Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ELM327 wrote:
    The reason we have so much FDI is our low, unchanging corporation tax. If we change it at all it will drive FDI away.

I'm aware of this and agree to a point, but this ideology is all based on 'trickle down' economics, which isn't exactly true. We effectively have very complex economic systems whereby 'trickle up' is more realistic to whats actually happening. Corporation earnings and profits play an important role in this trickle up effect, we need to figure out ways of making these profits benefit all in society, not just the few, but I'm not convinced we know how to actually do that just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

These articles in the independent skit single mothers issues with housing irritate me because they never ask the question about or focus on the absent fathers.

And it would probably be easy to ask those questions given that there probably hiding in the next room... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

These articles in the independent skit single mothers issues with housing irritate me because they never ask the question about or focus on the absent fathers.

And never ask them how the job hunting is going. Or how is it that they have not been successful in finding a job in 14 years...or what does it feel like to be a waster who expects life handed to them on a platter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Winterlong wrote: »
    And never ask them how the job hunting is going. Or how is it that they have not been successful in finding a job in 14 years...or what does it feel like to be a waster who expects life handed to them on a platter.

Ah but the meeja is controlled up in space by Dennis or brien and enda kenny.

It's all a conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I'm surprised the journal haven't picked up on this thread!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm aware of this and agree to a point, but this ideology is all based on 'trickle down' economics, which isn't exactly true. We effectively have very complex economic systems whereby 'trickle up' is more realistic to whats actually happening. Corporation earnings and profits play an important role in this trickle up effect, we need to figure out ways of making these profits benefit all in society, not just the few, but I'm not convinced we know how to actually do that just yet.

Actually, we balance that well enough. The corporations aren't taxed per se but they employ people who earn good money and are taxed to the hilt. Some of this money goes into our welfare system which in turn trickles up. This money helped keep the economy afloat between 08 the beginnings of the recovery.

What other way would you have it?

The sycophantic praise for corporations on this thread is worrying.

People have obviously fallen for the fake news and propaganda that corporations are good for our society. Corporations are destroying our society.

It's appropriate that corporations should pay tax.

OK so tomorrow you wake up and all corporations are gone from Ireland. Hundreds of thousands of people are unemployed directly with a few hundred more to come from the breakdown of the need for auxiliary services.

We've vanquished the evil corporations and removed nearly all demand from the economy. Now what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

People have obviously fallen for the fake news and propaganda that corporations are good for our society. Corporations are destroying our society.

If you think those corporations are the problem as opposed to the main reason we're now such a highly developed country than you haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Maybe because companies rather employ foreigners and pay them next to nothing rather than employee the Irish man and have to pay more. The majority of foreigners aren't spending they're money here, they're sending back to whatever country they're from.

Btw Leo doesn't haven't balls. If he had balls those people responsible for the crash would be behind bars, a justice warrior would do that at least. You know, the people who actually commit crimes. Very easy attack the weakest in society, but go after anyone who is wealthy then it's a whole different ball game.

As far as I'm aware people who caused the crash went to prison.

Are you telling me there is no irish people surviving on low paid jobs in Ireland, only foreigners?

Bull****.

So, Irish people cannot survive on minimum wage, but immigrants can not only survive on minimum wage, they can afford to send money home.

I see a business opportunity for setting up budgeting and money management classes so the indigenous Irish can learn from the immigrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And it would probably be easy to ask those questions given that there probably hiding in the next room... :D

You see you aren't allowed to offend anyone now, for fear of you getting hunted down by the internet mobs baying for your head or for you to be sacked.

I watched a TV discussion the other night with Brendan Burgess from AAM and there was the usual moaning single mum on.....I am sure many panelists would love to say "where is the father(s) of your children", but you could only imagine the uproar if they did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

OK so tomorrow you wake up and all corporations are gone from Ireland. Hundreds of thousands of people are unemployed directly with a few hundred more to come from the breakdown of the need for auxiliary services.

We've vanquished the evil corporations and removed nearly all demand from the economy. Now what?

We go to the magic money tree and get some money to give all the newly poor people (comrades) free house.
    Then we turn our ire to the politicians and rich people and all employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am sure many panelists would love to say "where is the father(s) of your children", but you could only imagine the uproar if they did.

Probably because it's none of their ****ing business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Probably because it's none of their ****ing business.

But it is if we the taxpayer are being forced to pay for their 30 seconds of pleasure! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So you are denying being on the dole today is more comfortable, relatively speaking, than it was in the 80's or 90's?

Are you really saying that?

the fact is there were work shy before 1999 in similar numbers to now. that is what i stated, that is a fact. the doal wasn't comfortable in the 1980s but the reality is whether it is comfortable or uncomfortable there will always be work shy and in similar numbers. again, that is a fact.
    How come we have to employ half a million foreign workers in the service industry yet we have over 300,000 irish people claiming the dole and whatever else each week?

