Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this chiropractor deceiving me?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My missus's family all go this quack called an osteopath. Long story short - her mother wanted her to bring the baby a while back, her mother badgered her and eventually she gave in so I went along for the craic. Jaysus, talk about money for nothing.

The only thing they have going for them is that unlike a chiropractor, these shower won't cripple you, simply by virtue of the fact that they don't actually do anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Right. Let's dispel a few myths.

Your back doesnt "go out "
    Discs can not "slip"
    Bones do not "go out of place" thats called a dislocation
    Your vertebra cant be "popped back in place"
    The crack you hear from a manipulation does not mean the "joint is back in place". It's no different than cracking your knuckles. A build up a pressure is released. Simples.

You CANNOT pre determine how many sessions it will need to fix you. In fact, the only person that can fix you is YOU. The therapist can guide you along the way.

The "you need 10 sessions to be fixed" is a standard chiropractic (and podiatrist to some extent)marketing tactic which is actually taught as part of a module on their courses.

I have a certificate in manipulation and spent weeks practicing under the guidance of an osteopath to perfect the technique. Guess what. I never use it. I learned its all bull and there's far better ways of getting longer lasting results.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

thehamo wrote: »
    Right. Let's dispel a few myths.

Your back doesnt "go out "
    Discs can not "slip"
    Bones do not "go out of place" thats called a dislocation
    Your vertebra cant be "popped back in place"
    The crack you hear from a manipulation does not mean the "joint is back in place". It's no different than cracking your knuckles. A build up a pressure is released. Simples.

You CANNOT pre determine how many sessions it will need to fix you. In fact, the only person that can fix you is YOU. The therapist can guide you along the way.

The "you need 10 sessions to be fixed" is a standard chiropractic (and podiatrist to some extent)marketing tactic which is actually taught as part of a module on their courses.

I have a certificate in manipulation and spent weeks practicing under the guidance of an osteopath to perfect the technique. Guess what. I never use it. I learned its all bull and there's far better ways of getting longer lasting results.
    this 100% ^^^

ive yet to work with a single client that presented with back issues that didnt have -

- sh1tty mobility especially in the hips, t spine and ankles
    - midline stability average to poor and if mobility was ok the stability coming from the midline was not there at all.

address these areas also

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,297 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OP, I've merged your three threads on this issue into this one. Please stick to one forum and do not start multiple threads on the same issue. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Back when I was living off the parents they paid a lot of money to a chiropractor to try and fix back pain i was having, gave up eventually and went to physio, she told me id one leg shorter than the other, gave me a few exercises/stretches and that was it, pain id had for months gone in days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

IvoryTower wrote: »
    pain id had for months gone in days.

An experienced quack could have dragged that out for years of 'treatment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

A doctor of chiropractic is not a medical doctor like we are used to here in Ireland, they can't prescribe drugs for example.

They often have a degree level qualification and would be state regulated in many countries.

Myself, physio and local chiropractor all agree that, we tell patients that if you have had 4 or more treatments without significant improvement then either get second opinion or you should have been referred for further testing. Probably through GP.

This gets people away from multiple treatment style practitioners of all kinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

kal7 wrote: »
    Myself, physio and local chiropractor all agree that,

I don't know what you do for a living but I find it hard to believe that somebody who went to the trouble of obtaining a legitimate and respected qualification as a physiotherapist would risk their own reputation by associating themselves with a chiropractor, on a professional basis.

Advertisement