Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedsits coming back?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

LirW wrote: »
    I live in a terrace of 10 houses in a small village, 5 privately owned and 5 are still in council's ownership.
    I couldn't give a toss about the arrangements of my neighbors. Beside the elderly lady, there are solely families in the council houses, my boy is friends with all the kids. All the families have at least one working parent. Wouldn't annoy me in the slightest if one of them buys the house out of council ownership because honestly: I don't care, good for them, they're all lovely people.

Thats great on a personal level. But the reality is the working public pays for the public owned housing. Most people are nice in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

TresGats wrote: »
    At present on Daft there are 6 pre-'63 houses for sale under 2m, total beds= 50. However, all of these are already converted into 2, 1 bed and studios, so I fail to see where the housing stock is going to come from. There are policies, and then there is reality.

In Dublin 2,4,6,7, and 8 on Daft there are 16 multi-unit houses under 2m. At least half will be de-converted from flats. There are other houses which may well be multi unit but are not being marketed as such. Bed spaces are being taken out of the market at a time of extreme shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Seanachai

They should never have gotten rid of all those bedsits just because of the lack of an integrated bathroom. It can be a nuisance in the morning if the other tenant is getting ready at the same time, but as long as the flat is fire-safe and doesn't have mould issues a lot of people could live with this, just for the sake of having their own privacy.

I live in a studio flat, the building is a bit shabby because of it's age but it's all I can afford and I dread the thought of having to find a similar place if the landlord sells up. Hopefully their will be options available soon for lower paid workers who don't want to go into the minefield that is sharing.

Advertisement