Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 + 8 Plus - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Gekko wrote: »
    Oh thanks I didn't know you could adjust the click feel in the settings

I'd better figure out what case I'll have to get to protect it...

I ordered the spigen ultra hybrid - nice neat case with a clear back- I was using an otter box on my 6 and it was very bulky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

My iPhone 8 is arriving early next week looking forward to getting it. I had a 6 for almost 3 years at this stage actually grew quite attached to it but it's wrecked at this stage even the metal back is worn and a fair few lumps gone out of it (had a cover when new but as it got older I removed it). I broke the screen last month on it and decided it was time to call it a day and get a new one. Have a new otterbox cover got for the 8 already.

As a temporary I routed out an old iPhone 4 and put ios10 on it my god some jump backwards you don't realise how far they have come until you go back tiny screen, no lightning charging, crap battery and so slow just freezes the whole time takes a minimum of 30 seconds to open any app. So I won't know myself with the 8 and 64gb memory will be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

I see some mention of preferred covers above ... but any further recommendations?? I had a Reigle(??) on my 6 but dont see them listed under an 8 enquiry.

Looking for a case to suit 'office' use rather than chunky otterbox options

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Masala wrote: »
    I see some mention of preferred covers above ... but any further recommendations?? I had a Reigle(??) on my 6 but dont see them listed under an 8 enquiry.

Looking for a case to suit 'office' use rather than chunky otterbox options

Many thanks

Keep saying it but just look on eBay.

People here often insist on branded cases but they are not necessary at all.

I have never spent more than €8-€10 on a case. On my 4th iphone now and never had an issue.

I bought one of these on eBay for €20, I have always used an otter box, but they are bulky, this case is sleek, clear back and it has good protection.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/13/spigen-ultra-hybrid-2-iphone-77-plus-shows-off-jet-black-premium-finishes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So how are people finding the 8 & 8plus after a few weeks of use?

Just checked my upgrade plan and I get the 8 plus for €698 with no increase in my bill on a 24 month contract so that sounds tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Just checked my upgrade plan and I get the 8 plus for €698 with no increase in my bill on a 24 month contract so that sounds tempting.

Delighted with the 8 very quick, I was lucky that I got a upgrade pushed 3 months early first time I got an iPhone on the week of the release date. Probably has more to do with people wait for the x.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Im very tempted to get an 8. I’m with Three and can get the 64GB 8 for €299 on 24month contract at €45 per month but as I have a friends/family 20% discount I only pay €36 a month.

The 32gb 7 is €349 on the same plan so they’re obviously heavily subsidising the 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I love it. Went for the 8th Plus from a 6.
    When I looked at the Plus previously it seemed huge. Now it is just normal. But it is massive to other people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I went from a 6 to an 8+ too and I absolutely love it. The screen is a really big upgrade and it's so much faster. But the camera is where is really shines for me, I take a lot of photos (I love iPhone photography) and it's in another league tbh.

I was worried about the size but I got used to it very quickly and I have a 5s for work- which feels absolutely TINY in my hands now. I wouldn't go back to a smaller screen I have to say.

• Advertisement

I love it. Went for the 8th Plus from a 6.
    When I looked at the Plus previously it seemed huge. Now it is just normal. But it is massive to other people :)

That's the issue I was playing with a display model and it felt huge way too big but I like the camera extra's that come with it.

I went from a 6 to an 8+ too and I absolutely love it. The screen is a really big upgrade and it's so much faster. But the camera is where is really shines for me, I take a lot of photos (I love iPhone photography) and it's in another league tbh.

I was worried about the size but I got used to it very quickly and I have a 5s for work- which feels absolutely TINY in my hands now. I wouldn't go back to a smaller screen I have to say.

Ye it's the camera on the plus that has me tempted but the size is putting me off as of now.

Ye it's the camera on the plus that has me tempted but the size is putting me off as of now.

What I actually did was buy a cheapo case in TK Maxx and got used to the size that way for a day or two. The case I got actually had like a fake cut-out of the phone in it so it actually gave me a good idea of what it might be like to use. I left it lying around on the table and picked it up every now and again. It's occasionally awkward to use one-handed but I rarely do that anymore since I got my 4s robbed a few years back- dude grabbed it out of my hand and I didn't have a good grip of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's the issue I was playing with a display model and it felt huge way too big but I like the camera extra's that come with it.

