Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does a firearms become antique legally here?

Options
  • 13-09-2017 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

the justice.ie website the has this
    "Antique firearms are exempt from the provisions of the Firearms Acts provided they are held as ornaments or curiosities. More information on this can be found in the firearms licensing guidelines on the Garda website. If you intend to buy one from abroad you should obtain an importation licence from this Department before bringing it into the country.

Modern reproductions of antique firearms are not exempt from firearms legislation. You may wish to buy an old (but not antique) firearm, or one which is valuable because of its historical significance or as an investment. These firearms require a firearms certificate and you should apply in the normal way"

Ive been looking through the firearms acts etc but i cant find a year when a firearm becomes an antique is it fair game for anything decently old that you cant fire e.g obsolete calibers(like .44 henry flat etc...) and muzzleloaders? or just that you wont fire it?
    I was looking through this as i was thinking about getting and antique gun for putting up above the mantlepiece does anyone know how this would be done (deacts are out with new eu deact laws)
    Or am i missing something which changed all this in the various acts??

Comments

Advertisement