Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to run on grass

• 13-09-2017 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

I'm just trying to tap in to some local knowledge. I run a good bit but I'm trying to replace a good bit of running on roads with running on grass to save the legs. Options look to be limited to places where there is a number of sports pitches together such as UL or Mungret which means the laps are 1 km to 1 mile in length.

Would anyone know of anywhere within 15/20 minutes drive of the city where there would be larger laps to run?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Also Mary I in city centre.

I would normally head to Cratloe Woods. Its not specifically grass but its trail running so soft on joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Banks of the tailrace, ardnacrusha to clonlara and back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's a large enough pitch by Mulcair road in Raheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

panda100 wrote: »
    Also Mary I in city centre.

I would normally head to Cratloe Woods. Its not specifically grass but its trail running so soft on joints.

Thanks! Mary I is just one pitch though I think?

Agree about Cratloe Woods, but I should have mentioned I'm trying to stay away from hills as well! :)

Limerick91 wrote: »

Thanks! I've been meaning to give that a go. Do you run it much? is it even/ uneven? Much sheepsh!t? Does it get very soft underfoot?

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    There's a large enough pitch by Mulcair road in Raheen.

Is it just one pitch? I had a look there on Google Maps and it looks like just a pitch on its own.

I guess I'm looking at something along the lines of an abandoned golf course or race course, that wouldn't be in bad condition for running. Or really just a large flattish area of soft ground that the public can access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Croom Park is like a huge oval.

Tarmac path for walkers and cyclists

Grass everywhere else.

I'm rubbish at distances, but I'd say each lap would be about 2km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Shelbourbe Park?

You could run the edges of both football pitches, rather than the path itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Thanks! I've been meaning to give that a go. Do you run it much? is it even/ uneven? Much sheepsh!t? Does it get very soft underfoot?

I've done it lots over the years. Yeah, there's plenty of sheep**** there. Are you planning on running barefoot?

It's very even and doesn't get too soft underfoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

Hey! Curraghchase or Lough Gur might be a good option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Limerick91 wrote: »

Is there an option to run on passed Clonlara along the bank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Is there an option to run on passed Clonlara along the bank?

Yep, you can keep going all the way to O'Brien's Bridge (on the eastern bank for sure, but I think you can go on the western bank too) and beyond. As far as I know the ESB have to regularly inspect the banks for leaks so that means that they'll be walkable / runnable all the way to where the head race meets the original course of the Shannon River at Parteen Weir (not to be confused with Parteen Village which is many kilometres back down the canal towards Limerick City).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Is it just one pitch? I had a look there on Google Maps and it looks like just a pitch on its own.

I guess I'm looking at something along the lines of an abandoned golf course or race course, that wouldn't be in bad condition for running. Or really just a large flattish area of soft ground that the public can access.

Yep - they've had the community games there for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Mary I is where I usually go, it's a lot of laps but I prefer the grass to road.

Is UL the best spot in Castletroy? Any other small pitches out that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Ul pitches would be a two km run

Advertisement