Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 + 8 Plus - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

Got the 8 Plus last Sunday. Really enjoying it, a nice upgrade from my SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bit the bullet and decided to ignore the X and its notch and crazy price and ordered the 8 Plus from Eir today.

Got the 64gb plus (plenty for me as I've only used 34gb on present phone). They wanted €399 upfront and €55 per month .Rang up loyalty team and quoted Vodafone prices so got €50 off and €5 off monthly deal for 6 months. Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I ordered the 8, I was using the 6. I am on a bundle of broadband and unlimited calls, texts and 15gb data for 40 a month. The bundle is e93.
    The phone cost €299 upfront. I'm happy with that deal.
    I was with Vodafone for 5years, until 2015, back then their phone service was the only reliable one, - but then, their broadband was terrible, when I moved into a house 2 doors up from my other one, then they tried to rape me with prices on the phone, then tried to keep me in contract for a broadband service that they couldn't fix, then after I switched, 6 months later sent a bill saying I would still have to pay them-over my dead body would I go back to them. I got sent warning letters etc-The company were doing such a bad job, I sold all my stock in Verizon, guess what, their stock hasn't moved, it's actually down about 10% from then. If a company starts giving bad customer service, they are on a downward trend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I was on Meteor a few years back - the coverage drove me spare so I moved to Vodafone as I've never had coverage issues.

What are meteor / eir like these days for 4G coverage and customer service? I'm based mainly in central Cork City.

I was on Meteor a few years back - the coverage drove me spare so I moved to Vodafone as I've never had coverage issues.

What are meteor / eir like these days for 4G coverage and customer service? I'm based mainly in central Cork City.

When I rang to renew my contract, I told them straight up, no one can match them for customerservice and their coverage on 4g is the same as Vodafone, but their broadband is way more reliable.
    For me- I have a short temper and dealing with incompetence from Vodafone would send me to the grave. I am in cork a lot and never even think about the service, it just works.
    Their plans are better and cheaper as well.

• Advertisement

Yep I noticed the cheaper plans. Also Energia have a good loyalty program with eir so you can get up to 35euro off per month on their bundles for broadband, phone and mobile. TV with 50+ channels inc BT/eir sport is an extra tenner so could be worth looking at too.

I have been with Meteor for 6 years and never had coverage issues. They were quick to bring in 4g too.

Also, they have wifi calling which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Lads word of warning. Set up my 8 plus last night and everything was hunky dory. Connected it to my macbook to charge and it offered a new ios update (11.1). I agreed to update and it began to download.
    It then gave me an error and asked me to restore the iphone completely. No big deal I thought everything is on the cloud. It then froze and told me my iphone was not responding. It was then stuck on the apple logo with a loading bar on it all night. Apple chat where no help and suggested I bring it to iConnect or Compub. Luckily I brought it with me to work and it eventually drained the battery and I could restore again and everything loaded as it should have the first time.
    Anyone else experience similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Lads word of warning. Set up my 8 plus last night and everything was hunky dory. Connected it to my macbook to charge and it offered a new ios update (11.1). I agreed to update and it began to download.
    It then gave me an error and asked me to restore the iphone completely. No big deal I thought everything is on the cloud. It then froze and told me my iphone was not responding. It was then stuck on the apple logo with a loading bar on it all night. Apple chat where no help and suggested I bring it to iConnect or Compub. Luckily I brought it with me to work and it eventually drained the battery and I could restore again and everything loaded as it should have the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm with meteor and now eir for the past few months and have no issue with coverage. Can get 4g in my house in the sticks no problem and no issues around Cork City either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

14murphy wrote: »

I woke up this morning and my home screen is totally frozen, has been all day. I can use the side button to turn the screen on and off but holding it down won't let me turn off the handset. I can swipe to get to control centre etc but no apps will load and the main screen won't recognise touches. Before this I was getting weird flashing lines on the screen in box shapes so was planning to bring back the phone tomorrow anyway. Bit of a bummer tbh I hope there's a replacement in stock when I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I woke up this morning and my home screen is totally frozen, has been all day. I can use the side button to turn the screen on and off but holding it down won't let me turn off the handset. I can swipe to get to control centre etc but no apps will load and the main screen won't recognise touches. Before this I was getting weird flashing lines on the screen in box shapes so was planning to bring back the phone tomorrow anyway. Bit of a bummer tbh I hope there's a replacement in stock when I get there.

They most likely won’t replace it and will want to send the phone back to Apple. If that’s the car I’d contact appke directly yourself and deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

F34 wrote: »
    They most likely won’t replace it and will want to send the phone back to Apple. If that’s the car I’d contact appke directly yourself and deal with them.

Ive been told by store staff and by customer care they'll do a straight replacement. I'll go mental otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Ive been told by store staff and by customer care they'll do a straight replacement. I'll go mental otherwise.

Good stuff I know they just seem to have different policies around apple products sometimes. Hope you get sorted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

Any one have any ideas where i would get an phone 8 256 GB sim free space grey in Dublin city today. Tried compu b , i connect and arnotts. No joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I've the 6s and got some hands on time with the 8 today and was quite disappointed. The minor upgrades really aren't worth it for me, so won't be getting it.
    Will check out the X when available to see if it's features match the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Zeno of Cithium

By the looks of things the iPhone 8 launch has been a bit of a failure. Mostly no queues. For the record I bought the 8 Plus. Moved from a 6.

