Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer has completely messed up pension and PRSI payments

• 13-09-2017 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, looking for some advice. My husband works for the HSE and was promoted years ago. On promotion, he became "officer grade" meaning a better pension. Unfortunately, his HR department missed that memo and never made the correct payments. Now he gets a letter saying his pension is down several thousand and that he has to pay up. To add insult to injury, while HR were underpaying his pension, they were overpaying PRSI but this was more than 4 years ago so none of it re-claimable. I figure the PRSI overpayment is about twice the pension underpayment. They say the pension payment is compulsory - fair enough, but what about the fact that they gave the tax man twice the amount they should've but we can't recover it? I'm thinking of going to an Employment Law solicitor but just wondering if we have a leg to stand on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It might not be recoverable from revenue but I'd agree with your idea of getting legal advice. It may be possible for him to take a civil case against his employer for any loss caused. An expert in the area would be able to advise based on the specific circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If an employer had been overpaying an employer over 4 years then you can be damn sure they'd be reclaiming it. So I'd be looking for legal advice.

However, your husband gets a P60 every year for a reason. He needs to be checking these kinds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mollyk123

Thanks for that - yes, will definitely get some professional advice.

Advertisement