Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the matter with tradespeople?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If you can't make it, just give a ring, it's not that hard really. People take days off work to wait for tradespeople and believe me there are better ways to spend your leave or overtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

This post has been deleted.

the problem stems from not being a business person. we are all trained in the trade, (carpenter,plumber etc) but not in running a business and how to organise it properly.
    I agree with you but its very hard trying to juggle everything. you cant please everyone .

now not ringing if you cant make it etc is just rude and inconsiderate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Unfortunately OP if you want the majority of posters to back you up in AH you have to give out about the Public Service not poor set upon tradespeople. Now that's a rant people like to get their teeth into. ;);)

/s

No worries, I can deal with not having the backing from strangers on the www.
    Worked for a tradesperson myself for a few years and if he wouldn't show up and we'd get a call about it, he would have gotten hell from us in the office.

the problem is that both side of this debate have a very one sided view. myself included. I don't remember the last time I hired a tradesman that I didn't know at my house. I don't have experience cold calling them.
    the customer only sees the few hours your there at their house and the tradesmen see it from their side .
    I always try to show the other side if I can

Which is understandable and I certainly know what's connected with it. I'm very forgiving in general but not showing up, not calling and ignoring calls isn't how you treat potential customers. I had to cold call because I moved to a new area, but hey, eventually it all gets together now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

LirW wrote: »
    only the 5th one came (and he came fast).

Is this like one of those videos on the internet?
    I always thought they were staged:D

Is this like one of those videos on the internet?
    I always thought they were staged:D

I really hope you high-fived yourself in front of the screen for this :pac:

Which is understandable and I certainly know what's connected with it. I'm very forgiving in general but not showing up, not calling and ignoring calls isn't how you treat potential customers. I had to cold call because I moved to a new area, but hey, eventually it all gets together now.
    I have to agree. That's inexcusable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

from living where I live OP, I have had to learn how to do a lot of things for myself.

I can service the car, fix a broken tumble drier, install a dishwasher, plaster work, lay a patio, fix a lawnmower, basic plumbing, tiling, laying floorboards etc.

Youtube is your friend!

I need the big work done professionally because of the certs.

Minor issues I can actually fix on my own, like broken appliances, plastering and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

TallGlass wrote: »
    Same!

Guess the recession is over, they don't need any odd jobs on the side!

Hmm maybe its time to buy a van and start a handyman business
    Sounds like bad times are over

Do they factor their breakfast rolls in when they quote?

I wonder how many customers that complain about tradesmen not ringing them back actually ring back a tradesman to tell them they won't be going with their quote.
    It works both ways

Absolutely.
    from living where I live OP, I have had to learn how to do a lot of things for myself.

I can service the car, fix a broken tumble drier, install a dishwasher, plaster work, lay a patio, fix a lawnmower, basic plumbing, tiling, laying floorboards etc.

Youtube is your friend!

Youtube is priceless for things like this.

I had a problem with a water pump a few years back - my mates cousin was a plumber so I figure can't go too far wrong seeing as I know him.
    He comes out and gives me a quote, pump is fúcked he says, it's normally nearly a grand for a new pump, he can do it for €700.

I hadn't got the money so I youtubed it, to see how handy it is to replace myself - I ended up fixing it for something like €60, didn't need replacing at all, just a new circuit board.

There are chancers in all walks of life OP! The more you can learn yourself the less likely you'll be to get fleeced by some charlatan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Had nothing but crap, dealing with tradespeople.

To the point now where I just cant face the effort of trying to find someone to get jobs done and its less grief to just leave the issues in situ until I get time to have a go myself.

Its like they just don't want the job or the money. I cant understand it really.

I'd estimate I've hired 10 different people over the last 3 years. Only the carpet fitter did what they said they were going to do, when they said they would do it , and for the agreed price.

Most of the other 9 or so came recommended locally.

The ones that did show and were hired...Shortcuts taken, things left broken/scratched/damaged, 'tree surgeon' was going to throw all the tree bits into next doors garden, electrician did what we agreed but also fecked up the electrics in another room. Painter got more paint on the light switches and windows than the walls. Plumber didn't install the taps straight and cracked a tile....and so on.

