Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like I've made a mistake?

Options
  • 13-09-2017 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Long time visitor first time poster. I started college as a mature student last week and already my head is all over the place. When I found out during the summer that I got accepted into the course, I was so happy and was really excited about this new challenge. However, the week before starting college, I couldn't help but feel very different about it. It wasn't nerves, it was more a sense of dread but I tried to ignore it. I'm 24 and I already have a degree in the chef industry. I didn't hate it but I wanted to try another career if the food industry didn't work out for me in the long run. So about a year ago I decided I wanted to become a second level teacher. Applied to the cao earlier this year and here I am now. Only a week in and I've come home and been in total tears every day after college and even walking around campus feeling my eyes welling up. Its not the upcoming work load that's upsetting me, its the horrible feeling that I've made a mistake and not ready to go back to full time college yet, or even feeling like I don't even want to go through college again. I've had to quit my job and rely on savings and a loan to get me through this but I really miss work and making my own money and being independent. I was very serious about doing college again for the past year and considered the sacrifices but the reality is very different. Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

Hi,

I am returning to college this year having been working full time, am 35 now with 3 children. I understand the nerves, I haven't started classes yet but it's Orientation next week, along with a long distance commute and 13 hour days. I am nervous, afraid I won't be good enough, missing work...but, if it helps at all, I am going to view this as a job, albeit without the pay. It is doable, it is manageable, and with some sacrifices(time and financial) it will be worth it. I know it is easier said than done, but maybe make a deal with yourself to stick it out till Christmas. You will feel more certain one way or the other by then, and maybe when you feel overwhelmed next week you can feel safe in the knowledge of your 'get-out' clause. Also, do try talking to any supports on offer in college. Hope it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

Hi,

I am returning to college this year having been working full time, am 35 now with 3 children. I understand the nerves, I haven't started classes yet but it's Orientation next week, along with a long distance commute and 13 hour days. I am nervous, afraid I won't be good enough, missing work...but, if it helps at all, I am going to view this as a job, albeit without the pay. It is doable, it is manageable, and with some sacrifices(time and financial) it will be worth it. I know it is easier said than done, but maybe make a deal with yourself to stick it out till Christmas. You will feel more certain one way or the other by then, and maybe when you feel overwhelmed next week you can feel safe in the knowledge of your 'get-out' clause. Also, do try talking to any supports on offer in college. Hope it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

In a similar position, 35, new baby, full time intense job, starting evening degree tomorrow which is also very intense as it's a 2 yr eve degree.

Last few weeks I've been so anxious telling myself I can't do it etc etc but look, I'm gonna do it.

Think of the opportunity it may bring you career wise. It won't be as bad as you think.

Advertisement