Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrospective vetting. Help needed urgently!

Options
  • 14-09-2017 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭

The form arrived in the door today for the TC's retrospective vetting with the trademark TC dictatorial edict that this must be done within 28 days.

Now you'd say fine, whatever, as we're used to a load of bureaucratic shyte at this stage but how in the name of god can I be expected to remember all my addresses since birth??

I'm in my 50's and have lived all over the place! At several addresses in Ireland,Spain and Belgium. No way would I remember most of the ones in Belgium and Spain as this was all 20-30 years ago, so what am I going to do? I'm even very vague about my addresses in Dublin before I moved back down south.

I would have the same problem with all the places I lived in during my years in college [here in Ireland]. I wouldn't even know where to find some of them let alone remember the streets names or numbers.

That has to be the most ludicrously unreasonable demand in the history of bureaucracy! And seemingly I can count myself very lucky not to have to chase after police clearance in the foreign countries as I'm already registered. I know of somebody who had to do that and then pay a fortune to get the documents translated, all in order to be able to register.

So how have other people managed with this retrospective vetting? According to their letter today there are only 16,500 teachers left to vet. So if anyone who has been through it could tell me how they managed or anyone who,like me, has lived in a lot of places, I'd really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I'm in the same boat acequion. I also received my notification yesterday and that was the first thought that struck me too. There's no way I can remember house numbers and estate names from college days or even addresses in the early years after college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Feckin lunacy! :mad: Help guys please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Estimate it as best you can and don't leave any gaps. That's the only thing you can do. Sit down with a piece of paper and a calendar or diary and write down what you can remember and fill in the gaps at the end. Like you I couldn't remember my apartment /house numbers so I gave the name of the building and street and it came back ok.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Estimate it as best you can and don't leave any gaps. That's the only thing you can do. Sit down with a piece of paper and a calendar or diary and write down what you can remember and fill in the gaps at the end. Like you I couldn't remember my apartment /house numbers so I gave the name of the building and street and it came back ok.

Thanks Postgrad. If only I could remember building names and streets! :eek::eek:

Google maps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

Hi ok,

I recently got a new job and having to fill in my garda clearance was even a nightmare for me at only 30 years old.... I now have to do a second one for another place to do with my new job and I'm afraid of actually missing out or adding in an address or 2 that I missed on the last one.... I will however agree with the above poster, Google maps was great for remembering some of my 16 addresses (probably 20-22 really but I didn't add some!) Especially if you remember street names :-)

When I was subbing I got so used to filling them in yearly that I kept a copy of my addresses in an encyclopaedia !

Well from now on people will keep a record and in this digitised age we'll have all former addresses stored in a cloud. Not so easy for those of us around long before the digital age.

Great tip about Google maps. Hadn't thought of that in my panic. But though street names will hopefully come back to me as I go googling,not a hope of the street number. So in such cases will just the street do? What happens if you put down a number and it's the wrong one and so wrong address? How thorough are the vetters?

Who knows? Hopefully it's a quick check on a countries/regions database for a particular year to see there are no convictions. Or can they check other jurisdictions ? I know for other jobs in Ireland I've had to produce clearance from other countries I've lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

My wife got one of these letters too. She definitely was vetted when she finished her dip. I guess they lost her info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Like a lot of beuracratic organisations I would imagine that a lot of this is paperwork for paperworks sake,I wouldn't stress about 'forgetting' a few addresses.It is wholly unrealistic for the TC to expect people to have details of all former abodes.I would imagine that if you don't leave any gaps timeline wise you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I have in the past put in addresses I've now forgotten- wouldn't have accurate house numbers and estate names
    I think the last time I filled it in I just put down my parents address and the couple I could remember and left it that I was still at home for times I couldn't remember addresses - in no one ever came back to me on it

Thanks guys. You've all calmed me down.:)

Better not get so calm that I forget about though :eek: So better get on to it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Keep a copy of the addresses and dates you put down as you will probably be vetted again in the future. I found eircode site very helpful as it gives full address when you click on building.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I think you had td spend over three years abroad to have to register those addresses. This was discussed in my school today and most people who are vetted only put down the addresses where they received post so for example parents address and one or two rental places. They weren't putting down college digs etc as it was only temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I spent time in Australia - i didn't even mention it!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I have heard lots of people say the same. The reality is if you don't have a criminal record I don't think they care where you lived!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

acequion wrote: »
    The form arrived in the door today for the TC's retrospective vetting with the trademark TC dictatorial edict that this must be done within 28 days.

Now you'd say fine, whatever, as we're used to a load of bureaucratic shyte at this stage but how in the name of god can I be expected to remember all my addresses since birth??

