Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Sevilla UCL Matchday 1, RTÉ 2 and BT Sport 2 7:45pm

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

murpho999 wrote: »
    He means defensively.

He didn't he means as a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Is it 13 goals we have conceded - like in the context of the top teams it must be what 3/4 times the amount ?

They battered one of the best sides in Spain and either lovern doesn't **** up or the pen is converted and it's an easy win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Does Klopp have any idea how to set up the defensive side of the team ?Really doesn't look like he can which is very worrying for Pool.
    Can't outscore teams every week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

niallo27 wrote: »
    He didn't he means as a team.

No, he's talking about the defending. You need to listen to him as he started off saying how the defence was poor when Klopp took over and it has not improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,715 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol Moreno is an old banger :D

They battered one of the best sides in Spain and either lovern doesn't **** up or the pen is converted and it's an easy win.

But they didn't do that so it's not good enough.

Lot of If's there .
    Or how about the team and management know how to do the simple things defensively?

As a neutral, I thought it was a good first half of football. The second was very sloppy from both teams though.

Sevilla manager Eduardo Berizzo's behaviour was just bizarre. His team were chasing the result and he's at that shíte? :confused: People laughing at Klopp's 'What did I do?', Berizzo's took the prize for me, he deserves a sideline ban.

That's a game Liverpool should have had won by half-time but were lucky not to lose in the final moments. A game where they expanded their 'Goals conceded from set-pieces' repertoire to now include throw-ins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The 4th best team in Spain & if Salah does't get away with a blatant foul for his goal then it might not be an easy win. Either way it seems to be a very consistent story with them. Im a United fan but I think Liverpool are the most entertaining side to watch at present, both good & bad.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Lot of If's there .
    Or how about the team and management know how to do the simple things defensively?

Not really they battered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Is it just me or is the way Liverpool play a bit mental. They seem to expend all their energy in the 1st half and if a team is still in it until the second half, Liverpool are screwed because they are all knackered.

The game finished 2-2 that's what is important.

What was the score?
    Can batter teams every week but if you have no clue how to defend there are gonna be plenty of nights like tonight.
    Sevilla coukd have snatched it at the end and again it was from lack of savvy at the back

The game finished 2-2 that's what is important.

So just ignore the performance. I mean the first half was excellent.

• Advertisement

A game of football is 90 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

great to have good halfs yeah

then the defence collectively farts all over it, and it ends up 2-2

Looking at Klopp's Bunesligas seasons in 2011 & 12 and he only conceded 22 & 25 league goals respectively.

That would suggest to me it's not Klopp's defensive coaching and tactics is the issue but the personnel and transfers.

Really need to get defenders in over next two windows but it should have been done in the last year.

What was the score?
    Can batter teams every week but if you have no clue how to defend there are gonna be plenty of nights like tonight.
    Sevilla coukd have snatched it at the end and again it was from lack of savvy at the back

It worked last year. Getting into top 4 was excellent last year. I'm sure arsenal or utd would have swapped the league form last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It worked last year. Getting into top 4 was excellent last year. I'm sure arsenal or utd would have swapped the league form last year.

Ye had no European football last season.

• Advertisement

That's grand in the Premier League but if you have ambitions of progressing to the quarters onwards in the champions league you need to calm things down a bit and manage a game for the full 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is it just me or is the way Liverpool play a bit mental. They seem to expend all their energy in the 1st half and if a team is still in it until the second half, Liverpool are screwed because they are all knackered.

Sums them up. Everything is manic and it can look like they are destroying a team especially when the opposition is poor. But they are burning up energy and will be knackered come Feb or March.

Unfortunately the trend always at home with Liverpool is to play with this manic style. Inevitably they will be picked off by organised clinical teams who won't need to do a huge amount in the game.

I always thought with Benitez you had a chance in big games in Europe as he knew how to set up a team to be tight and make it difficult for even the best of teams. Granted against weaker teams they struggled to create. The balance isn't right.

