Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Transactions Issue

Options
  • 14-09-2017 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭

Good morning guys, 

yesterday afternoon I tried to purchase a flight online, only to find that in order to complete the transaction, I must enter a PIN number that would be sent by SMS to my phone. Prior to this, when completing an online purchase, I simply had to type a password in order to verify the transaction.

The problem here is twofold. 
    • I live overseas, in a country where a) I don't have acccess to my Irish number, and b) even if I do change the number associated with my account to a local number here (a process, that incidentally takes 5-7 days, and involves snail mailing yet another PIN code to my home address (?!) ), it's far from safe to assume that I can receive PIN numbers sent by SMS here. 
    • I just checked my email, and I can confirm that I was never informed of these changes to your security policy, nor was I issued with any alternatives. Please see attached screenshot. 

I'd like to know what my alternatives are. As it stands, current policy seems to dictate that a BoI customer MUST have a mobile phone in order to complete a transaction, and MUST be accessible by mobile phone at all times. Which is clearly not the case for all of your customers - in my case, I don't have physical access to that number, and either way, I reserve the right to maintain a level of privacy with respect to my contact details. 

I'd appreciate a reply ASAP, because the flight I needed to book yesterday was an urgent one, and in the end I had to book through someone else's card and reimburse them, which doesn't reflect well on my own bank. 

Regards,
    ~Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

Sorry to hear you haven't received the passcode.

3D Secure is payment authentication standard for internet purchases which adds an extra layer of security when purchasing online using your debit card or credit card (“Card”) with participating retailers, one-time passcodes are replacing having to remember passwords when completing your shopping online.

If you do not receive a passcode by SMS text message, you should check to see if the last 4 digits of the mobile phone number on the 3D Secure Payment Screen are the last 4 digits of your current mobile phone number. If not then call us on [URL="tel:0818200370"]0818 200 370[/URL], or [URL="tel:+35312500370"]+353 1 2500370[/URL] if you’re calling from abroad, to provide us with your up-to-date mobile phone number. This process would also apply if you have changed the mobile number.

Please see here for more information on one-time codes.

Thanks,

Kareana

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi Kareana, 

thank you for your reply, however I think you missed the point of my enquiry. 

I understand what 3D Authentication is, however, for people living overseas such as myself, in countries that don't have dependable mobile networks, or networks that often don't receive international text messages, 3D authentication is not a workable solution - if I can't receive the message to begin with, then how can I ever make a purchase?

I didn't ask for 3D Secure to be implemented on my account, nor was I informed of it until yesterday, when I needed to purchase a flight. As such, I'd like to know what alternative form of authentication can be provided. The previous system of entering a password was perfectly workable from my end, without the need to have a working mobile number that can receive international text messages. 

Regards,
    ~Mike

Hi mike_ie, 

Thanks for the reply.

You would need access to a registered mobile phone when shopping online if the merchant requires the code to complete the purchase.

If you don't have access to the mobile you will be unable to complete the purchase. 

If your mobile number has changed you can update it by calling us on [url=tel:0818200370]0818 200 370[/url], or [url=tel:+35312500370]+353 1 2500370[/url].

Also please see the link above for more details on the one-time passcodes.

Thanks,

Kareana  

And your customers who don't possess a mobile phone, or don't wish to make their mobile phone number publicly available - how do they make online purchases?

As it stands, it seems that changes to the security measures with respect to my debit/credit card were made without informing me, and while I am living overseas, effectively stranding me without the ability to purchase flights and complete other important transactions. 

P.S. I've read the link, I perfectly understand what one time passcode are and how they function - my point is they are not feasible for account holders in certain situations (i.e. mine). Can you provide me with an alternative?

Hi mike_ie

As mentioned above the system has updated as we have moved from passwords to the one-time code and there is no alternative if the one-time code is requested by participating merchants to complete the purchase.

Having your mobile phone registered for this service would not be make your mobile details publicly available.

We have sent emails to our customers prior to the update of protecting our customer accounts when online shopping with relevant information regarding the new system.

If you wish to log an official complaint please see here.

Thanks,

Kareana

• Advertisement

Hi mike_ie

As mentioned above the system has updated as we have moved from passwords to the one-time code and there is no alternative if the one-time code is requested by participating merchants to complete the purchase.

Having your mobile phone registered for this service would not be make your mobile details publicly available.

Therefore all of your customers must now own a mobile phone to complete a transaction, and must submit their phone number to their bank. While it may not be making my number available to the general public, it does remove my rights to privacy when it comes to choosing who I give my number to.
    We have sent emails to our customers prior to the update of protecting our customer accounts when online shopping with relevant information regarding the new system.

Unfortunately the attached screenshot in the opening post shows otherwise. Other than generic emails about securing my cards while on holidays this summer, I didn't receive anything that indicated changes would be made to the way I could access my account.
    If you wish to log an official complaint please see here

I would like to, but somewhat ironically, going by that link, the only avenues I have for complaint are to go to the bank in person, send them a letter, or speak to them over the phone, none of which are really feasible from here.

Unfortunately, considering I have been a customer of Bank of Ireland for quite a few years, I really don't have an option other than to seek out a bank that does provide alternates when it comes to online transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi mike_ie,

Sorry to hear you feel this way and please be assured we will pass on your feedback. If you could please send us a private message with your email address, we'll contact our communications team to try and find out why you didn't receive this particular email from us.

Thanks
    Tara

Thank you Tara. PM sent. 

Advertisement