Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Geuze wrote: »
    We're moving towards full employment expecting to reach it next year with a possible need for immigrant workers.
    Cutting the wefare payment and forcing people into schemes is pointless.
    There will always be a very small percentage who can't or don't want to work an examples would people happy to work on contract or seasonal employees.

There are several hundred thousand inactive adults in Ireland.

Inactive ?
    Full employment is about 96% or so.
    It's not possible to achieve 100% for a number of reasons.
    They can vary from from people working between contracts , agency workers ; casual workers , seasonal workers etc and so on .
    At the moment we're rocking in about 6.5% , maybe 140,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Doltanian wrote: »
    The dole should cut and all lifers transferred onto FAS schemes, put them out in gangs maintaining the backroads and get some work out of them. Very quickly alot would sign off and there is those who would even welcome the work. There has to be an end to the money in return for nothing culture in this country.

Eh what's that got to do with this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Do the council still have responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of these free houses?

Like if a washing machine breaks down the taxpayer has to foot the bill?

Paying twice for everything I am.

What free houses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

We have a culture here of people leeching off the state. Its an absolute piss take. Im not talking about people who work and lose there job. Im talking about people who have no interest in working or contributing to society getting a free pass. Say theres a couple with two kids, both are on the dole and getting rent allowance, medical cards etc. If they decide on having another child they should pay for the child, themselves by working. What sort of ethics is that to pass on to the next generation, neither parent working, living off the state, when theres plenty of work there at the minute, but some people have the mentality of, ah just have a few kids, get a gaf off the social, you'll be grand.

that "culture" is very small. it's a problem, but it's not a solvible problem.
    ^^^^a higher rate of job seekers for those who have made prsi contributions (as suggested at the FG Ard fheis yesterday) would at least go some way to incentivising work vs not working. The current situation where person A having never contributed a cent in prsi or usc receives the same dole as person B who has been working for 20 years is deeply immoral.

i have no particular issue with this, but it's not going to incentivise the small few work shy to work. nothing will and realistically what employer would want them?
    I'd never normally suggest taking cues from the UK but a benefit cap and only getting help for two kids surely has to be looked at?

again it's a good idea in theory but not workible in practice. it doesn't work in cutting birth rates.
    The dole should cut and all lifers transferred onto FAS schemes, put them out in gangs maintaining the backroads and get some work out of them. Very quickly alot would sign off and there is those who would even welcome the work. There has to be an end to the money in return for nothing culture in this country.

hugely expensive in terms of supervision and the work already has staff to do it. those who want to work will eventually find work, the small few work shy wouldn't benefit from schemes as no employer will touch them.
    200,000 is not a small percentage by any means. There would be no need for immigrant labour if our own did the work, they obviously won't so we must force them to do it.

it's not 200000. most of the number who are unemployed are the retired/infirm. a very small proportion of it would be work shy.
    Do the council still have responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of these free houses?

nope, you aren't.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

BillyBobBS wrote: »

What free houses?

The ones with a peppercorn rent which is paid by free money.

And when arrears are ran up instead of paying the debtor gets a mob up to protest (c.f. the case in Cork not too long ago).

Those free houses. The ones the rest of us work for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

And when arrears are ran up instead of paying the debtor gets a mob up to protest (c.f. the case in Cork not too long ago).

There was no rent paid for the equivalent of 4 years on that property.

The arrears allegedly arose from rent reviews and under declaration of income.

I have no idea if the eviction went ahead though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

There was no rent paid for the equivalent of 4 years on that property.

The arrears allegedly arose from rent reviews and under declaration of income.

I have no idea if the eviction went ahead though.

It absolutely should have though imho.

It absolutely should have though imho.

I agree, fair is fair.

One of the activists protesting with the tenant has run for election to the council in the last local elections.

Neil Prendeville holds him in high regard, the activist, not the tenant.

He’s a fellow truck driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Inactive ?
    Full employment is about 96% or so.
    It's not possible to achieve 100% for a number of reasons.
    They can vary from from people working between contracts , agency workers ; casual workers , seasonal workers etc and so on .
    At the moment we're rocking in about 6.5% , maybe 140,000.

Although the UNR is falling, our employment rate is not very high.

We have by far the highest rate of people living in VLWI households in the EU.

Example:

Country A - 100 adults, 57 in work, 3 unemployed, 40 inactive - UNR = 5%

Country B - 100 adults, 63 in work, 7 unemployed, 30 inactive - UNR = 10%

Country A appears better, as the UNR is just 5%.

But country A have to support 43 dependents from 57 workers.

