Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminding pay

Options
  • 13-09-2017 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi was wondering if anybody could advise me on pay for a childminder I currently mind 3 children in their home 3 days per week from 9 to 4.30 in that time I've school runs that add up to 17 km a day I travel 32 km from my house to them but that's my choice I'm curently getting 165 euro for them days is that pay ok considering I've 17 km school runs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Pollly7937 wrote: »
    Hi was wondering if anybody could advise me on pay for a childminder I currently mind 3 children in their home 3 days per week from 9 to 4.30 in that time I've school runs that add up to 17 km a day I travel 32 km from my house to them but that's my choice I'm curently getting 165 euro for them days is that pay ok considering I've 17 km school runs

Is that 165 before or after tax/ deductions etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pollly7937

After

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

if you are working in their home then you are an employee and entitled to minimum wage. parent should be registered as employer and paying your taxes and their contribution to PRSI. Citizen Info Centre will give you details of your rights. Check your car insurance for carrying children who are not yours.

That doesn't appear to be minimum wage. Unless you're paying a huge amount of taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

After

Work out what rate per hour you are getting and then compare to minimum wage etc

Maybe look up childminder roles in creches etc to get rough ballpark rates.

If it's close to them that then either negotiate or look for something else.

Good childminders are hard to come by so best of luck!

• Advertisement

I only pay 25 tax beleive it our not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I would think something along the lines of 5Eur per child per hour gross.

Om getting 7 euro roughly when I add it up

daheff wrote: »
    I would think something along the lines of 5Eur per child per hour gross.
    I'm getting 7 euro for all 3 kids per hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

seems a bit light for 3 kids. 165 a week works out at 715 per month. You wouldnt put one child in a creche for that money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I'm getting 7 euro for all 3 kids per hour

Min wage applies so 9.25ph is the least you should be earning, going rate is about 10-15 plus mileage,not too work but your school miles etc.
    They are also supposed to PAYE employers PRSI and if you earn enough you pay tax too.

So 7 1/2x3 = 22.5 hours
    165 %22.5 = 7.33 ph

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

TheShow wrote: »
    seems a bit light for 3 kids. 165 a week works out at 715 per month. You wouldnt put one child in a creche for that money.

3 day week creche is about 800 in Dublin. The parents are getting extremely cheap childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Can't really compare to creche rates. Creche generally includes food, building, insurance, longer hours, more staff requirements etc etc.

Child minders will always be cheaper, however, 175 p/w is quite cheap. You are in a fantastic position to negotiate though. Assuming everything is going well for you with the family and kids I'd ask for 200. Worst case you'll probably get something at least.

Explain that your running costs are too expensive to keep this up long term, particularly as you're only working 3 days. If it's 32km each way it's a lot of mileage per week at your own cost. You're not a martyr after all.

I know from experience that getting a minder for 3 days is difficult. People want full time work. Fact of life. I'd say they'll pay it.

FWIW I have 3 kids in creche for 3 days, one is after school as well. 1400eur approx. It'll give you an idea of what their options are if you opt out. They'll know that too.

Best of luck though, it's not an easy business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Your fuel alone will be €15-20 for a small car

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Can't really compare to creche rates. Creche generally includes food, building, insurance, longer hours, more staff requirements etc etc.

Child minders will always be cheaper, however, 175 p/w is quite cheap. You are in a fantastic position to negotiate though. Assuming everything is going well for you with the family and kids I'd ask for 200. Worst case you'll probably get something at least.

Explain that your running costs are too expensive to keep this up long term, particularly as you're only working 3 days. If it's 32km each way it's a lot of mileage per week at your own cost. You're not a martyr after all.

I know from experience that getting a minder for 3 days is difficult. People want full time work. Fact of life. I'd say they'll pay it.

FWIW I have 3 kids in creche for 3 days, one is after school as well. 1400eur approx. It'll give you an idea of what their options are if you opt out. They'll know that too.

Best of luck though, it's not an easy business.

Childminders in their own home will always be cheaper. Childminders in the children's home should not be cheaper.
    The minimum the OP is legally entitled to is €9.25 per hour. She should also be getting a payslip. The parents should be paying Employer's PRSI and deducting tax/prsi/USC on behalf of the OP and paying that to Revenue. The OP is also entitled to a P60 at the end of each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Childminders in their own home will always be cheaper. Childminders in the children's home should not be cheaper.
    The minimum the OP is legally entitled to is €9.25 per hour. She should also be getting a payslip. The parents should be paying Employer's PRSI and deducting tax/prsi/USC on behalf of the OP and paying that to Revenue. The OP is also entitled to a P60 at the end of each year.

They are though...

I absolutely am grateful for the advice but I know my rights I only asked what my pay fair I don't want to seem rude but I'd like reply to my question not my rights 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

No, your pay is not fair if you are getting less than minimum wage per hour (depending on your age/ experience) and you are not getting any contribution towards collection and drop off kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

No. Your pay is not fair. The parents are exploiting you.
    You are getting €165 into your hand each week. You say that €25 is taken in tax. Do you have evidence (by payslip or P60) to prove that €25 is actually going to Revenue? (Is there a possibility that the parents are telling you it's being paid, but in fact it isn't?)

So €165 plus €25 gives a weekly gross figure of €190. The absolute minimum you should be getting is €208 (€9.25 by 22.5 hours per week).
    You should also ask for payment to cover the school collections.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Why are you paying tax? As far as I'm aware child-minders making under a certain amount (which you would be under considering your wages) don't have to pay tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

hasdanta wrote:
    Why are you paying tax? As far as I'm aware child-minders making under a certain amount (which you would be under considering your wages) don't have to pay tax

Only when the childminder is working in their own home. When they work in the children's home, it doesn't apply.

hasdanta wrote: »

15k tax exempt, you just pay prsi only if you are a childminder in your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

As you're minding in the child's home you're actually called a (live out) nanny, not a Childminder. The parents are having the time of their life with you, they've struck gold.

You are being exploited. Yes you should at least be on minimum wage, however, typically a nanny would cost 500 a week for one child/ 100 a day.

As an employee you are entitled to holidays too.

And if you were in a crash with those kids in your car, it is unlikely your insurance would be valid, as it is work associated. Aside from that huge issue, you need to charge for mileage.

If I were you I would ring revenue with your PPS number just to make sure the parents are actually paying tax. If they are not it will affect your stamps, should you need illness benefit,social welfare or a pension in the future.

Advertisement