Also upgraded from 6 to 8 plus and am very happy.

You get used to the larger screen very very quickly. I could not go back to the older size now. I find my old 6 looks tiny now.

It also fits in a jeans front pocket which is also important.

Faster phone, great battery life and a brilliant camera make it a worthwhile phone.

Also, personally think it looks better than the X as that notch is a big turn off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

What colour have some bought this in? I'm a space grey merchant but the gold looks good

Got mine in space grey- previously had a gold iphone 6 and I have a silver 5s for work- I really prefer the all black front, makes it look much sleeker and tidier in my opinion. I always keep a cover on mine anyway so the facing was really my main concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ya I have a clear cover ordered so the back will be visible..Will probably go with the space grey

Reading in the Independent this morning that Apple have cut production on the 8 by 50% due to the lack of demand for it as the 7 is out selling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Reading in the Independent this morning that Apple have cut production on the 8 by 50% due to the lack of demand for it as the 7 is out selling it.
    Saw that earlier today as well.
    Not surprised by it. Most people willing to spend the money on an 8 was likely to wait for the X.

I am surprised to see the 7 out selling the 8; but maybe we are getting to a new sales era with smartphones, where people will not update the typical 2yr cycle.

The sales of the X will be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good case and screen protector for the 8?

I work at a desk so I think defender is probably overkill.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

I always buy the official Apple one expensive but worth it IMO, had it on the 6 and 6s moved to the plus on the 7 found them to be the best. Tech armour for the screen protector.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Saw that earlier today as well.
    Not surprised by it. Most people willing to spend the money on an 8 was likely to wait for the X.

I am surprised to see the 7 out selling the 8; but maybe we are getting to a new sales era with smartphones, where people will not update the typical 2yr cycle.

The sales of the X will be very interesting.

Well the markets aren’t buying Apple’s spin. Sales are down and so is the share price.

Given the rumoured X supply restraints look out for iPhone X sold out etc everywhere giving a false perception of demand higher then it actually is.

I’m more interested in see how the markets will react to their Q4 iPhone sales figures.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

Sprigen ultra hybrid- it’s sleek, but I’ve dropped the phone a few times on tiles and it’s grand- I bought an expensive screen protector for my 6 and compared it to one for €2 on eBay- same measurements etc- they both break when they take an impact, but they save the screen, I order 5 at a time and have yet to break a screen on over 5 years of iPhone, but broke 6 glass protector- they do what they are supposed to

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Ordered the 8 plus gold 64gb direct from apple last night (first time to buy direct). Im only moving up from the 7. I regretted not getting the 7plus last year and was going to wait for the X but was put off by that band at the top and a few other niggles. Probably not much in terms of improvement with 8 plus over the 7?

I took the plunge myself. Went for the 8 Plus 64GB in silver. My year’s trial of Android is over. :pac:

Compub and Argos had no stock so I actually got it from Vodafone on PAYG. I saved €59 off the Apple retail price and I’ve already applied for the unlock so it’s no big deal. I’m happy enough on Vodafone so I don’t need it unlocked but I might as well if I paid this much.

Karsini wrote: »
    I took the plunge myself. Went for the 8 Plus 64GB in silver. My year’s trial of Android is over. :pac:

Compub and Argos had no stock so I actually got it from Vodafone on PAYG. I saved €59 off the Apple retail price and I’ve already applied for the unlock so it’s no big deal. I’m happy enough on Vodafone so I don’t need it unlocked but I might as well if I paid this much.

Nice little saving! I didnt even try Vodafone coz Im on billpay with them and not due upgrade til next year. Yes everywhere seems to be either very low on stock or out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lasai

Does anyone know when will iPhone 8 and 8 Plus available in Arnotts? They have not updated their stock on their website and they've not decreased the price on 7 and 7 plus either

Quick question...... new 8 plus arrived and just set it up using the new quick start feature. Now it looks like all aps have transferred over but so far no photos/videos? In the photos app on new phone it just says updating? Should I be worried?

Eta - got it sorted :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lasai wrote: »
    Does anyone know when will iPhone 8 and 8 Plus available in Arnotts? They have not updated their stock on their website and they've not decreased the price on 7 and 7 plus either

Why wait for arnotts?
    Why not buy from Apple direct and have it within 2 days?

• Advertisement

Lasai wrote: »

Definitely recommend purchasing directly from Apple

Advertisement