Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace or repair chainrings

Options
  • 13-09-2017 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Im having a lot of problems with the chain slipping between sprockets, slippage and had the bike in 2 shops.
    First guy replaced gear cables this did'nt help and second shop adjusted the front derailer, again no improvement. I noticed that the sprockets were wobbling and the gap was uneven so went back to the shop and was told I need new chainrings, chain and cassette.
    Would I be able to replace the chainring with a 1 pce unit and not the 3 rings I have at the minute, 48-38-26
    This is an old specialized rockhopper and not really worth the repair bill of €150 I'm being quoted.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you seem to have a nut and bolt holding it together at one point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

FMG wrote: »
    Im having a lot of problems with the chain slipping between sprockets, slippage and had the bike in 2 shops.
    First guy replaced gear cables this did'nt help and second shop adjusted the front derailer, again no improvement. I noticed that the sprockets were wobbling and the gap was uneven so went back to the shop and was told I need new chainrings, chain and cassette.
    Would I be able to replace the chainring with a 1 pce unit and not the 3 rings I have at the minute, 48-38-26
    This is an old specialized rockhopper and not really worth the repair bill of €150 I'm being quoted.

Yup just buy a 1x chainring. You'll need to check the BCD first and you'll need a new set of bolts as well. Should get all parts for about 50 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

OP: When you say 'chain slipping between sprockets' and 'sprockets are wobbling', you are referring to the front sprockets (chainrings) right?

If so, then it may be because one of your chainring bolts has been replaced with an ordinary nut & bolt (top left in the pic) and that may have worked loose over time causing the chainrings to become loose and start to wobble.

There is no need to replace the chainset - just replace that nut and bolt with a proper chainring bolt and check the tightness of the other three whilst you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

as before check that that rings are tight. It looks like a fairly standard steel chainset, a replacement such as

https://www.rosebikes.com/article/shimano-acera-fc-m361-crankset-48-38-28-teeth/aid:667946

shouldn't cost much more than E40, say E50 fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Thanks guys, MB yes there is a nut and bolt there. I bought a Crank puller and managed to tighten the other 3 allen bolts and I will replace this as soon as.
    Thanks for letting me know I can buy the 1 x chainring Gerry at least I have an option to the €150 in LBS.
    I did as you suggested MP31 and tightened up the 3 allen bolts ( will replace N&B) but there is a definite kink in the chainrings as if they were bent slightly.
    Al Wright thank you I'll check that out, should be a big help.
    I bought this on DD and to be honest dont know enough to be able to spot a bad bike lol.
    What a great forum, at least I might have some hope of keeping it on the road now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks guys, MB yes there is a nut and bolt there. I bought a Crank puller and managed to tighten the other 3 allen bolts and I will replace this as soon as.
    Thanks for letting me know I can buy the 1 x chainring Gerry at least I have an option to the €150 in LBS.
    I did as you suggested MP31 and tightened up the 3 allen bolts ( will replace N&B) but there is a definite kink in the chainrings as if they were bent slightly.
    Al Wright thank you I'll check that out, should be a big help.
    I bought this on DD and to be honest dont know enough to be able to spot a bad bike lol.
    What a great forum, at least I might have some hope of keeping it on the road now.

If you try spacycles in UK with parcel motel, you get a crankset, chain and cassette for about €70.

If the crankset is that rough so is rest of drivetrain. Changing one chainring is messing given state of it

You'll just need a chain tool if you already have crank tool

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

but there is a definite kink in the chainrings as if they were bent slightly.

This probably happened because of the nut and bolt, it would not be as tight as the chainring bolts and as you push down in certain positions, the rings would move against the bold and eventually bend. Happened to me, be careful if they are kinked or bent that they do not snap on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Thanks Ford, that is a great help . It would be a great deal compared to local if it works out, i'll have a look.
    I was about to try and tap around with a light hammer and screwdriver :), never thought about weakening the metal to breaking while under pressure. Thank you Cramcycle.

Advertisement