Is there a 'rate my tradesperson' type site ?
    May be useful.

Absolutely.

Youtube is your friend!

I had a problem with a water pump a few years back - my mates cousin was a plumber so I figure can't go too far wrong seeing as I know him.
    He comes out and gives me a quote, pump is fúcked he says, it's normally nearly a grand for a new pump, he can do it for €700.

I hadn't got the money so I youtubed it, to see how handy it is to replace myself - I ended up fixing it for something like €60, didn't need replacing at all, just a new circuit board.

There are chancers in all walks of life OP! The more you can learn yourself the less likely you'll be to get fleeced by some charlatan.
    That's outrageous. Prices
    How much is that pump new

On the other side of that. You spent 60 on a new board. Most plumbers wouldn't be trained, certified it insured to go fiddling with the internals of these kinds of things.
    Much less complication s by just changing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

Same boat at the moment, need a small plumbing job maybe a couple of hours work. Near impossible to get anyone to do it, not very concerned about the price but most plumbers won’t even entertain the idea of doing it.
    We gave a number of trades people locally plenty of work during the quiet times when they were falling over themselves to do even the smallest of jobs now things have picked up again they will hardly answer the phone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Pretty much all work we've had done was by eastern europeans. Cheaper, better quality, more reliable.

Same as my teeth....:-)

englander wrote: »
    Had nothing but crap, dealing with tradespeople.

To the point now where I just cant face the effort of trying to find someone to get jobs done and its less grief to just leave the issues in situ until I get time to have a go myself.

Its like they just don't want the job or the money. I cant understand it really.

I'd estimate I've hired 10 different people over the last 3 years. Only the carpet fitter did what they said they were going to do, when they said they would do it , and for the agreed price.

Most of the other 9 or so came recommended locally.

The ones that did show and were hired...Shortcuts taken, things left broken/scratched/damaged, 'tree surgeon' was going to throw all the tree bits into next doors garden, electrician did what we agreed but also fecked up the electrics in another room. Painter got more paint on the light switches and windows than the walls. Plumber didn't install the taps straight and cracked a tile....and so on.

Is there a 'rate my tradesperson' type site ?
    May be useful.

onlinetradesmen is actually quite helpful. But I agree, a Yelp for tradesmen would be amazing.

Lots of things can be fixed but for a rewiring or installing a heating system you need someone who knows how to do it because it can be potentially dangerous.
    Or you can do it like the guy who lived here before of course, throw the oil tank and boiler out and hook up a boiler stove to the plumbing for oil heating that heats f all.

The chimney sweep that was here told me he had a look in his books and he was here about 7 - 8 years ago where the guy just hooked up the stove. He asked him if he's in his right mind and simply blacklisted that house because he's not going to put up with that maniac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

I'd say some of the problem is that someone who can use a paintbrush is called a painter but might not actually a painter by trade with full apprenticeship completed, people considering "a handyman" a tradesperson or someone who did a nightcourse in some skill then considers themselves as skilled as somebody who trained for 4 or more years resulting in shoody work and giving real trades a bad name. Some bad tradespeople as well like any other job.

On the other side of that. You spent 60 on a new board. Most plumbers wouldn't be trained, certified it insured to go fiddling with the internals of these kinds of things.

The pumps are expensive, I think it was 600ish at the time (5 or 6 years ago)

The circuit board was a piece of cake to replace - I've no experience of anything like that and I done it in a half an hour and it's been working ever since!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Of course we have become a throw away society, so we are losing the ability to fix things for ourselves.

Its quicker to throw it away, rather than fix it. Consequently the customer pays big for the replacement.

Remember how our parents were, seamstresses,cooks, gardeners,cobblers,ect,ect. Are we now as efficient.
    Some of us might be

Most of us are losing these hand eye skills. And once gone, you wont find anywhere or anybody to learn them from.

Look at the modern car, and mechanics trained on them. Laptop mechanics. Even car dealerships wont fix an engine that needs rebuilding.

