Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So whats your injury Palmares

Options
  • 13-09-2017 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Thought i'd start this to see if i'm unusually injury prone or not (Road biker BTW)
    Last 2 years:

Broken Colar Bone
    Skiers Thumb
    Haemotama to the hip
    Broken Shoulder
    Broken Lower Vertabrae
    Severe contusions to Mid Thoracic area of the spine

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not as bad as my reputation among friends and family for falling suggests.

Fractured Elbow
    Concussion
    a couple of stiches in the knee

I think Beasty will win this thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe people should specify whether they're racing/commuting/leisure injuries?

not much for me - sprained ankle while commuting, and a few stitches and dented pride half a km from the house when i cycled into a taxi.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I've been exceptionally lucky.

I've had 2 major incidents, one where i ended up having to roll between the wheels of a 5 axle truck (pre city centre ban) and one where i got detached from my pedals coming down by killiney dart station and hitting a car that ahd stopped but then decided to pull out.

both times all i had was bruising and pain, could have been far worse both times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Bruised face
    Bruised limbs
    And the crowning achievement, a broken scapula.

All of this while commuting in Dublin and London. I've never had a serious incident while on the road for pleasure, touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

maldondo wrote: »
    Broken Shoulder
    Broken Lower Vertabrae
    Severe contusions to Mid Thoracic area of the spine

Eesh... that's unpleasant. Was this all in the one fall?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I also once ended up in the Royal Canal and had to take something in case of Weil's disease. All of mine are commuting. Plenty of other cuts and bruises from falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

just injured pride when I failed to clip out in time at traffic lights and ended up on my bum.

Guess Ive been extremely lucky long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

O.P., Looks like you've had as many crashes as your Formula 1 (almost) namesake!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

1 broken collarbone
    1 broken shoulder
    1 concussion
    4 broken vertebrae
    3 separate accidents in 9 months :(:(:(
    plus 3 broken helmets

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Fractured my pelvis in four places, low speed roundabout training injury. Took four months to resolve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Training spins
    Hip fracture (DHS repair 2 fractures)
    Shoulder fracture (greater tuberosity)
    Eye socket blowout fracture (eyebrow compression)

Miscellaneous bike related
    cracked ribs
    couple of wrist fractures
    usual road rash, cuts scrapes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Over 30 years cycling...worst was cuts/bruises to my head when i was 15 or 16!

crashed during a race a few years ago and cut my Knee and elbow!

Guess I'm just not trying hard enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Dec 2004 - commute - bounced face first off a Toyota Yaris - Fractured front tooth on the gumline. Root canal post and crown over the course of 12 months.

Aside from that, saddle sores and an occasional bruise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

MTB

2 x dislocated shoulders

2 x haematoma to the shin which drained into my foot and was all kinds of painful.

Neck injury yet to be confirmed.

Road bike

Nothing more than road rash and a few bumps.

It's true what they say I took up mtb to meet women. Mainly nurses ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Currently recovering from two dislocated shoulders following a collision with a car. Non-cycling related in the last few years include an inguenal hernia and sprained ankle. Over the rest of my 50 years broken leg, elbow, toes, ribs, dislocated knee and burning all the skin off my left hand. If I was a mobile phone, I feel I'd be due an upgrade at this point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

smacl wrote: »
    If I was a mobile phone, I feel I'd be due an upgrade at this point ;)

I think it's more likely they'd issue a recall :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

I've had a few broken derailleurs alright but no broken bones
    Bust my hip fairly badly last year.
    Had two bad crashes when I was younger but amazingly got away with only cuts and bruises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I've frequently broken my wallet

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well as you asked:

2009 - commute - 40 km/h - heavy concussion, skin graft around the eye and a lot of road rash - right forearm is still showing the effects

2010 - training - 44 km/h - broken right wrist as I came off on ice

2014 - racing - 50 km/h - unconscious for 30 mins/serious concussion. Tongue blocked airway. Minor fractures in two vertebrae - neck and back. Fractured jaw, fractured right wrist, fractured left elbow, 2 fractures in cheekbone/sinuses, 2 fractures in temple area, 2 fractures to eye socket, and quite a headache

Oh, and nearly forgot - 1966 3 fractures to leg when I was run over....

....by a bike

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

07Lapierre wrote: »
    worst was cuts/bruises to my head when i was 15 or 16!

You mean you cannot remember when it happened? - perhaps you had a concussion also - have you had your HIA?:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Beasty wrote: »
    Well as you asked:

2009 - commute - 40 km/h - heavy concussion, skin graft around the eye and a lot of road rash - right forearm is still showing the effects

2010 - training - 44 km/h - broken right wrist as I came off on ice

2014 - racing - 50 km/h - unconscious for 30 mins/serious concussion. Tongue blocked airway. Minor fractures in two vertebrae - neck and back. Fractured jaw, fractured right wrist, fractured left elbow, 2 fractures in cheekbone/sinuses, 2 fractures in temple area, 2 fractures to eye socket, and quite a headache

Oh, and nearly forgot - 1966 3 fractures to leg when I was run over....

....by a bike

All that and still a handsome old codger :P

All that and still a handsome old codger :P
    Hey - less of the "handsome" petal...

(thought I'd better pre-empt one of the "usual suspects" getting that in)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for those joining the thread now, cycling is a safe activity and the health benefits outweigh the dangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Beasty wrote: »
    You mean you cannot remember when it happened? - perhaps you had a concussion also - have you had your HIA?:p

Oh I remember it alright! I was cycling by Busarus towards Amien Street. The plastic bag that I was holding in my left hand swung into the front wheel and sent me head first over the bars! A woman came over and helped me up off the ground and gave me some tissues to wipe away the blood. I cycled home with vision from only one eye as my right eye was bruised and swollen! Ah memories! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Concussion serious enough to get me signed off work for 2 weeks. Never experienced anything like it before or since. Weird experience.
    Bruised and cut face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I had my feelings hurt once.

Came off on a roundabout when I was a kid. Steel pedal caught my shin and dug in as far as the bone. Pretty nasty scar, made worse after years of rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I tend to be injury free for years and then loads of stuff happens all at once...

From the BMX: Three broken fingers, two broken wrists and a broken nose.
    From the MTB: Two broken wrists and a broken hand, this happened on the road ironically. Cuts and bruises otherwise.
    From the Roadie: Broken neck, broken chest, three ribs, little finger, complete shoulder separation, pulled a muscle in my neck once after hitting a car, its never been right since. Going for surgery number four on shoulder in December, four years after the crash that caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Ouch, how did you do two shoulders at the same time??

smacl wrote: »
    Currently recovering from two dislocated shoulders following a collision with a car. Non-cycling related in the last few years include an inguenal hernia and sprained ankle. Over the rest of my 50 years broken leg, elbow, toes, ribs, dislocated knee and burning all the skin off my left hand. If I was a mobile phone, I feel I'd be due an upgrade at this point ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Injury free for most part. other than mtb one spill on road bike, when I went from 60km/h, a little bit of braking and then sideways into the side of a bus to end a lovely 100km spin to Killarney. Was on beer within 1hr but was I lucky and knew it

• Advertisement

From the Roadie: Broken neck, broken chest, three ribs, little finger, complete shoulder separation, pulled a muscle in my neck once after hitting a car, its never been right since. Going for surgery number four on shoulder in December, four years after the crash that caused it.
    good god.

Advertisement