Let's be honest here. The piss is been absolutely ripped out of the tax payer's in this country.

Leo was the only one to at least have the balls to touch this subject.

plenty of politicians touched the subject. however they also have to deal with reality. leo's suggestions weren't viable.
    Do you know what I did when the house I purchased needed extensive work? I battened down the hatches (figuratively, not literally) and lived in it as it was for 18 months whilst saving every possible cent. No unnecessary expenditure. No new clothes, no nights out, nothing that wasn't necessary, only food, bills, fuel, insurance, healthcare costs etc. It wasn't a fun 18 months but I got on with it and did it. When I had a chunk saved I took out a personal loan spread over five years to cover the remainder.

that's great, but that isn't viable for everyone as they may not have the same income as you. so even if they barely eat they still wouldn't have the money to refurbish their house.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

But it is if we the taxpayer are being forced to pay for their 30 seconds of pleasure! :mad:

In relation to the pleasure bit that's nasty :pac:

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    You do not speak for ordinary people. Ordinary people get up and go to work and pay their own way.

Stop blaming the politicians for your life choices.

he does speak for ordinary people who pay their way. the politicians are to blame for allowing the cost of living to continue to rise.
    Foxhound38 wrote: »
    So... it's the "establishment" that prevented her from getting up off her hole and looking for a job at 18, rather than going straight on the housing list?

Good to know - I guess I should have remembered the golden rule: when you make crap life choices and get called out for it, just mumble something about bankers and politicians and you shall be absolved of any personal responsibility.

there were no jobs for her. she obviously wasn't the right candidate for employers.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭rondog

Sorry if Ive missed it but can some tell me where this article about this sponging leech of a thing was written?
    Id like to read it.

rondog wrote: »
    Sorry if Ive missed it but can some tell me where this article about this sponging leech of a thing was written?
    Id like to read it.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/i-just-want-a-home-for-my-children-mum-on-housing-list-for-12-years-36130478.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

It's also appropriate that you should think about contributing something to the society that you keep banging on about, instead of leeching from it as you seem so happy to do.

What's the saying? Get a job, any job will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nasty, but true unfortunately.
    We need to get away from our societal model, of little to no personal fiscal responsibilities, and move to a society where those who can afford to have children have them, and those who can't upskill and move to a better paid job.

ELM327 wrote: »
    We need to get away from our societal model, of little to no personal fiscal responsibilities, and move to a society where those who can afford to have children have them, and those who can't upskill and move to a better paid job.

that's never going to happen. people will always have children if they want to have them. upskilling and moving to better jobs will never be the full norm as there isn't a market for all those people. the market can only support so many skilled individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

that's never going to happen. people will always have children if they want to have them. upskilling and moving to better jobs will never be the full norm as there isn't a market for all those people. the market can only support so many skilled individuals.

What!

There is a shortage of skilled workers in Ireland!

You are away with the fairies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

They do.

It's called corporation tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

There is a 20,000 shortfall in IT professionals in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I am suprised that the journal or other outlets have not yet picked up on her old Facebook posts over the last couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

If you don't work then you should not expect to live at the same standard as those who do. Simple as that.

The same standard? Both me and my wife work, it's their standard that is better and not the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There is a 20,000 shortfall in IT professionals in Ireland.

Skilled experienced IT professionals

People who have done a conversion course will find it hard to fill these positions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I am suprised that the journal or other outlets have not yet picked up on her old Facebook posts over the last couple of years.

Such as?
    You have ne intrigued now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

dan1895 wrote: »
    Such as?
    You have ne intrigued now.

Pretty must boasting that anyone working a regular job is an idiot while she allegedly making a fortune and living the high life as part of the forever living pyramid scheme.

Surely She Was paying Taxes and not claiming the dole aswell throughout!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Pretty must boasting that anyone working a regular job is an idiot while she allegedly making a fortune and living the high life as part of the forever living pyramid scheme.

I was thinking that she was nothing but a parasitic leech on society and now have had that confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any links to her past posts?

If these are true, then shows how stupid some people are, coming forward looking for the countrys sympathy when you have something in the background that'll embarrass you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That's probably their next wave, get as much as possible out of the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

they support the minimum wage being increased and the cost of living to come down? great, i agree with them.
    or do they believe this nonsense that if there was no doal the few scammers would work? they won't, they will just burgle our houses instead.
    for the most part work all ready pays. it's the cost of living that is the major issue. do you think fg are going to do anything about that? not a chance.
    not a chance would they be in power for years if they dismantled the wellfare state. most people are realists and know the cost of not having it would be multiples of having it.

you chose to buy a house and you will own it at the end as long as you can keep up the repayments. the person who is housed by the authority for a low rent will likely never own the house.
    we as a country need to get out of this boomtime mindset that buying a house makes us special, or more entitled or deserving, outside ownership of that property.