This could effect Apples bottom line. With most people probably waiting for the X. It seems to have cannibalised 8 sales more that Apple expected. By the looks of thing the X is going to be in very short supply. Sad reality is that it is Apples fault. The 8's design has changed modestly since the 6. With the X being so pricey have customers got a bit fed up with Apple?

Id say so. Iwatched the keynote and was just not believing their bs this time. Its getting a bit ridiculous now, the price of phones.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Zeno of Cithium

Anyone suggestions for a slim but protective case for the 8 plus? Have an otter box for 6. Never liked it.

Try ipitaka dot com they are called magcases....... 45 quid though..... I think they look great personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Id say so. Iwatched the keynote and was just not believing their bs this time. Its getting a bit ridiculous now, the price of phones.........
    Yeah, agreed. My wife has the 6, I've the 6s, my brother had the 7. And the 8 just doesn't have the advancements to really standout. They all seem to be more or less the same phone.

Maybe that's more reflective of how good those phones are; but the price-to-value of the cost of the 8 is clearly not working (unless online sales show a different picture).
    The X will really show if people are willing to continue spending big. I think the X will sell in large numbers; but the slowdown may be on the way.

Anyone suggestions for a slim but protective case for the 8 plus? Have an otter box for 6. Never liked it.

Have a look on Ebay. Tons of good quality cases there.

Been doing so for years and never paid more than a tenner for a good quality protective case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Has anyone gotten a quick charging set up yet?

It seems to be only supported by Type C mains chargers and light to type c cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it seems the most appropriate place. Im in the market for a new phone, have a 6 at the moment. I wouldn't mind upgrading just to a 7, however, they are still very expensive. Typically will the price go down of these or not with the new phones out? I buy my phones outright and am on a sim only plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lasai

mel123 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but it seems the most appropriate place. Im in the market for a new phone, have a 6 at the moment. I wouldn't mind upgrading just to a 7, however, they are still very expensive. Typically will the price go down of these or not with the new phones out? I buy my phones outright and am on a sim only plan.

They went down in price already when iPhone 8 and X were presented, they will not go down until September 2018

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bit the bullet and decided to ignore the X and its notch and crazy price and ordered the 8 Plus from Eir today.

Got the 64gb plus (plenty for me as I've only used 34gb on present phone). They wanted €399 upfront and €55 per month .Rang up loyalty team and quoted Vodafone prices so got €50 off and €5 off monthly deal for 6 months. Happy enough with that.

Do ya have the number for the loyalty team?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lasai

Does anyone know when will Arnott's, Carphone or Curry's have the new 8 Plus ready to purchase on prepay? I've been checking and they didn't match Apple's prices when they dropped the price on 7 and Plus and they don't have the iPhone 8 in stock either

Do ya have the number for the loyalty team?

I just rang up 1905 and asked to speak to them. It may have been the upgrade team rather than loyalty.

Ring up quoting Vodafone as cheaper. THey are not but I said you get full data roaming and Spotify) and threaten to jump ship and they should do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

mel123 wrote: »

I'm in the same boat, need to upgrade from a 6 after 3 years - battery on its last legs, will be buying outright. Not particularly excited by any of the prospects, even debating moving to android. I really like iOS but iOS 11 in general seems to be a step down (haven't upgraded myself yet) - how are people finding it on the 8?

I think it might be a toss up between getting a 7 because there's less glass on it to break (plus a bit cheaper) or the 8 for future proofing (and the price difference isn't that much).

I'm in the same boat, need to upgrade from a 6 after 3 years - battery on its last legs, will be buying outright. Not particularly excited by any of the prospects, even debating moving to android. I really like iOS but iOS 11 in general seems to be a step down (haven't upgraded myself yet) - how are people finding it on the 8?

I think it might be a toss up between getting a 7 because there's less glass on it to break (plus a bit cheaper) or the 8 for future proofing (and the price difference isn't that much).

The battery on the 8 is way better than 7 or 6, the fingerprint is much smoother and more efficient that the 6 anyway, dunno about the 7, the speaker is way better on the 8.

I upgraded the 6 to iOS 11 and I liked it better than the older version, so definitely a step up, I got a clear case for my 8, so the back is visible, but will be protected, hopefully. I would prefer no glass on the back, but the other improvements make it worth the upgrade from 6 to 8, I don't think an upgrade from 6 to 7 makes much of a difference.

My opinions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

The battery on the 8 is way better than 7 or 6, the fingerprint is much smoother and more efficient that the 6 anyway, dunno about the 7, the speaker is way better on the 8.

I upgraded the 6 to iOS 11 and I liked it better than the older version, so definitely a step up, I got a clear case for my 8, so the back is visible, but will be protected, hopefully. I would prefer no glass on the back, but the other improvements make it worth the upgrade from 6 to 8, I don't think an upgrade from 6 to 7 makes much of a difference.

My opinions anyway.

Thanks for the feedback

I think I'm going to leave my 6 on iOS 10 for the moment, my battery is temperamental as is and it'll make my upgrade feel newer - I think I'll go with the 8, it probably is enough of a step up, plus the additional storage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

I too upgraded from a 6 plus to an 8 plus and am very happy with it so far, its a little heavier but I like that as it feels sturdier in the hand. The sound quality from the loudspeaker is a big improvement over the 7, tested it out with a friends phone.
    Touch ID works so fast that you forget that its even being used. I don't think the camera has gotten enough credit, it really is outstanding.
    Ive heard theres big improvements coming in ios 11.1 in terms of speed and performance based on what people have been saying about the public beta

Advertisement