Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 8 + 8 Plus - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Loughc wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading from a iPhone6 to an 8 Plus.

It'll be my first time getting a plus, I imagine there's no obvious issues with them?

I went from the 6 to an 8plus and I couldn’t be happier.

I got the 8 Plus myself i thought it would be too big but it’s not a problem for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Thinking of upgrading from a iPhone6 to an 8 Plus.

It'll be my first time getting a plus, I imagine there's no obvious issues with them?

I went from a 7 to an 8plus and love it. Dont think I could go back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Got my 8 Plus today

Upgrading from a 6.

My initial thought was that it's heavy

Used it a bit while setting up and got used to it fairly quickly

Waiting for a Silk Armor "Guardzilla" case to arrive now that I had to order from the US before I start using it

Hope it doesn't take long...got $6 off it yesterday as well so cost me $24 inc delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

How long does it take to get used to the 8 plus?

I got so used to one-handed use with my iPhone 5 but my thumb aches doing this with the 8 plus!

Also, does iCloud back up work with wireless charging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Carnmore wrote: »
    How long does it take to get used to the 8 plus?

I got so used to one-handed use with my iPhone 5 but my thumb aches doing this with the 8 plus!

Also, does iCloud back up work with wireless charging?
    It becomes normal very quickly. You will have to change how you do things. But I forget how I used to hike the iPhone 6 now 😜 Size does not look weird either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Yes I found I got used to it very quickly

I've been unlucky with cases in the meantime

Got a cheap one from the UK that wasn't what I thought it was. My Silk one doesn't look like it'll have enough of a lip to protect the screen either for my peace of mind

So now I've ordered an Otterbox Defender 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

Cheapest place to get an 64gb plus model?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

kingbob387 wrote: »

From a friend that works in Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I’ll send you one from Australia..cheap as here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

rightyabe wrote: »
    I’ll send you one from Australia..cheap as here

Oh really? I'm going to Aus soon I might get one there instead, approx. how much cheaper is it over there compared to Ireland?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Oh really? I'm going to Aus soon I might get one there instead, approx. how much cheaper is it over there compared to Ireland?

Check Apple Australia website.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

whiterebel wrote: »
    Check Apple Australia website.

Or check gumtree website. Few in my area in Perth for $1000 so about €640.

In the long run it's best to buy from Apple - for warranty claims your contract is with the retailer. I had an iPhone replaced four times in a four year period by Apple under EU consumer law. They always asked me where I purchased the phone - if it had've been purchased from a third party reseller, my claims would not have been successful.

Buy from Apple UK using the Revolut fx app for the currency and Parcelwizard for delivery - giving a net saving of circa €30 rather then buying from Apple IE.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

In the long run it's best to buy from Apple - for warranty claims your contract is with the retailer. I had an iPhone replaced four times in a four year period by Apple under EU consumer law. They always asked me where I purchased the phone - if it had've been purchased from a third party reseller, my claims would not have been successful.

Buy from Apple UK using the Revolut fx app for the currency and Parcelwizard for delivery - giving a net saving of circa €30 rather then buying from Apple IE.

Its Irish Law, not EU. If you had claimed against a reseller you should have had the same outcome. It would probably have been more time consuming having to go through the Sale of Goods Act with the retailer. Apple wouldn't entertain you if you had brought it from a retailer either, of course.

Its Irish Law, not EU.

It has a basis in EU law which has been incorporated in to Irish law - the same statute applies in the UK. http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/united-kingdom/index_en.htm
    If you had claimed against a reseller you should have had the same outcome. It would probably have been more time consuming having to go through the Sale of Goods Act with the retailer.

It depends on how co-operative the reseller was - if they weren't it could involve taking them to court. It's less complicated for the consumer when the manufacturer, OS provider and retailer are one and the same and have the relevant law stated on their website.

It has a basis in EU law which has been incorporated in to Irish law - the same statute applies in the UK. http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

Other way around. We had the Sale of Goods Act in place which is better than what the EU Directive requires. Same with the UK, they had the SoGA long before EU Directive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Any recommendations for a cover for an 8? This is the cover I currently have on my 6 and have been happy with it. I use a Belkin charger cabling (as it's much longer than the Apple cable), but the lightning connector is a bit bigger than the Apple one, so need a cover that will work with it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I got an otter box cover for the 8plus I love it. Had an otter box for the 6 too. Best covers I ever had.

I got an otter box cover for the 8plus I love it. Had an otter box for the 6 too. Best covers I ever had.

I can see the appeal from the Otterbox covers, but I'm looking for something thinner and a bit more minimalist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

BDJW wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a cover for an 8? This is the cover I currently have on my 6 and have been happy with it. I use a Belkin charger cabling (as it's much longer than the Apple cable), but the lightning connector is a bit bigger than the Apple one, so need a cover that will work with it

This sounds like what your looking for, also comes with tempered Glass screen protector.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TORRAS-Ultra-Thin-Tempered-Protector-Protective-Space-Black/dp/B01NCSEB24/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513095874&sr=1-11&keywords=iphone+8+plus+case

BobbyT28 wrote: »

I have that. I like it. Only thing is no lip for facing glass down. Still looking for a case that thin with a lip.

I have that. I like it. Only thing is no lip for facing glass down. Still looking for a case that thin with a lip.

Well this is what you want then, I use it and find it great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iPhone-Spigen-Liquid-Durable-Design-Nero/dp/B01GIWG3D6/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513108682&sr=1-6&keywords=spigen+iphone+8+plus+case

Slim with a ridge to protect glass.

Thanks. Thing is I don’t like TFU. I prefer hard cases. I don’t like the ones that bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I had a quick look on Amazon yesterday, and two cases caught my eye. This is one of them, but like you Eire, the no lip on the front is a little off putting

This is the second case that caught my eye. The link above is for the 8+, this is the link for the 8.

I like the look of the case, it is three times the thickness of the Torras case above, but it is still only adds 3mm of thickness to the phone. The only thing that is putting me off it slightly is the few reviews that are saying the inside of the case is marking the back of a few phones

[/QUOTE]This is the second case that caught my eye. The link above is for the 8+, this is the link for the 8.

I like the look of the case, it is three times the thickness of the Torras case above, but it is still only adds 3mm of thickness to the phone. The only thing that is putting me off it slightly is the few reviews that are saying the inside of the case is marking the back of a few phones[/QUOTE]

I have had this case on the 7+ and now the 8+ and I can say that it has never marked my phone. Also, the insode is TPU so can't see how it would?

Unless something got inside the case like grimme, nbut I can't see how that would damage it as it is a nice snug fit non the phone

BobbyT28

Thanks for your help lads. Think I'm going to go with a Fuleadture case. Just need to decide between black or blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ordered this from amazon for the 8 plus We will see. Should have it Monday. First time trying a transparent back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

dodzy wrote: »
    Ordered this from amazon for the 8 plus We will see. Should have it Monday. First time trying a transparent back.

I’ve been using that case. A small bit of dust can get it in there but they’re really good cases. A quick clean of the back and don’t touch the inside of the case and it’s fine though. Doesn’t add much bulk and really solid.

Advertisement