I'm in my 50's and have lived all over the place! At several addresses in Ireland,Spain and Belgium. No way would I remember most of the ones in Belgium and Spain as this was all 20-30 years ago, so what am I going to do? I'm even very vague about my addresses in Dublin before I moved back down south.

I would have the same problem with all the places I lived in during my years in college [here in Ireland]. I wouldn't even know where to find some of them let alone remember the streets names or numbers.

That has to be the most ludicrously unreasonable demand in the history of bureaucracy! And seemingly I can count myself very lucky not to have to chase after police clearance in the foreign countries as I'm already registered. I know of somebody who had to do that and then pay a fortune to get the documents translated, all in order to be able to register.

So how have other people managed with this retrospective vetting? According to their letter today there are only 16,500 teachers left to vet. So if anyone who has been through it could tell me how they managed or anyone who,like me, has lived in a lot of places, I'd really appreciate it!

I did for a local parish. Just put down as many as you can recall. Adjust the dates etc. You would be very foolish to try to try to recall them all. Bottom line is your name and date of birth is all they really need. The addresses are in case somebody with your exact name has the exact same birth date and is a teacher which usually doesnt happen. Of course some teachers being anal retentive and a bureaucrats wet dream will try to pointlessly find all their addresses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fall wrote:
    I have heard lots of people say the same. The reality is if you don't have a criminal record I don't think they care where you lived!

And if you just don't mention somewhere where you have a criminal record, they are none the wiser. Stupid system and still the greatest danger to children comes from within their family circle.

I think people should be clear on what a criminal record is. It does not involve a Probation of offenders act. Best advice is if you have a record -get legal advice before submitting form. Check your solicitor has experience with Vetting. Lying on the form is not a good idea. Its been knocking around the union as an issue since the creation of the teaching council and I have been on committees where its been discussed

Even if you have a record-it depends on what it is. They are really interested in child abuse issues or violence. Not much else

• Advertisement

Also point of information for people, if you're already registered you don't need police clearance from the foreign countries you've lived in,regardless of how long you've lived there.

One of the reasons I was having a fit when i started this thread is because I've lived 10 years in two different countries and at a fair few addresses in those countries. The idea of having to track down police clearance for all of that and then fork out a hefty sum on official translations took the night's sleep off me the first night. Was I relieved the following day when I realised it didn't apply to me!!

But for those registering for the first time, if you've lived out of Ireland for more than three consecutive years you will have to get police clearance from there.

I would not bother my hole getting police clearance if you lived abroad. Just move the dates around. Your DOB plus name is really all they need.They have those already The addresses are simply as a back up on the very rare chance somebody with the same name has the same DOB.Just dont lie-if you happen to have a record in a foreign jurisdiction then put in that address if you dont -just move the dates.

Otherwise you getting police clearance knowing full well there is nothing there. It reminds me of the time people had to get letters of freedom before they married in every parish they lived in-wait for it-from birth.
    If you did a naughty thing abroad-be up front otherwise dont create extra hassle for yourself.

I wont comment further . If anybody needs specific advice PM me. Been through this process privately in my parish and have advised a few ASTI members over years.

All the above is a private opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Welllll I wouldn't 'move dates around' ... when I applied initially I just put down 'lived abroad in x for 10 months' and heard nothing back.

Welllll I wouldn't 'move dates around' ... when I applied initially I just put down 'lived abroad in x for 10 months' and heard nothing back.

Not bad advice but you might trip across a bureaucrat who wants the info. I think the whole exercise is a waste. If you are a known child abuser Id say the cops have dealt with you already. Ditto for most crimes that would impact on kids.

The really troubling thing will be when the council takes up investigations made by parents/Principals. Non criminal events that they will pursue teachers using teachers own money. Oh irony upon Irony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Not bad advice but you might trip across a bureaucrat who wants the info. I think the whole exercise is a waste. If you are a known child abuser Id say the cops have dealt with you already. Ditto for most crimes that would impact on kids.

The really troubling thing will be when the council takes up investigations made by parents/Principals. Non criminal events that they will pursue teachers using teachers own money. Oh irony upon Irony

I think the jurisdiction is the main thing. I presume they can check your name out within those areas if needs be.

You really have to be mindfull of your actions as a teacher or thinking about becoming one! it's worth mentioning to students too about impulse actions. I've read a few threads where people's past have caught up with them, one guy wanted to coach kids but couldn't because he was in an altercation when he was younger (20 years old I think) with another minor. He forgot all about it until his vetting was refused, his record said 'assault on a minor' so that was that.

Advertisement