But your friendly east european will be glad to.
    Thankfully I do all my own, plumbing,wiring , mechanics,painting decorating,carpentry, joinery,house maintainence, and on and on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

The worst ones were the plumbers. I called 4 and all of them were no-shows and didn't bother picking up the phone afterwards and only the 5th one came

Consider it a test performed. The first four have failed most miserably, blacklist them. The fifth one has passed, you can feed him bigger jobs from here on.

I would never give a large job to a tradesperson unless he has done one or two small jobs first and has done them well.

Carbon125 wrote: »
    Consider it a test performed. The first four have failed most miserably, blacklist them. The fifth one has passed, you can feed him bigger jobs from here on.

I would never give a large job to a tradesperson unless he has done one or two small jobs first and has done them well.

Have to unfortunately, first Home in an area where we don't know the tradespeople.
    All you can do is go with your guts, check references and ask them stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the general public don't see the behind the scenes scheduling that goes on
    its very hard to nail down a start day
    you have job over runs
    delays on site from other trades not being ready
    customers wanting more stuff done, 'while your here'
    materials not turning up on time
    weather
    job cancelations at the last minute . (trying to squash in the only flexible job into too small a timeframe just so you have work that week)
    some of us are even lucky enough to have lives outside our jobs
    going to accountants and banks etc eats up time

there are lots of genuine reasons why we are unreliable. that's a consequence of the job.

grand.

how's about a phone call to explain why you might not meet your commitments?

are there genuine reason for not bothering with that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

you have job over runs
    weather
    job cancelations at the last minute . (trying to squash in the only flexible job into too small a timeframe just so you have work that week)

there are lots of genuine reasons why we are unreliable. that's a consequence of the job.

They're all great excuses. There is no excuse for promising to be somewhere and not ringing to say you won't be there. None.

Have to unfortunately, first Home in an area where we don't know the tradespeople.
    All you can do is go with your guts, check references and ask them stupid.

Also ask your neighbours.

I wonder how many customers that complain about tradesmen not ringing them back actually ring back a tradesman to tell them they won't be going with their quote.
    It works both ways

That's not a fair comparison. A fair comparison would be if the customer told the tradesmen to go ahead and then wasn't in or wouldn't answer the door or the phone. And you know what a tradesman would do in that case? Charge the customer for their time which they should do. Perhaps it should work the other way around and the customer can charge you for every time they've taken time off work to wait for you?

pilly wrote: »
    you have job over runs
    weather

They're all great excuses. There is no excuse for promising to be somewhere and not ringing to say you won't be there. None.
    I agree entirely
    A phone call is a must

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Absolutely.

I had a blown relay on the circuit board on the central electronics module in my car, which meant one of my headlights was not working. After being turned away by 3 or 4 local garages, I was quoted £500 from a Volvo dealer in the North for a new board... so I posted the problem on a Volvo owners forum. After reading some replies and a bit more searching online, I managed to source a new relay in Dublin for €1.50 a pop, and I replaced the old relay on the circuit board myself, using an electric wood engraver I bought in Lidl as a soldering iron.

All you need is peace and quiet, confidence and a bit of dexterity (and make sure nothing is live!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Since moving here 18 months ago I have reached the conclusion that Irish tradesmen are just as unreliable and infuriating as British tradesmen, but in a different way. A British tradesman will generally turn up on time as promised but if they don't fancy the job they will quote a stupid price. Whereas the Irish tradesman won't even bother turning up. I'm not quite sure which is worse to be honest. They must all be raking it in if they can afford to turn down work.

Also ask your neighbours.

I did, the first plumber they recommended showed up and was a total messer and really unreliable unfortunately.

I did, the first plumber they recommended showed up and was a total messer and really unreliable unfortunately.

I feel your pain, I moved into a rural area 2 years ago and since then have had 5 fellas out to fix my heating, after the 4th fella I did some research myself, worked out what was wrong and TOLD the 5th fella what had to be replaced. He replaced it and hey presto, no problems since.

As for plumbers, the toilet in the main bathroom has never worked correctly so I've given up looking and just use the en suite in the other bedroom. When visitors come I have to warn them not to use it. I need an Out of Order sign. :)

In the end it's a hit and miss and if you find someone good you need to keep it as your precious secret, be worse then feckin Gollum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭The Ging and I

Pretty much all work we've had done was by eastern europeans. Cheaper, better quality, more reliable.