This guy Klopp seems to have the same manic aggression on the sideline. You need a calm head.

Yes but this is the champions league - they will face better teams that will absorb that panicked football and love breaking on pool with crap defenders.

Top teams in Europe have fantastic forwards. Look at Seville tonight they had how many chances and scored 2 goals. And should have had a 3rd.

That's grand in the Premier League but if you have ambitions of progressing to the quarters onwards in the champions league you need to calm things down a bit and manage a game for the full 90.

True it's a bit mental. It's exciting though. I just think people are not giving enough credit for the great football which has got results. He does deserve criticism for the defensive set-up without doubt.

No, as attacking is not our issue. We are great going forward. Defence is our problem.

As this result shows as well as conceding 7 goals in the last two games.

There i a definite problem there and I don't know why you are in denial about it.

Getting into top 4 was excellent last year but can it be repeated again and why hasnt he tried to improve the defensive set up?
    Maybe he has and it just not working .Pool play excellent attacking football but it means **** all if there are constantly liable to concede soft goals.No EU football last year was a huge advantage.

Not sure what relevance United or Arsenal have to this thread but as a United supporter looking back now I wouldn't swap United's season for Pool's. United were piss poor at times last year but won 2 competitions and are in CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

True it's a bit mental. It's exciting though. I just think people are not giving enough credit for the great football which has got results. He does deserve criticism for the defensive set-up without doubt.

What results?

Staggering over the line for 4th place?

Arsenal managed that for years up until last season and ye lads ridiculed them for it.

It is great to watch - but we want to win things - not entertain ?

There is way too much to chance.

Top teams are about process - not chance.

What results?

Staggering over the line for 4th place?

Arsenal managed that for years up until last season and ye lads ridiculed them for it.

They came 4th because they deserved it. It was a big achievement for Liverpool to get CL football, it was tough to finish ahead of arsenal and utd and it was all down to getting results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Looking at Klopp's Bunesligas seasons in 2011 & 12 and he only conceded 22 & 25 league goals respectively.

That would suggest to me it's not Klopp's defensive coaching and tactics is the issue but the personnel and transfers.

Really need to get defenders in over next two windows but it should have been done in the last year.

It helps when you are playing cannon fodder almost every week they conceded 12 goals in 6 games in the CL that year and it wasn't exactly a group of world beaters.

Klopp has gone very stale now, he just doesn't seem to want to adapt to the world around him. His career pretty much gone downwards since 2013.

Id love to know what he does be thinking when he watches a game back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

No, as attacking is not our issue. We are great going forward. Defence is our problem.

As this result shows as well as conceding 7 goals in the last two games.

There i a definite problem there and I don't know why you are in denial about it.

I am not sure if they are that good up front either.

Firmino just doesn't cut it as a top 9. Doesn't score enough goals or hold the ball up.

Salah's end product is poor.

Mane does look the real deal though. Great pace, strength and a great finish.

Gomes could be decent at the back and Matip could be ok alongside a top CH but Moreno and Lovren are a waste of time.

It is great to watch - but we want to win things - not entertain ?

There is way too much to chance.

Top teams are about process - not chance.

What do you want though. You want klopp out.

It helps when you are playing cannon fodder almost every week they conceded 12 goals in 6 games in the CL that year and it wasn't exactly a group of world beaters.

Klopp has gone very stale now, he just doesn't seem to want to adapt to the world around him. His career pretty much gone downwards since 2013.

Id love to know what he does be thinking when he watches a game back

Don't ever change. You make this place a better place for everyone.

What do you want though. You want klopp out.

No - do his job.

Or if he can't, get someone in team on pitch and off that can.

They came 4th because they deserved it. It was a big achievement for Liverpool to get CL football, it was tough to finish ahead of arsenal and utd and it was all down to getting results.

Ye played 20 odd games less than United and finished what, 5 or 6 points or so ahead?

