Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you follow new music?

• 13-09-2017 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Bit out of touch with new music at the moment, are there any good radio stations , podcasts etc I should be following? Like a broad spectrum of music so just looking for new hip hop/electronic / bands etc. Sometimes put on radio 6 music in work in the evenings that's pretty good. Any suggestions? Don't want to pay for spotify.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The radio was never great for 'new' music. Probably best looking up some web based music magazines. I've found new bands I like tend to have been influenced by old bands I like. You'd be hard pressed to get beyond the corporate music the average radio station plays. Maybe download TuneIn or they've a web page. You can hear radio from around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭brevity

BBC Radio 6 mostly. Try and get their shows at midnight. Lauren Laverne, Tom Ravenscroft and Steve Lamacq have their recommends shows on. You can get them on the BBC iPlayer too.

Music blogs are pretty good too. Gorilla vs Bear/Stereogum/Pitchfork/Turntable Kitchen

There are a few I'm missing I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭thesultan

Today FM and 2fm used to be decent around 7-10. That's gone. Any good after 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭brevity

John Creedon on Rte Radio 1 at 8pm is also great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I use a site called hypem. It collates music blogs into a list of tracks and sorts them by popularity. Web app is free and think the mobile version with adds is free too. Or once off 2.50. Well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I visit the U.K. quite a bit and drive rental cars, and I always find myself tuning into BBC Radio 1

I find it gets very (very) repetitive after a while, but usually I'd always hear 2/3 belters of tracks from artists i'd not heard of before.

best shows for me are always Annie Mac & Mista Jam (though I'm not sure he's still on)

Advertisement