Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What about the rest of the country

Options
  • 13-09-2017 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

So outside of Dublin (and its surrounding counties), Galway city and Cork city how do people feel things will go in the rest of the country over the next year? everything on the property market thread seems to be about Dublin.

Has the Dublin v rural gap ever been wider? and will the gap increase or decrease?

I'm thinking of selling a house in west Cork and have lately been talking to a number of people who keep a close eye on property prices and most think that outside of the big urban centers a significant jump over the next year or two is on the cards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I think it really depends on where in the country you're talking about. The midlands for example are still a pretty weak market in comparison to the eastern counties.
    In the end nobody can tell really what's going to happen but the outlook isn't too bad. If your property is situated well then your chances might be good getting a reasonable price.

Rural Ireland seems to have a few "problems": Houses can sit on the market for a long time due to lower demand and people tend to overestimate the value of their properties. These two factors can drag a the process out for a very long time. I think it's important to be realistic and get a good valuation if you want to get rid of the house fast.
    In the village I'm living in there are a few houses on the market for a long time that are way too expensive.
    Everything over 200k here will take you a good while to sell. But that is a very regional thing, prices 20 km further away are entirely different because it's the outskirts of a bigger town.

It seems like the cities dictate price rises and that slowly expands all over the country, first the commuter belt, then towns further out until you can see the trend all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

A 1/2 bed apartment in good location in Galway/Cork city is about the same price as Dublin.

Albeit slightly larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

LirW wrote: »
    I

It seems like the cities dictate price rises and that slowly expands all over the country, first the commuter belt, then towns further out until you can see the trend all over the country.
    Is this how it has gone in the past? maybe the wages and subsequent borrowing just aren't there?
    All over this part of the country (Cork Kerry Limerick) there seems to be a growing expectation that prices are going to really take off. I'm in no rush to sell but a few people have said to me more or less the same thing " nobody can be sure what will happen but at this point its worth waiting 6mths".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Taylor365 wrote: »
    A 1/2 bed apartment in good location in Galway/Cork city is about the same price as Dublin.

Albeit slightly larger.

Depends on location- but its far from unusual for a 1-2 bed apartment in either Galway city or Cork city- to be more expensive than a commensurate unit in Dublin city centre. They also tend to be anything up to 25% larger in floor area than their Dublin opposites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

a few people have said to me more or less the same thing " nobody can be sure what will happen but at this point its worth waiting 6mths".

A few people? A few people think the end of the world is coming. A few people think an economic collapse is around the corner. Just because a few people say something doesn't mean it is going to happen. In some parts of the South-West the demand for holiday homes is the key driver of prices. That depends on economic conditions elsewhere. Outside of the urban and holiday areas, it is all commuter led.

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »
    A few people? A few people think the end of the world is coming. A few people think an economic collapse is around the corner. Just because a few people say something doesn't mean it is going to happen. .
    To be clear "a few" that was more a continuation of my opening post. The only people I've talked to about selling are those who have made good calls in the past and keep a close eye on prices /trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

LirW wrote: »
    I think it really depends on where in the country you're talking about. The midlands for example are still a pretty weak market in comparison to the eastern counties.
    In the end nobody can tell really what's going to happen but the outlook isn't too bad. If your property is situated well then your chances might be good getting a reasonable price.

Rural Ireland seems to have a few "problems": Houses can sit on the market for a long time due to lower demand and people tend to overestimate the value of their properties. These two factors can drag a the process out for a very long time. I think it's important to be realistic and get a good valuation if you want to get rid of the house fast.
    In the village I'm living in there are a few houses on the market for a long time that are way too expensive.
    Everything over 200k here will take you a good while to sell. But that is a very regional thing, prices 20 km further away are entirely different because it's the outskirts of a bigger town.

I live in the Midlands and I can tell you its not a weak market at present, houses are literally flying off the shelves!

House below 200K in somewhat decent condition are next to non-existant, and the speed of sale is shocking. where I live I have noticed a massive increase in Dublin accents in the last 12 months, having chatted to a new guy from Rugby his option was but a small flat in Crumlin for 195K or buy a house here for 180K with 3 bed, and spend an hour on the train

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/76-rosehill-newport-tipperary/3935108

Nice village its got two secondary schools 17 kilometres from Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I live in Leitrim - very rural small town but also here houses are starting to sell quite fast.The prices are way lower than in any of the central cities but they are selling well.

I see some 4 bed semi-detached (1300/1400 sq ft) houses sold for around €300,000 in place like Kinsale, Killarney, Clonakilty Adare

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I see some 4 bed semi-detached (1300/1400 sq ft) houses sold for around €300,000 in place like Kinsale, Killarney, Clonakilty Adare

Prices seem a bit aspirational? Perhaps I'm wrong- but you'll get 3-4 bed semis in West Dublin and North Kildare for these type prices- and with the best of will in the world- these areas, while they're lovely in their own right- are hardly as in demand as West Dublin/North Kildare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Prices seem a bit aspirational? Perhaps I'm wrong- but you'll get 3-4 bed semis in West Dublin and North Kildare for these type prices- and with the best of will in the world- these areas, while they're lovely in their own right- are hardly as in demand as West Dublin/North Kildare?

All of those four towns/villages are outliers

Kinsale has a large tourist industry and is also a prime commuter for Cork City.

Killarney; the economy is almost entirely tourist driven; even in recession the need for beds puts a floor on price. Tralee is adjacent, similar size but without checking I'd say way cheaper

Clonakilty, not in same league as other two and very quite off season it is main hub in West Cork and picks up a lot of tourist trade. Also in commuting distance of Cork City. You want cheap in West Cork try Drimoleague or Dunmanway

Adare has two decent hotels, gets a load of weddings/yanks and people find it cute/charming.. Also very close proximity for commuting; you'll pay a premium over adjacent areas like Croom/Patrickswell etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

These towns would be among the highest priced/desirable in Munster outside of the cities/suburbs. This would be a more typical example of what's available in your average country town
    http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/charleville/35-holy-cross-charleville-cork-1468405/

GoneHome wrote: »
    These towns would be among the highest priced/desirable in Munster outside of the cities/suburbs. This would be a more typical example of what's available in your average country town
    http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/charleville/35-holy-cross-charleville-cork-1468405/
    :pac::pac::pac: you've gone way over the other side

Prices seem a bit aspirational?
    This is what they are coming up on register as, I'll try go through more later but I'm seeing:
    exclusive A1 newly built 4 beds very well finished coming in at 410k to 500k (these aren't one off's they're in a development)

5-10 year old, well finished 4 beds ber C/D 290k to 325k(again these are in an estate but when you move out from the center 7or 8km the prices drop 40k )

4 bedroom Houses built during or before the boom with poor or old style interior are going for about 240k to 265k.
    Maybe things aren't all that bad in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

What about west cork . Looking at a house in ballydehob. Seems shocking dear for a small 3 bed one bathroom bungalow = 285k - nothing like that amount on property price registers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jack53 wrote: »
    What about west cork . Looking at a house in ballydehob. Seems shocking dear for a small 3 bed one bathroom bungalow = 285k - nothing like that amount on property price registers

Location. Compare with other places in West Cork. B'dehob, Schull, Goleen are all very costly places,

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I just enquired about a new estate in Kinsale currently under construction. It's going to have 12 houses, river view (so not the highly sought after harbour view) and prices starting from 1.3 million. Starting from!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Sesame wrote: »
    I just enquired about a new estate in Kinsale currently under construction. It's going to have 12 houses, river view (so not the highly sought after harbour view) and prices starting from 1.3 million. Starting from!!
    Get in quick before the prices go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Selling prices have gone up very sharply on the UL side of Limerick since 2016, much more than Dublin in the same period, and the supply has shrunk. Rents have gone up sharply too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is Ireland starting to mirror the UK in terms of property prices?

Dublin = London
    Galway = Manchester

Everywhere else relatively cheap to buy property when compare to these 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is Ireland starting to mirror the UK in terms of property prices?

Dublin = London
    Galway = Manchester

Everywhere else relatively cheap to buy property when compare to these 2?

No way:

Cork = Manchester

Galway = Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

lcwill wrote: »
    No way:

Cork = Manchester

Galway = Liverpool

OK

But Dublin definitely is London.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

NIMAN wrote: »