++1 !

kadman wrote: »
    Of course we have become a throw away society, so we are losing the ability to fix things for ourselves.

Its quicker to throw it away, rather than fix it. Consequently the customer pays big for the replacement.

Remember how our parents were, seamstresses,cooks, gardeners,cobblers,ect,ect. Are we now as efficient.
    Some of us might be

Most of us are losing these hand eye skills. And once gone, you wont find anywhere or anybody to learn them from.

Look at the modern car, and mechanics trained on them. Laptop mechanics. Even car dealerships wont fix an engine that needs rebuilding.

But your friendly east european will be glad to.
    Thankfully I do all my own, plumbing,wiring , mechanics,painting decorating,carpentry, joinery,house maintainence, and on and on.

its a shame. most things can be fixed if the know how to fix it is there and the parts are available. both are not and are becoming rarer as the years pass

The pumps are expensive, I think it was 600ish at the time (5 or 6 years ago)

The circuit board was a piece of cake to replace - I've no experience of anything like that and I done it in a half an hour and it's been working ever since!

so his price was fairly accurate for changing the pump. ok
    shame we cant get these things fixed

I feel your pain, I moved into a rural area 2 years ago and since then have had 5 fellas out to fix my heating, after the 4th fella I did some research myself, worked out what was wrong and TOLD the 5th fella what had to be replaced. He replaced it and hey presto, no problems since.

As for plumbers, the toilet in the main bathroom has never worked correctly so I've given up looking and just use the en suite in the other bedroom. When visitors come I have to warn them not to use it. I need an Out of Order sign. :)

the problem there is that a lot of modern plumbers are only used to installing new systems .
    we had several lads look at a heating system in a house over the years. each one rearranged and changed parts . they all were genuinely trying to fix it but couldn't.
    eventually I met a great plumber who loved solving problems like that and thrived on it. he came , tore all the changes out and reconnected it properly. he fixed it perfectly. he was an oldish guy that seen all these problems over the years and saw the issue fairly quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

They say "anyone who puts their hand out gets greedy after a while"

Tradesmen especially. If you are used to quoting someone 150 for a certain job and it's a decent price well... you'd love it if you got 200, what about 250? Why not 300? And that's when you start quoting more and more. It's a bit of a buzz to get more for the same amount of work provided.

Thing is tho most then get the mentality of I ain't doing that for anything less than X amount. Hence the expression "I wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than..."

Othertimes if you quote someone and say you'll be out in Friday... That's "to be confirmed" sort of thing. I'll be out on Friday if I don't get another call offering more money. That's business. But it's also good business to ring someone and rearrange. A lot of Tradesmen can't seem to grasp it.

Tradesmen especially. If you are used to quoting someone 150 for a certain job and it's a decent price well... you'd love it if you got 200, what about 250? Why not 300? And that's when you start quoting more and more. It's a bit of a buzz to get more for the same amount of work provided.

Thing is tho most then get the mentality of I ain't doing that for anything less than X amount. Hence the expression "I wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than..."

Othertimes if you quote someone and say you'll be out in Friday... That's "to be confirmed" sort of thing. I'll be out on Friday if I don't get another call offering more money. That's business. But it's also good business to ring someone and rearrange. A lot of Tradesmen can't seem to grasp it.

the same is often true on the other side.
    price is agreed, then is while your here could you. I don't mind a few minutes here and there if the person is genuine and honest. but most while your here are a half an hour to an hour. it might only be a shelf etc but these take time and materials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Sir ,
    As a tradesman myself ,I'd like to know the origin of the quote in your first paragraph ? And who is "they"?

It's sounds like you pulled it from your hole.

price is agreed, then is while your here could you. I don't mind a few minutes here and there if the person is genuine and honest. but most while your here are a half an hour to an hour. it might only be a shelf etc but these take time and materials

True. Has to be said things go both ways.

Ahh let's be honest everyone is out for themselves. A tradesmen would gladly charge 500 euro for changing a tap. A person would gladly pay a tradesmen 5 euro for changing a tap.

Life I guess.

True. Has to be said things go both ways.

