Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads that need a cycle lane

Options
  • 13-09-2017 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

As the title.

Streets around Ireland that could do with a cycle lane.

Macken Street in Dublin, literally a free for all I have said it before but surprised there hasn't been a serious accident yet. Cars/Motorcycles/Cyclists do as they please. Needs a cycle lane and northbound in particular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Terenure Rd West (in bound)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

TallGlass wrote: »
    Macken Street in Dublin, literally a free for all I have said it before but surprised there hasn't been a serious accident yet. Cars/Motorcycles/Cyclists do as they please. Needs a cycle lane and northbound in particular.

Too narrow unfortunately - really needs it though, had two incidents on it yesterday. If they would do something with the cobbles on Clanwilliam Terrace it would be much more attractive to go all the way to the Liffey via Grand Canal dock

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Donnybrook outbound, the current joke of a dash white line is more of a hazard than anything else.

Lower baggot between lwr Pembroke street and Ely place needs a counter flow cycle path.
    That stretch needs it foot paths widen as people are constantly forced into the road as the path is literally 3ft wide in places
    But none of that will happen with our current councillors as most are very pro private car.

People got to start voting for councillors that are willing to improve the city for cyclist and pedestrians.

There are always comments here about the private car park owners in the city controlling traffic management around the city. But they can only do this because people are not voting for more pro cyclist councillors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

homer911 wrote: »
    Too narrow unfortunately - really needs it though, had two incidents on it yesterday. If they would do something with the cobbles on Clanwilliam Terrace it would be much more attractive to go all the way to the Liffey via Grand Canal dock

Remove parking from one side would make enough space on Macken st, businesses mightn't like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Feckofff wrote: »
    Donnybrook outbound, the current joke of a dash white line is more of a hazard than anything else.

Lower baggot between lwr Pembroke street and Ely place needs a counter flow cycle path.
    That stretch needs it foot paths widen as people are constantly forced into the road as the path is literally 3ft wide in places
    But none of that will happen with our current councillors as most are very pro private car.

People got to start voting for councillors that are willing to improve the city for cyclist and pedestrians.

There are always comments here about the private car park owners in the city controlling traffic management around the city. But they can only do this because people are not voting for more pro cyclist councillors etc
    A contra-flow bike lane? Why? It would take you to a junction which is already a basket case for motorists and pedestrians thanks to only two sets of pedestrian crossings and buses turning left onto Merrion Street, married with bad road markings and signage.

While I agree that the stretch could use a bike lane in the direction of the flow of traffic, I think what's needed more is enforcement of the double yellow lines on the stretch between the junction of Baggot Street and Merrion Street Upper and the junction at Toners. All day, and particularly at lunchtime, it seems to be lined with delivery trucks in spite of the double yellows. Widening of the footpaths would certainly make everyone's life a little easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eponymous wrote: »
    .... I think what's needed more is enforcement of the double yellow lines on the stretch between the junction of Baggot Street and Merrion Street Upper and the junction at Toners. All day, and particularly at lunchtime, it seems to be lined with delivery trucks in spite of the double yellows....
    If the trucks are loading/unloading, they have an exemption for a period of 30 minutes.

If the trucks are loading/unloading, they have an exemption for a period of 30 minutes.
    On double yellows?

On double yellows?
    Yup - how else would a business premises get delivery of goods if there was double yellow lines outside their premises?
    36 Prohibitions on Parking

36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;

See part (e) below.

5 Non-application of certain Prohibitions and Restrictions

5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

(2) Save where otherwise expressly provided in these Regulations, a prohibition on the entry of a vehicle to a road or an area or the prohibition on the stopping or parking of a vehicle imposed by these Regulations shall not apply to—

( a ) a vehicle used in connection with the removal of an obstruction to traffic;

( b ) a vehicle being used in connection with the carrying out of roadworks;

( c ) a fire brigade, an ambulance, or a vehicle being used by a member of the Garda Sh in performance of the duties of that member;

( d ) a vehicle which has been damaged or has broken down, during the period necessary to effect repairs to the vehicle or remove it from the location;

( e ) a prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36(2)(a) shall not apply to a vehicle parked while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

The Enniskerry road from Stepaside south to Enniskerry especially through the scalp and at the pinch point at Jamestown Cottages.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As the title.

Streets around Ireland that could do with a cycle lane.

homer911 wrote: »

There is loads of room, massive footpaths, parking , 2 lanes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

D'olier Street.

No idea how it could be done though, (apart from a separating island for the bus lane, dedicated cycle lane and removal of parking spaces) the amount of bus stops there makes that section really dangerous for cyclists.

Yup - how else would a business premises get delivery of goods if there was double yellow lines outside their premises?

See part (e) below.
    Wow.

It'd be better in that case to turn one lane into a loading bay and widen the remaining lane to incorporate a bike line (with the flow of traffic).

...It'd be better in that case to turn one lane into a loading bay....
    The problem with that is that the 'I just popped into the shop for a minute' brigade will probably park their cars there forcing delivery trucks to double park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The cobbles on Clanwilliam terrace are not the issue, it's that 2/3s of the street is given over to parking. Again allowing private vehicles take up public space is something that we should be doing away with now with some exceptions I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

A contra-flow bike lane? Why? It would take you to a junction which is already a basket case for motorists and pedestrians thanks to only two sets of pedestrian crossings and buses turning left onto Merrion Street, married with bad road markings and signage.