Probably 10 to 15 less than Arse and ye finished 1 point ahead of them.

The wheels nearly came off yer season entirely when he had more than one game a week during the Christmas period.

If Klopp can sort out the defence then ye would be contenders for the title but he is either unwilling or incapable of doing that.

Sexy football is great when it works but no plan b and an inept defence will be the undoing of the team.

Ye played 20 odd games less than United and finished what, 5 or 6 points or so ahead?

The wheels nearly came off yer season entirely when he had more than one game a week during the Christmas period.

If Klopp can sort out the defence then ye would be contenders for the title but he is either unwilling or incapable of doing that.

Sexy football is great when it works but no plan b and an inept defence will be the undoing of the team.

Who cares they played less games. It did nothing for utd the season before last when they had no European football. You make it sound so easy though. Jose and pep were miles away from challenging last year. You make this management thing to be so simple.

Yes when we were 2 - 1 up . We were still playing as if we needed 2 goals with 10 minutes to go. It was chaos.

Not at one stage - did a ball go backwards , slow game down , take a breather , let Seville chase the ball. It continued to be high sped interplay outside their box millimeters from a counter - and trouble from any team with any pace.

It was energy sapping and dangerous with us winning.

You would seriously have to ask - Has klopp an issue with winning 2-1 with say 20 minutes to go ?

He just doesn't know how to hold out a win in a different style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Liverpool are going to burn out quick smart if the only plan is to score and not defend this season.

With so much pressure on your attacking players, they will drop out with injuries very quickly

Who cares they played less games. It did nothing for utd the season before last when they had no European football. You make it sound so easy though. Jose and pep were miles away from challenging last year. You make this management thing to be so simple.

Every manager in the world cares about how many games their team plays.Less games is always preferable.
    Pool got 4th last season which was a excellent achievement considering what Klopp was working with but he missed a trick by not sorting out the squad this summer.The extra games this season will have a huge baring on how things pan out and I'd be surprised if the second half of the season doesn't show the effects of it.

• Advertisement

Every manager in the world cares about how many games their team plays.Less games is always preferable.
    Pool got 4th last season which was a excellent achievement considering what Klopp was working with but he missed a trick by not sorting out the squad this summer.The extra games this season will have a huge baring on how things pan out and I'd be surprised if the second half of the season doesn't show the effects of it.

Sure we will just have to wait and see I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We were actually grand over the Christmas. It was in January when Mane was away at the AFCON and Coutinho was injured that we had the bad run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Jim Belgin:
    “It’s set up for Countinho now for a grandstand finish.”

Countinho becomes invisible

The season before last, VanGowls second in charge, we had CL football and won the FA Cup?

I never said management was easy.

However every man and their dog can see the problems that exist in your team at the moment, read yer own superthread, it's clear that the defence is the major issue and has been for the duration of Klopps tenure.

You just seem intent on papering over the massive cracks by extolling the virtues of Klopps style of football that has been to date, fruitless for ye (aside from nicking 4th last year)

As you said though, time will tell and its a long season ahead.

The season before last, VanGowls second in charge, we had CL football and won the FA Cup?

I never said management was easy.

However every man and their dog can see the problems that exist in your team at the moment, read yer own superthread, it's clear that the defence is the major issue and has been for the duration of Klopps tenure.

You just seem intent on papering over the massive cracks by extolling the virtues of Klopps style of football that has been to date, fruitless for ye (aside from nicking 4th last year)

As you said though, time will tell and its a long season ahead.

You seem intent on playing down the importance of getting CL football last year. I mean Liverpool are coming from a lower base than other clubs but yet people think they should automatically be title contenders. Of course I know there are issues but all managers have flaws and make some crazy desicions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Going for a policy of Van Dijk or nothing combined with making Moreno first choice is backfiring. Is anyone suprised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Keita, Van Dijk, a left back and keeper required. Probably well over 200 million. If they can arrange this before fleecing Barca with Coutinho they'll be grand

Advertisement