We are more like country A, we have too many inactive adults.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Married couples should be prioritised and a fair equitable system of Divorce introduced to prevent women taking men with wealth to the cleaners. If it was up to me I would get rid of Divorce entirely in favour a system of annulments with the Church overseeing it.

Have we suddenly gone into a timewarp and we're back in the 50's???

• Advertisement

I am delighted for them. Yet another single mum though.... they are everywhere now popping out kids like smarties. Should be able to support themselves if they want to have children, or prevent it if you don't. We have come a long way from the Condom Trains way back when.

But anyway, despite my negative thoughts, this lady was living at home with her child. Many under 30s are also living at home because they cannot afford the rents today.

Hubs for everyone I say! Oh and where is Daddy?

Repealing the 8th will go a long way to helping this problem.

Accidental pregnancies will always happen, no contraceptive is 100% reliable and making women travel for abortion affects those on low income the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Geuze wrote: »
    Although the UNR is falling, our employment rate is not very high.

We have by far the highest rate of people living in VLWI households in the EU.

Example:

Country A - 100 adults, 57 in work, 3 unemployed, 40 inactive - UNR = 5%

Country B - 100 adults, 63 in work, 7 unemployed, 30 inactive - UNR = 10%

Country A appears better, as the UNR is just 5%.

But country A have to support 43 dependents from 57 workers.

We are more like country A, we have too many inactive adults.

Just wait until we have more takers than people paying into the system. That's when everything will kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I was standing in a rented house with the landlord and the tenant and the tenants mother.
    The tenant has 2 boys who have been removed from her last week when the landlord came to check his property, and he felt he had to phone TUSLA.
    It’s a RAS house.
    The tenant is crying and full of self pity and her mother is pleading with the landlord that she will pay in full up front for all the repairs that need to be done in the house, if only he will let her stay.
    Because this house was her last chance with social housing and she would have no choice but to go home, to her mothers.
    This girl would be the poster girl in our town for Can’t Pay Won’t Pay AAA/PBP.
    The landlord knows if he puts her out she will turn the whole thing on his head.
    Don’t be a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I live in a council house and I'm damn glad of it. In my opinion sentiment and where your children go to school should go out the window when it comes to finding a "forever home" because wherever you get housed you can always go back to your hometown for a night or two. You can change schools for your kids. They can still see their friends they had in their old school if you make that happen. It may not be every weekend but you can make it happen if you really want to. I've changed homes with my kids but it's always been in the same area roughly. In saying that I'd move further away if nothing else was suitable in my present area. You take what you're given and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

pilly wrote: »
    Have we suddenly gone into a timewarp and we're back in the 50's???

The 50s???? More like the 1800's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

There's also a culture of political corruption and mismanagement...which one do you think costs the average tax payer more? If you put half as much effort into holding the executive to account as you do social welfare recipients, there would be far more potential return than demanding a portion of work-shy society be refused access to social housing...

Yes i agree with your post, but this tread is about people who think they're entitled to houses

A Fermoy family with 4 children who have been on the county council waiting list for 5 years have pleaded for accommodation.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/The-children-are-just-frozen-every-morning-family-plead-for-accommodation-17c91e7f-ef68-4bb1-bdd7-ce944d59da13-ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A Fermoy family with 4 children who have been on the county council waiting list for 5 years have pleaded for accommodation.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/The-children-are-just-frozen-every-morning-family-plead-for-accommodation-17c91e7f-ef68-4bb1-bdd7-ce944d59da13-ds

Do we need to know every story when someone is looking to jump the list by going to the media,

Nope, some people just have an healthy obsession with it!

Meant to say unhealthy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pilly wrote: »
    Nope, some people just have an healthy obsession with it!

Have you read the thread title. It’s literally what this thread is about.

23 Year old pregnant woman loses her local authority home due to anti social behaviour.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pregnant-woman-loses-home-after-making-life-intolerable-for-neighbours-1.3308119

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Is it time to rename the thread ' Social Housing Tenants News Dump' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

somefeen wrote: »

It's obsessive

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

somefeen wrote: »

And the main contributor is himself living in social housing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SSr0 wrote: »

I'm not going to cite all the references here, but to have someone who actively seeks advice on obtaining welfare payments calling out others such as them is ridiculous

I genuinely can't see why they think they can do so,it's like a case of an alternative universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

SSr0 wrote: »

Those who live in state-provided glass houses should not throw stones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod noteClosed pending review.

Buford T. Justice.

Edit: Thread gone very far from the OP so it shall remain closed. Thanks to all for their contributions,

Buford T. Justice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement