Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A solution to the price increase

Options
  • 13-09-2017 11:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Norwegian Airlines, Apple aficionados if you like me face iBankruptcy from the latest iPhone X and its large price tag then fear not I have a solution. Why not buy a cheap Norwegian flight to the USA into Providence in the state of Rhode Island and make your way to the sales tax free state of New Hampshire and buy it there. Flights will cost in the region of €200 with carryon luggage only. Buy one or two iPhone X's for yourself and the wife, girlfriend etc. Take orders from the geeks in the office also. Plus you get a cool shopping trip to the US, rent a car for a day to travel up to New Hampshire and stock up on other expensive items like levi jeans etc.

You too can beat the system! All hail Norwegian airlines.

*The above is humour but sadly I did look into it.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You could get horribly busted for Irish taxes on the way through customs. Serious squeaky bum time on the trip back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Dades wrote: »
    You could get horribly busted for Irish taxes on the way through customs. Serious squeaky bum time on the trip back!

How far would they go to catch you out?

Disclaimer: I have no intention of going to the States to get a phone now or at any point in the future, and I am not suggesting that anyone should break any laws. But I'm just curious about how it might pan out.

I assume that if you're coming back through customs and they do a search, you could claim that you had the phone before you travelled (maybe just ditch the packaging and the US plug before the return flight)? Are they entitled to look for proof of purchase if you claim you bought it in Ireland before your holiday?

Obviously, if you have half a dozen of them, all still in their wrapper, you're screwed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yes, they can seize, pending proof of purchase. They also used to have access to serial numbers, I presume they still do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Obviously, if you have half a dozen of them, all still in their wrapper, you're screwed.
    Yeah - that's the scenario you don't want to be in.

I think with even one, I've be thinking of ditching the box and plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I'm heading to New Hampshire with work shortly how much do you'd think you would save , not on the new iPhone but say for instance the latest tablet

• Advertisement
Advertisement