous.

Also, the prices between the networks are cartel like similar. No real competition between them.

• Advertisement

In previous years, it worked almost the same price to go to a 2 year contract and spread the costs of the phone but this year and last the networks are really charging more and putting extra fees on.

I'm on SIM only €20 a month with Eir (Formerly Meteor).

I remember paying €299 upfront for an Iphone 6 and €50 per month. So basically €30 extra for the phone so 2 years meant the phone cost €1019.

Now the 256gb Iphone 8 is €449 upfront and €55 per month. So (€35*24)+€449=€1289.

That's €270 extra which is just ridiculous.

Also, the prices between the networks are cartel like similar. No real competition between them.
    Do you know anyone with an eir landline or BB package?

I don't have either but my parents have so years ago I got my account associated with their account and I get the existing customer deals always. My bill is totally separate and not actually linked to theirs aside from being noted on my account that landline xxx-xxxxx is "mine".

If I were to buy the iPhone 8 64gb from eir it would be 299 upfront and 40 a month for unlimited calls and texts and 15gb of data. I'm on a sim only plan now of 25 a month for unlimited calls, texts and 15Gb of data. Buying the phone on the above contract would be 170 euro cheaper over 24 months than going sim only and staying on my current sim only plan.

I have no idea how vodafone still have customers with their crazily expensive plans.

I have no idea how vodafone still have customers with their crazily expensive plans.
    In my experience, they're the only network that actually works. So I'm happy to pay more for it. Had desperate trouble with push data on Meteor a few years back and all they could do was to blame both of my phones even though other SIMs worked fine in them.

In my experience, they're the only network that actually works. So I'm happy to pay more for it. Had desperate trouble with push data on Meteor a few years back and all they could do was to blame both of my phones even though other SIMs worked fine in them.
    Vodafone seems to be the network of choice for majority of businesses alright. Probably down to reliability nationwide.

Meteor have come on in leaps and bounds since then. You should give them another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

A lot of people seem to be forgetting when comparing buying outright + sim free plan vs buying on contract with a carrier is that majority of people won’t be able to afford buying outright due to cash flow.

Many a time we’ve had people in this forum trying to buy outright whilst taking out small loans to cover it where as a carrier option would be better. It really depends on your circumstances. Everyone should do the math though it’s a worthy exercise (just like doing the math for importing one from the states)

What’s really **** though is the carriers offer these phones on a PAYG plan and usually are only €50 cheaper than the sim free version from Apple. If you buy that then you’re crazy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I had to move from vodafone as there is no coverage in my house so needed wifi calling which Eir has. Friday morning headed up to Blanchardstown about 9:30 to see if I could get an 8. Eir store was empty and they had stock no problem. Walking back to the car both Vodafone and three stores were empty as well.

Was expecting to at least see some interest in the 8.

Having been with them years ago and moved to eMobile/eir I find eir far better for coverage etc and much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Most people buying them prepaid generally have more than enough in their bank account to take a holiday if they want to. Wealth does not scale linearly, especially in Ireland.

Most people buying them prepaid generally have more than enough in their bank account to take a holiday if they want to. Wealth does not scale linearly, especially in Ireland.

Having the money to buy it outright doesn't mean buying it outright is the best way to fund it.

I could easily buy an X outright but I wouldn't even consider it. I'd far rather pay it back over 24 months out of my wages than use savings.

Similar to how very wealthy people still take out car loans, its not a good use of a lump sum to tie it up in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Ordered an 8 plus direct from apple this afternoon around 2ish. Received a text an hour ago it will be delivered tomorrow. How quick is that turn around !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

14murphy wrote: »
    Ordered an 8 plus direct from apple this afternoon around 2ish. Received a text an hour ago it will be delivered tomorrow. How quick is that turn around !
    Isn't that standard enough next day delivery?
    Might be reflective of the stock they have.

Still undecided on the 8 or X. Contract up in Dec, so will have a chance to check out the X before buying. If I don't think it's worth it, and the 8 is underwhelming, I can see myself sticking with my 6s for another year at least,

Advertisement