Ahh let's be honest everyone is out for themselves. A tradesmen would gladly charge 500 euro for changing a tap. A person would gladly pay a tradesmen 5 euro for changing a tap.

Life I guess.
    I think that there is good and bad on both side. We each only really see our own side

Sir ,
    As a tradesman myself ,I'd like to know the origin of the quote in your first paragraph ? And who is "they"?

I agree . And those that have to put their hand in this pocket get very stingy

• Advertisement

Sir ,

Heard it many times from many people in my life. Didn't pull it from my hole.

But touched a sore subject with you by what I said didn't I ;)
    Here's another saying you may have heard... The truth hurts ;)

Ps
    I love how you wrote your post. Started with "sir" real prim and proper. Then ended with out of your hole :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Alicano

the problem stems from not being a business person. we are all trained in the trade, (carpenter,plumber etc) but not in running a business and how to organise it properly.
    I agree with you but its very hard trying to juggle everything. you cant please everyone .

now not ringing if you cant make it etc is just rude and inconsiderate

Then hire someone!!! Even a Niece or Nephew? At least you admit that you don't get training in business. But how hard is it to even answer the phone saying your name and the company? Answer an email? I am so sick in the face dealing(or lack of dealing) with one company after another. I no longer care for anything on a website. Sure everyone's "The highest quality".. "Best of service" etc etc.. Testimonials too. Complete bull. Have yet to actually meet someone who has backed up what they advertise.
    Apart from yes, you've guessed it, an Eastern/Central European chap. Turned up. Knew what the issues were. Emailed a quote the following day. Also offered to take a look at other jobs I need. Very eager and confident. Now he hasn't got the job yet. But he'll be getting it on the principle of turning up and actually quoting. This example applies to rising damp works in my case. Would love if there was a website to name and rate a company or tradesman. Maybe then the service and quality levels would improve. No regulation for it either. Seems to be ok to be crap/substandard/uninterested at what you do? Imagine if every industry worked like that?
    Sorry for the rant. Just in a real phase of frustration trying to get my home 'habitable'.
    I am sure there are great workers. I just can't seem to meet one :)

Alicano wrote: »
    Then hire someone!!! Even a Niece or Nephew? At least you admit that you don't get training in business. But how hard is it to even answer the phone saying your name and the company? Answer an email? I am so sick in the face dealing(or lack of dealing) with one company after another. I no longer care for anything on a website. Sure everyone's "The highest quality".. "Best of service" etc etc.. Testimonials too. Complete bull. Have yet to actually meet someone who has backed up what they advertise.
    Apart from yes, you've guessed it, an Eastern/Central European chap. Turned up. Knew what the issues were. Emailed a quote the following day. Also offered to take a look at other jobs I need. Very eager and confident. Now he hasn't got the job yet. But he'll be getting it on the principle of turning up and actually quoting. This example applies to rising damp works in my case. Would love if there was a website to name and rate a company or tradesman. Maybe then the service and quality levels would improve. No regulation for it either. Seems to be ok to be crap/substandard/uninterested at what you do? Imagine if every industry worked like that?
    Sorry for the rant. Just in a real phase of frustration trying to get my home 'habitable'.
    I am sure there are great workers. I just can't seem to meet one :)

I don't think a guy working for himself could afford to employ someone that isn't making money directly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I don't think a guy working for himself could afford to employ someone that isn't making money directly

In fairness every phone nowadays has an answering machine.

Hi, ====== here, please leave your name and number and a short message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Now, here's the kicker !! Actually call back, even if its only to say sorry I'm too busy at the moment. How hard is that ??? It seems, its very hard indeed, if not impossible :confused::mad:

Ps. Not getting at you personally, just a pet peeve of mine when people don't return a message, not immediately, but certainly within 48 hours :-)

It really makes such a difference when you have a job that is really lucrative.
    Needed my toilet fixed: It was a struggle finding someone to show up, the 6th one did.

Telling them you need the plumbing in the house upgraded, so basically everything done: Suddenly got treated like a queen and one guy was even driving 80 km to give me a quote for it. I also got a few apologies for not being able to take the work on and recommendations on where to try.
    At least it's something that's worth their time I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement