Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 + 8 Plus - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

For anyone that's interested.
    Ordered the 8 for my mam on Sunday. Delivered today (Tuesday).

Just to keep you up to date on shipping/delivery times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yep same here, 3 days from order date to delivery.
    Estimated deliver given was 8-10 days later but they over-delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have a 6 and am pondering the upgrade. . I am happy enough with its size but curious how people feel about the plus versus the smaller version ?

Also, not sure about the x. Its not the money, its just I am afraid it could be buggy or not great, the kind of thing you should buy version 2 ?!

I had the 5, 5S, 6, 6S and 7.

First time using the Plus model with the 8. Have to say after a week, I'm used to it and don't think i'll go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I had the 5, 5S, 6, 6S and 7.

First time using the Plus model with the 8. Have to say after a week, I'm used to it and don't think i'll go back.

Surprised you didn’t wait on the X.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The battery on the 8 is way better than 7 or 6.
    Is this generally true? My 6s battery hasn't been great for a while. Could drop 40% over night which is kinda annoying. Haven't gone to iOS 11 yet in case it makes it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Drumpot wrote: »
    Also, not sure about the x. Its not the money, its just I am afraid it could be buggy or not great, the kind of thing you should buy version 2 ?!
    I'm kinda the same. Waiting to get it into the hand and try it before buying; I've typically always gone with the s model,

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Surprised you didn’t wait on the X.
    Yeah, I don't trust the facial recognition (yet). Also use my phone a lot at my desk, so wouldn't be a hand of having to lift it out of its dock every time. I'll wait for feedback on it and assess next year if it's worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I find the Touch ID much more sensitive on the 8 than on my 6, that I had to turn it off.
    I was unlocking the phone inadvertently without realising I’ve done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kbell wrote: »
    I find the Touch ID much more sensitive on the 8 than on my 6, that I had to turn it off.
    I was unlocking the phone inadvertently without realising I’ve done it.

It's Touch id V2 and is a lot faster.

That' why they have the 'Raise to Wake' feature to enable you to look at notifications without opening the phone as the screen activates when the phone is lifted. Very handy.
    Make sure it's enabled in Settings- Display & Brightness.

Disabling Touchid is disabling one of the phone's best features that I would really miss.

I've also upgraded from the 6 to the 8 and I think Raise to Wake is a great feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

murpho999 wrote: »

That' why they have the 'Raise to Wake' feature to enable you to look at notifications without opening the phone as the screen activates when the phone is lifted. Very handy.

Disabling Touchid is disabling one of the phone's best features that I would really miss.

I've also upgraded from the 6 to the 8 and I think Raise to Wake is a great feature.
    Same yeah never realised how good a combo raise to wake and touch ID are together, you can unlock your phone without ever pressing a button, just resting your finger on touch id as you raise the phone

I’ve kept the raise to wake function on as it is very handy and Touch ID on for various apps, just kept Touch ID off for actually unlocking the phone.

I’ve kept the raise to wake function on as it is very handy and Touch ID on for various apps, just kept Touch ID off for actually unlocking the phone.

Why? Use raise to wake and don't touch home button to look at notifications.

Then to open phone, use touch id.

I don't see what your actual problem is or advantage your solution offers. I would hate to go back to using the code to unlock all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

actually can't believe I'm reading this... Touch Id is one of the iPhone's flagship features.

why would you care about protecting certain apps with Touch Id but yet not protect the whole phone with it?

actually can't believe I'm reading this... Touch Id is one of the iPhone's flagship features.

why would you care about protecting certain apps with Touch Id but yet not protect the whole phone with it?

Because I’m inadvertently unlocking the phone when I don’t want to as the Touch ID is too sensitive.

Because I’m inadvertently unlocking the phone when I don’t want to as the Touch ID is too sensitive.

But why are you touching the home button? That's what you need to stop doing.

Use the Sleep/Wake button on the side or Raise to Wake as murph999 mentioned, both are easier than disabling Touch Id and having to input a 6-digit or alphanumeric passcode every time I want to unlock my phone. The average person unlocks their device over 100 times a day. We're probably a lot higher than that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Loving the 8plus. Moved from 6. Loving the camera and the raise to wake (o: Not bothered with the wireless charging.