While I agree that the stretch could use a bike lane in the direction of the flow of traffic, I think what's needed more is enforcement of the double yellow lines on the stretch between the junction of Baggot Street and Merrion Street Upper and the junction at Toners. All day, and particularly at lunchtime, it seems to be lined with delivery trucks in spite of the double yellows. Widening of the footpaths would certainly make everyone's life a little easier.

The counter flow would allow access to Ely place and therefore easier access to st Stephen green (SSG) for cyclist coming from baggot street. The currently layout required cyclist to travel to lesson st to join SSG. Which is a substantial detour.
    If there's an easier route please let me know.

Why should there have to be an easier route? The route around from Pembroke St. to SSG is hardly substantial, less than 1km certainly. Personally, given the choice of that and negotiating a contra-flow along there, I'd either take the current route or dismount and walk the sub-200m to Ely Place.

Alternatively, turn off Baggot street at Fitzwilliam street, turn left to go up Fitzwilliam Lane, left again on Merrion St and straight on to Ely Place, probably about .5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

All of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Greystones -> Bray needs a climbing lane going up the hill. Particularly at the weekend you get lots of slow cyclists grinding up the hill while queues of cars try and squeeze past (often in the face of oncoming traffic). I hate cycling up it and not just because of the bloody hill. There is space if they removed the grass verge and it's listed as a route on the Dublin Cycling Plan. The other side of Windgates isn't as bad as the road is wider, but there's plenty of space for a climbing lane there too (except right at the top).

Yeah, I avoid Bray Head northbound on my bike for that very reason, and tend to avoid it at the weekends too if I'm driving. Shame, it's a nice climb, but just hate the close passes at the last portion where it really narrows (and happens to be the toughest bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

The Hard Shoulder!

All over the country, but especially N roads. Paving so poor that bikes have to travel on the main road, to avoid the potholes and detritus on the 2-meter wide strip that's nominally a great bike lane. Get the grit size right and the occasional sweeping, but especially pothole maintenance, and away we go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Loads of opportunities for contraflow on one way streets in towns and cities. Doesn't even need to be marked on the road. A sign on the end of the street would do the trick. Think this is done in places like Paris already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

check_six wrote: »
    Loads of opportunities for contraflow on one way streets in towns and cities. Doesn't even need to be marked on the road. A sign on the end of the street would do the trick. Think this is done in places like Paris already.

yes, a simple idea that would make getting around the city much easier. Do a safety audit to ensure there's space for cars and bikes to pass in opposite directions and put a warning sign at the end to warn drivers to expect cyclists coming against them. Other than that, keep left like normal. It wouldn't work on every street but the default should be to allow cycling in both directions unless it's unsafe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Between Portmarnock and Baldoyle in both directions. There is a cycle route planned for here, but god only knows when (if) it'll happen. That road is just ****e for cars overtaking. There is very little opportunity for cars to pass safely. Makes for frustrating and some dangerous passes.

check_six wrote: »
    Loads of opportunities for contraflow on one way streets in towns and cities. Doesn't even need to be marked on the road. A sign on the end of the street would do the trick....
    I doubt that a sign would do the trick. The counter-flow cycle track at the top of Capel Street is clearly marked on the road yet occasionally I get motorists aggressively gesturing that it's a one way. On one occasion a taxi driver drove into the track towards me forcing me to stop while he shouted about it being a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

All of gardiner street - has a broken lined one but needs a solid line imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Thought there were plans for a substantial two-way cyclepath on Westmoreland Street linking in to the short one at the Bank of Ireland but new road markings during the week seem to indicate no provision for cyclists whatsoever.

Nearby, Tara Street and Butt Bridge could do with some cycle lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Sundrive Road southbound; first a lane, then widened to a 2-way.

Donnybrook is a nightmare. Tis often I've stood at the traffic lights in the centre and had my nose practically knocked off my face by the buses and coaches speeding by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Roads that need a cycle lane: most of the roads that are too narrow to take one.

Roads that don't need a cycle lane: most of the the roads that are wide enough to take one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

By trucks and vans parking at the nearest safe and legal parking space and moving the goods by trolley or similar? Just like they do when the space outside their premises is busy.

It's really crazy that there is a 30 minute exemption on double-yellows. And it is frequently abused as just parking by commercial vehicles, and others.

But the exemption doesn't apply to mandatory bike lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

The N4 westward out of Palmerston over th M50 and past Liffey Valley.
    The in bound solution from Liffey Valley eastwards is adeqaute. Outbound is nerve racking and dangerous.
    This should be a priority for following reasons:
    1. Current solution is inadequate.
    2. Current road design is high risk : traffic merging from right and left with poor visibility
    3. The junction appears to suffer from regular traffic accidents atbthe M50 on and off ramps (judging by AARoadwatch twitterfeed).

It should be a requirement to build in a cycling solution to every junction design, most especially where they facilitate motors joining motorways.

Advertisement