Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Royal Mail become so slow ?

Options
  • 13-09-2017 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I remember back in the 00s, if something was posted to me in GB on a Monday I'd have it Wednesday or Thursday, nowadays it will be the following Monday if not later.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Basal wrote: »
    I remember back in the 00s, if something was posted to me in GB on a Monday I'd have it Wednesday or Thursday, nowadays it will be the following Monday if not later.

Because it's no longer in public ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Weird we often get things between UK & Ireland arrive next day!

jimmii wrote: »
    Weird we often get things between UK & Ireland arrive next day!

Usually about a week for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

About 4/5 working days for mine, except the 2 occasions since we started using our postcode that my items went via Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Usually about a week for me.

Possibly helps that we're next door to a sorting office.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I had a small packet left the UK on Thursday, delivered to me on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Doesn't it depend on whether you pay first class or regular? I heard about some standard class mail that was deliberately shipped to a sorting office in Wales, just to delay delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭briany

Only recently I had a standard rate parcel dispatched from the UK, and it took about 2 weeks to arrive. :O I was starting to take it for lost when it showed up, and had already contacted the seller about a refund.

On the other hand, stuff from the UK that I can track still whips through the system. Less than 5 working days in almost all cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

aujopimur wrote: »
    About 4/5 working days for mine, except the 2 occasions since we started using our postcode that my items went via Canada.

Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

cnoc wrote: »
    Please explain.

When they were delivered about 2 weeks late they were stamped, misent to Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

whiterebel wrote: »
    I had a small packet left the UK on Thursday, delivered to me on Monday.

Same happened to me last week, ordered Thursday received Monday ,but that was a first, normally a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Depends on what service the sender is using

International Standard = 2-5 days

International Economy = 7-14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I watched my post man try to deliver a package from the UK 3 times before he left the missed delivery notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Del2005 wrote: »
    I watched my post man try to deliver a package from the UK 3 times before he left the missed delivery notice.

That's a service that some retailers pay extra for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Del2005 wrote: »

Why didn't you let him know that you were there instead of watching him try deliver it 3 times?

All express packets have 3 attempts to be delivered before the postman will leave a dib notice in the door.
    The packet goes out in the morning, again in the evening and then once more the following morning if delivery is unsuccessful.
    If people put their phone number on their order, the postman can then ring you from their scanner and make alternative arrangements for delivery, ie, deliver to a neighbour or leave it somewhere safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mackeire wrote: »
    Why didn't you let him know that you were there instead of watching him try deliver it 3 times?

All express packets have 3 attempts to be delivered before the postman will leave a dib notice in the door.
    The packet goes out in the morning, again in the evening and then once more the following morning if delivery is unsuccessful.
    If people put their phone number on their order, the postman can then ring you from their scanner and make alternative arrangements for delivery, ie, deliver to a neighbour or leave it somewhere safe.

Because I wasn't home when he called. It was 3 different days they tried to deliver, the one day I was home they didn't try!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I sent a postcard from London to Dallas in May, correct postage/address. It arrived on the 9th August having gone via the Philippines. Royal Mail had no explanation.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I sent a postcard from London to Dallas in May, correct postage/address. It arrived on the 9th August having gone via the Philippines. Royal Mail had no explanation.

I have an explanation.
    There is a Dallas in Manila in the Phillipines!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

:)

The address did say Texas, USA as well as Dallas though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brandyjessie

After reading these replies. I am now concerned about an important package which was sent over 2 Weeks ago from the U.K to Ireland and has not yet arrived. Has the bad weather this March slowed the system down. Before the normal waiting time has taken between 2 and 4 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

After reading these replies. I am now concerned about an important package which was sent over 2 Weeks ago from the U.K to Ireland and has not yet arrived. Has the bad weather this March slowed the system down. Before the normal waiting time has taken between 2 and 4 days.

Ordered a item from UK it was posted on the 5/3 ,contacted seller presumed lost in post, arrived yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Zebbedee wrote: »
    That's a service that some retailers pay extra for.

Nope, that's standard service.

Try, try again in evening, try again next morning, then leave notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

A letter posted to me from England on 27th feb arrived yesterday, so don’t give up hope yet!

Book dispatched in the UK on 12th March arrived yesterday. That had been the norm for us over the sat few years - ten to twelve days.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

There have been a lot of recent delays within the UK also. 1st class items have a next day delivery aim. This year almost 15% of my packets are taking 72 hours and some up to a week!

Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

3 days normally for me from the uk
    If it’s a package or parcel I’m in a rush for I use parcel wizard and I get it within two days
    Parcels registered from Ireland to the uk are 3 days also
    Good service for the money I think

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

I've met a lot of people who worked in the Royal Mails centre of illegible post - quite a lot of time post will get sent to places like India or Durban (rather than Ireland or Dublin) due to terrible fonts used on printed addresses or bad handwriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

There are a lot of Royal Mail bags being used by An Post. Maybe they are sturdier. I’ve seen them when the postman arrives in office buildings

Somewhere in the UK a manager is cursing An Post as thieves :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] quite a lot of time post will get sent to places like India or Durban (rather than Ireland or Dublin) due to terrible fonts used on printed addresses or bad handwriting.

True.

Some of my post went through Iceland for that very reason. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Recent letter for me was posted from the UK on the 1 March and arrived on Thursday

:(

Advertisement