One thing I am annoyed with is the text on the back. Thought it would be removed :mad: as some sites reported it had gone. Must be America.

Also my location arrow seems to be on all the time. It is coming from significant locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I looked at the 8 and 8 Plus today in an airport Dixons

Was thinking of getting an 8 Plus (as an upgrade from a 6) but have second thoughts now

Hate the new home button since the 7

I'll have to use a 6S or 6S Plus for ever more it seems....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Gekko wrote: »

Was thinking of getting an 8 Plus (as an upgrade from a 6) but have second thoughts now

You'll get used to the new home button in about 2 hours and it is honestly way better than the old one, plus it's waterproof.

One thing I am annoyed with is the text on the back. Thought it would be removed :mad: as some sites reported it had gone. Must be America.

Also my location arrow seems to be on all the time. It is coming from significant locations.

Just America have the clean back. EU one has the ugly logos on the back but hey we get better consumer rights so it’s not all push and no shove.

iOS 11 hanged how the location arrow is shown and what each arrow means. I’ll try find a link

Now, a hollow arrow in the status bar means an app is requesting location; a solid arrow indicates an app is currently receiving location data.

https://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-11-the-macstories-review/4/#p12 (Link won’t take your to exact quote but it’s near enough)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You'll get used to the new home button in about 2 hours and it is honestly way better than the old one, plus it's waterproof.

+1. Far better than the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Just America have the clean back. EU one has the ugly logos on the back but hey we get better consumer rights so it’s not all push and no shove.

iOS 11 hanged how the location arrow is shown and what each arrow means. I’ll try find a link

https://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-11-the-macstories-review/4/#p12 (Link won’t take your to exact quote but it’s near enough)

I know what it means. It explains it in settings. I have turned most my system services off. But the hollow arrow is nearly always on. “Significant locations” is using it.
    Is this the same for anyone else that the arrow is in nearly all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Something that has received little attention is that the iPhone 8/8+ and X now support the Galileo satellite system. This is Europe's version of the GPS system that will enable location detection within 1 meter of your location (and potentially up to 1cm for paid services!). The new iphones combine support for GPS/GLONASS (Russian)/Galileo and QZSS (Japan) satelilte systems so accuracy should be significantly better than previous models. Can anyone test this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Elessar wrote: »
    Something that has received little attention is that the iPhone 8/8+ and X now support the Galileo satellite system. This is Europe's version of the GPS system that will enable location detection within 1 meter of your location (and potentially up to 1cm for paid services!). The new iphones combine support for GPS/GLONASS (Russian)/Galileo and QZSS (Japan) satelilte systems so accuracy should be significantly better than previous models. Can anyone test this?

I actually did notice that when using google maps on 8 plus, it is quiet accurate.
    But for test I used my takeaway delivery app on 7 plus and 8 plus and they both lock in address 2 doors down so not much change it seems.

Gekko wrote: »

I have upgraded from the 6 to the 8 plus and I am very happy.

The button is a non-issue that you quickly adapt to.

You can also adjust the click feel in settings.

Even if you don't like it the benefits of size, faster processor, better camera far outweigh any perceived misgivings of the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Are there any disadvantages to buying from Computer B rather than direct from Apple with Parcel Motel? I live close to a Compu B and am a bit of an instant gratification kind of person

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Are there any disadvantages to buying from Computer B rather than direct from Apple with Parcel Motel? I live close to a Compu B and am a bit of an instant gratification kind of person

No disadvantages at all.
    Your warranty is still handled through Apple as it s the fastest route.

Just make sure you get a sim free version (if required) and fire away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I have upgraded from the 6 to the 8 plus and I am very happy.

The button is a non-issue that you quickly adapt to.

You can also adjust the click feel in settings.

Even if you don't like it the benefits of size, faster processor, better camera far outweigh any perceived misgivings of the button.

Oh thanks I didn't know you could adjust the click feel in the settings

I'd better figure out what case I'll have to get to protect it...

Advertisement