The only sense of entitlement in this country is from the large minority who are on the scratch and expect others to house them and to fund their lifestyle of drinking, smoking, drug taking, fighting, shouting, TV in every room, iphones, holidays in spain.
    Leo if you are reading Its time to take out the trash.

The only sense of entitlement in this country is from the large minority who are on the scratch and expect others to house them and to fund their lifestyle of drinking, smoking, drug taking, fighting, shouting, TV in every room, iphones, holidays in spain.
    Leo if you are reading Its time to take out the trash.

it's a very small minority. just like it's a very small minority of mortgage holders for example, who are self entitled and play the victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see the partner of the young mother who committed suicide recently , appeared wanting to know where his council house is today

it's a very small minority. just like it's a very small minority of mortgage holders for example, who are self entitled and play the victim.

If it was a small minority we as a nation would hardly notice it - but the problem has got so out of hand they are becoming more and more public with their vulgarity.
    The middle class have always subsidised the feckless. its time to turn off the tap and let Darwin Theory play out.

If it was a small minority we as a nation would hardly notice it - but the problem has got so out of hand they are becoming more and more public with their vulgarity.

the problem is small. it's a problem no less, but it's small. the only reason we notice it is because of social media mostly, which gives people a platform, usually the more extreme elements being the ones to mainly make use of that platform and take advantage of it. some of the mainstream media focus on it also. in turn this drives perceptions such as yours.
    the same nonsense was going on long before social media but we didn't hear about it on a national level, but on a local level we would know of individuals, and those individuals had no audience then, unlike now.
    The middle class have always subsidised the feckless.

and that always will be the case.
    its time to turn off the tap and let Darwin Theory play out.

not going to happen, it's not cost effective or viable. you would actually be paying a lot more with your proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

the problem is small. it's a problem no less, but it's small. the only reason we notice it is because of social media mostly, which gives people a platform, usually the more extreme elements being the ones to mainly make use of that platform and take advantage of it. some of the mainstream media focus on it also. in turn this drives perceptions such as yours.
    the same nonsense was going on long before social media but we didn't hear about it on a national level, but on a local level we would know of individuals, and those individuals had no audience then, unlike now.

and that always will be the case.

not going to happen, it's not cost effective or viable. you would actually be paying a lot more with your proposal.

No sorry not true you're wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The middle class have always subsidised the feckless. its time to turn off the tap and let Darwin Theory play out.

Maybe Darwins theory is playing out...
    Parasitism is a very successful adaption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

I always thought the current situation was Darwinism on its head but could be bang on correct there.

You breed them, we will feed them

• Advertisement

with their goat heads.

No sorry not true you're wrong

wrong on what? that it's a problem but the amount causing it is small? or that it's only since social media has given those people a platform we are more aware of it whereas before we wouldn't have been apart from the odd individual locally?

wrong on what? that it's a problem but the amount causing it is small? or that it's only since social media has given those people a platform we are more aware of it whereas before we wouldn't have been apart from the odd individual locally?

Neither

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Doyler152

Could have up skilled a hell of a lot over 12yrs even if only one day a week courses.
    Time to get off her hole and make it happen

Doyler152 wrote: »
    Could have up skilled a hell of a lot over 12yrs even if only one day a week courses.
    Time to get off her hole and make it happen

no point, employers won't want her. they want high quality candidates who want to work and in some cases who have experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

it really is a joke. give her a house in the west of Ireland somewhere that will **** her up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

This is very obvious but still needs to be said. Poor people having more children and educated middle and upper classes having less is a huge concern and something needs to be done to balance it out. Maybe some of the kids from non-contributing families will rise to the occasion when the state simply can't afford to keep them, along with the rising costs of pensions.

But politicians seriously need to grow a pair and not wait for crisis point. Maybe Leo is the man because I like his plan to reduce taxes for middle income workers.

I would start by completely eliminating child benefits for the third and above kids in all families. I would also think strongly about only giving child benefits for one child in non-contributing households or those living in council houses.

no point, employers won't want her. they want high quality candidates who want to work and in some cases who have experience.

Nail on the head there.
    Some people just don't want to work.

This is very obvious but still needs to be said. Poor people having more children and educated middle and upper classes having less is a huge concern and something needs to be done to balance it out. Maybe some of the kids from non-contributing families will rise to the occasion when the state simply can't afford to keep them, along with the rising costs of pensions.

But politicians seriously need to grow a pair and not wait for crisis point. Maybe Leo is the man because I like his plan to reduce taxes for middle income workers.

I would start by completely eliminating child benefits for the third and above kids in all families. I would also think strongly about only giving child benefits for one child in non-contributing households or those living in council houses.

In relation to the bottom paragraph there would be uproar.

The government would be accused of attacking the poorest in society while a certain minority would say it's discrimination against their culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Nope, sorry, you're wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement