Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband, who is best?

• 13-09-2017 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

No straight answers available from the main providers,of course if call centres are off the island it is probably not possible for them to give accurate readings!
    Is Eir Fibre up to 1000mb?
    vIRGIN mEDIA SAY THEY ARE BEST WITH 240 OR 360 MB DEPENDING ON PLAN.....AND THEN vODAFONE ARE OFFERING A CHANNEL THAT HAS CEASED TO EXIST IN THEIR LITERATURE! (iRISH TV)

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ethical wrote: »
    No straight answers available from the main providers,of course if call centres are off the island it is probably not possible for them to give accurate readings!
    Is Eir Fibre up to 1000mb?
    vIRGIN mEDIA SAY THEY ARE BEST WITH 240 OR 360 MB DEPENDING ON PLAN.....AND THEN vODAFONE ARE OFFERING A CHANNEL THAT HAS CEASED TO EXIST IN THEIR LITERATURE! (iRISH TV)

Both SIRO (fairly limited but growing geographic coverage) and open eir fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) infrastructure offer up to 1000Mb/s; open eir FTTH is currently more widely available especially in rural areas.

As well as actual fibre, you have what's known (to the intense annoyance of some of us) as "e-fibre", which is more accurately called fibre to the cabinet (FTTC), or even more accurately as VDSL. This gives speeds from 4-100Mb/s, depending how far you are from the cabinet or exchange and on the quality of your line.

With SIRO your retail options are Vodafone or Westnet. With open eir you have more choices, but it depends on whether it's FTTH or VDSL. Vodafone, for example, sell open eir VDSL but not FTTH.

Westnet sell SIRO FTTH, open eir FTTH and VDSL. Their call centre is in Castlebar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

It all depends on your location, i know that eir vodafone and more are colding calling offering unbelievable speeds over the phone however, your phone must be within 5km of your telephone exchange. However thats by line.... technically your house can be within 5km by road, but when the line is measured it could be more as it goes up and down poles and not nessecarily the shortest route... our eir broadband is bearable, however westnet has been fitted by people in close promiximity to us and they say its unbelieveable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I have Eir broadband now (in Ballina town) and find it very good - reliable and fast. Speeds are usually around 40 to 50 megs which is fine for watching netflix and online gaming. The highest I've ever seen it is at 90 megs, never reached 100.

I've been connected to Westnet in the past but found it unreliable. On a good few occasions, it would always seem to go down late on a friday evening but come back on a monday morning. It didn't help that the call centre closed for the weekend.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

For anyone who's interested, the first batch of SIRO premises in Westport is available to order from today. It's a fairly small batch - pretty much just St. Mary's Crescent and Horkan's Hill - but it's a start, and we're expecting more fairly soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What is your location OP? This will impact the "best" option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

For anyone who's interested, the first batch of SIRO premises in Westport is available to order from today. It's a fairly small batch - pretty much just St. Mary's Crescent and Horkan's Hill - but it's a start, and we're expecting more fairly soon.

May have asked you this in another thread Paul any date when we will see it in castlebar

naughto wrote: »
    May have asked you this in another thread Paul any date when we will see it in castlebar

It's live and available to order in about 500 premises in parts of east Castlebar and on the Moneen Road. I don't have a timeframe for expansion, but it should be on the cards.

I haven't updated this thread lately, but SIRO have been steadily adding premises in both Castlebar and Westport. There are just under 1800 premises available to order between the two towns.

The latest batch in Castlebar is a fairly large chunk of the housing estates out the Newport Road. In Westport, most of the recent updates are in the town centre, as well as the Knockranny/Buckwaria area.

As always, feel free to PM me an Eircode if you'd like me to check whether you're covered. And if you've been in touch before, we'll let you know if anything changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I haven't updated this thread lately, but SIRO have been steadily adding premises in both Castlebar and Westport. There are just under 1800 premises available to order between the two towns.

The latest batch in Castlebar is a fairly large chunk of the housing estates out the Newport Road. In Westport, most of the recent updates are in the town centre, as well as the Knockranny/Buckwaria area.

As always, feel free to PM me an Eircode if you'd like me to check whether you're covered. And if you've been in touch before, we'll let you know if anything changes.

Hey Paul,

While that's all great news for those people with a large selection of fiber providers, what about us outside the built up areas?
    We've been on your own wireless package for years now, and while we cannot complain about the service quality, the speeds are comparable to dial up with today's content.
    Have Westnet any plans in the near future to provide a high speed service to those who aren't fortunate to live in a populated area.

Corsav6

corsav6 wrote: »
    Hey Paul,

While that's all great news for those people with a large selection of fiber providers, what about us outside the built up areas?
    We've been on your own wireless package for years now, and while we cannot complain about the service quality, the speeds are comparable to dial up with today's content.
    Have Westnet any plans in the near future to provide a high speed service to those who aren't fortunate to live in a populated area.

Corsav6

I'm afraid we're pretty much at the mercy of the wholesale operators who are building fibre networks. As soon as fibre is available at the premises of any of our customers, we let them know.

It's not just populated areas. We are actually connecting more fibre customers in rural areas - Barnatra, Binghamstown, Aughagower - than we are in Castlebar or Westport.

Assuming the National Broadband Plan goes ahead, we should be able to offer high speed broadband to all our existing customers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement