Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Plus causing hand pain... a PSA & my options

Options
  • 13-09-2017 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice (and maybe my experience might be useful for someone else as a PSA)

Basically, I suffer from repetitive strain injury from years of computer work, but have had it under control for the last couple of years. Unfortunately, since buying an iPhone Plus a few months ago, the problems in my right hand have escalated terribly. This will clearly not be a problem for most people, but something for others with a propensity for RSI pain to watch out for. I never had a problem with regular iphones.

I'm now stuck in a two year contract and don't particularly want to shell out for a brand new iphone. I'm seriously considering the SE and was wondering where would be best place to buy one? Are refurbs a valid option? And crucially, are prices likely to drop over the coming week as we wait for the arrival of the new iphone in stores?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice (and maybe my experience might be useful for someone else as a PSA)

Basically, I suffer from repetitive strain injury from years of computer work, but have had it under control for the last couple of years. Unfortunately, since buying an iPhone Plus a few months ago, the problems in my right hand have escalated terribly. This will clearly not be a problem for most people, but something for others with a propensity for RSI pain to watch out for. I never had a problem with regular iphones.

I'm now stuck in a two year contract and don't particularly want to shell out for a brand new iphone. I'm seriously considering the SE and was wondering where would be best place to buy one? Are refurbs a valid option? And crucially, are prices likely to drop over the coming week as we wait for the arrival of the new iphone in stores?

Any help much appreciated.

Argos have 32gb SE for €369. That’s a good bit cheaper than directly from Apple. There are rumours about a replacement for the SE, but they’re only rumours, and I’d guess if it does get a facelift it could be next spring before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was told to stop using the plus by a physio incidentally. Three years of finger gymnastics with pluses, coupled with computer elbow is a bad combination. Was seriously painful for a while. Part of the reason I'm thinking of switching to an 8. Don't think I could do with the SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pbo_massive

Thanks waynegalway and Oafley Jones. That's interesting your physio said that, makes me think I need to not worry about cost and put my health first. Just wondering why you couldn't make do with the SE, obviously the 8 will be faster etc, but I was wondering why the SE would be completely disqualified for you... Makes me wonder if I'm being penny wise in even considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Thanks waynegalway and Oafley Jones. That's interesting your physio said that, makes me think I need to not worry about cost and put my health first. Just wondering why you couldn't make do with the SE, obviously the 8 will be faster etc, but I was wondering why the SE would be completely disqualified for you... Makes me wonder if I'm being penny wise in even considering it.

It was the plus form factor that had me switch back to Apple, before that I had three years of 4.7 inch HTCs. Every time I tried the wife's iPhones in that period I couldn't even use them. I found the screen size borderline unusable. I don't think the last few years of 5.5 inch screens will help me adjust. The 8 is pretty much what I was used to before, if it's still a problem I'd have to move down. Golf elbow from larger phones is not an uncommon problem, the super large form factors seem to be the culprit from everything I've read.

Advertisement