Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTB DIRT refund

Options
  • 13-09-2017 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I've bought an apartment this year and I'd like to claim the DIRT back on my savings.
    What I can't get my head around, the taxman takes away my cash and in the end it's up to me to have a proof how much DIRT I was deducted over 4 years. My problem is I've had account with 3 different bank and remember everything is near to impossible.
    The Revenue must have some records of DIRT paid or should I start thinking and digging up the old statements?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

padyjoe wrote: »
    The Revenue must have some records of DIRT paid or should I start thinking and digging up the old statements?

Start digging. Revenue won't have a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Start digging. The onus is on you if you want a refund as it's the bank who collect the money on behalf of the revenue. Ask each of the banks for interest certificates for the last 4 years and it will be fairly handy to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thank you!

I wonder if I go back to the bank I used to be with, would they be able to give me a cert as well? AFAIK the banks must keep your records for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thank you!

I wonder if I go back to the bank I used to be with, would they be able to give me a cert as well? AFAIK the banks must keep your records for 5 years.

Yes, but they will probably charge you for a statement that shows DIRT.

I did the FTB DIRT refund online recently and it was simple and fast to get the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Brenny123

do you know if this DIRT refund scheme still exists. I plan to buy a property this year 2019 but can find very little info on it. Not sure if it even exists. thanks for any insight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quite a bit of info on Revenue's site; as far as I know its still there. The amount involved is tiny for most people though due to how low interest rates have been for a few years

https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/services/common/apply-for-dirt-refund-for-first-time-buyers.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I've bought an apartment this year and I'd like to claim the DIRT back on my savings.
    What I can't get my head around, the taxman takes away my cash and in the end it's up to me to have a proof how much DIRT I was deducted over 4 years. My problem is I've had account with 3 different bank and remember everything is near to impossible.

Did you not get bank statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

L1011 wrote:
    Quite a bit of info on Revenue's site; as far as I know its still there.

Does that fourth introduction paragraph mean that if you used the HTB scheme that you cannot avail of this DIRT refund?

I only remember the HTB process asking for information about income tax so I'm confused as to how it could cover DIRT also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

If you get HTB you can't claim your DIRT back also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Brenny123 wrote: »
    do you know if this DIRT refund scheme still exists. I plan to buy a property this year 2019 but can find very little info on it. Not sure if it even exists. thanks for any insight.

It ended in 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Klonker wrote: »
    If you get HTB you can't claim your DIRT back also.

You can. You just can't claim th the dirt back for both.

Either way, this scheme ended 2 years ago

Advertisement