Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballer of the Year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

kilns wrote:
    It is just human nature to vote for someone who had disappointment this year and give them a consolation prize and that is why Andy Moran will win, if you dont believe that you are very naiive. I think that is the main point people are trying to get across over the last few pages

Are you actually calling the Player of the year award a consolation prize.

You're deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

kilns wrote: »
    I dont why I am debating with you but a case has been made for Mannion and O'Callaghan so broaden your mind a little and accept arguments for and against, nobody is debating that Andy Moran had a great year but people are suggesting others had great years too but you refuse to accept it.
    Good luck to you

I would add McCarthy and Cluxton to that list which shows how many Dublin contenders there are (That first kick-out against Tyrone by Cluxton was the play of the year).

People will be split over which of at least those four Dublin players contributed the most, Moran is by a long distance the only Mayo contender, Harte and Geaney are too far behind, meaning that the logic and the nature of the vote point to Moran winning it. At the same time, when it came to the crunch, he didn't score after the 22nd minute of the All-Ireland final.

O'Callaghan or Clifford for Young Player of the Year.

On the All-Stars, the pivotal nature of the three-in-a-row achievement would normally mean Dublin would get 8 or 9, but expect the usual consolation prizes to be handed out and Dublin could get as few as 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I dont why I am debating with you but a case has been made for Mannion and O'Callaghan so broaden your mind a little and accept arguments for and against, nobody is debating that Andy Moran had a great year but people are suggesting others had great years too but you refuse to accept it.
    Good luck to you

Broaden my mind and accept arguments... If the argument is that the poty award basically operates like the Eurovision and nearly half of intercounty gaa players are biased, dishonest and just hate Dublin is the argument Im supposed to accept, then sorry but that cant be taken seriously. If you want an argument to be taken seriously, make a decent one.

The reality is guys are saying moran will get it, but only because of the above conspiracy, and it is them Im taking issue with. The reality is they know he will probably win it, but just don't want to admit that this is because he probably deserves the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He missed 8/14 in the first half though.

Incorrect. He hit 8/14.

Broaden my mind and accept arguments... If the argument is that the poty award basically operates like the Eurovision and nearly half of intercounty gaa players are biased, dishonest and just hate Dublin is the argument Im supposed to accept, then sorry but that cant be taken seriously. If you want an argument to be taken seriously, make a decent one.

The reality is guys are saying moran will get it, but only because of the above conspiracy, and it is them Im taking issue with. The reality is they know he will probably win it, but just don't want to admit that this is because he probably deserves the award.

Keegan won it last year on a split vote, it is not rocket science to suggest it will happen again.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I think the qualifiers lend themselves more to non All Ireland winners winning it.

Mayo have had a great journey and Moran has been part of that. If Mayo had not lost to Galway it might be a different story on POTY as more games means more memories and chances to impress

Moran has been very good across a number of games all be it alot if them vs inferior teams. He would be a deserved winner but so would a few of the Dublin players

It definitely does, no question about it. But then playing in a team that is miles head of everyone lends itself to awards also. Would any of Dublin's 5 winners in 7 years have the POTY award if they played for Carlow? How many would Brendan Murphy have if he played for Dublin?

Well if 'everyone', i.e. you and two other dubs, could piece together a valid counter argument that wasn't bordering on a carry-on film, you wouldn't have to man.

If you're referring to me, I'd give it to Moran. I'm just trying to explain something to you.

If it helps you understand, I think Cluxton has the best chance of a Dublin player due to never having won it and his career. That would be people voting based on emotion rather than who the best player was. It doesn't matter what county they happen to represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

seligehgit wrote: »
    Bambi wrote: »
    I'd imagine Moran will get the sympathy vote given that he's an old guy who had an Indian summer but lost again

Mannion the best forward this year for me, took some ridiculous scores[/QUOTE]

Mannion for me has been Dublin's stand out player this year.When it was needed at the start of the second half he stood up and caused untold problems.

Not sure whom mentioned the minimal impact McManamon,now that's laughable.He was exceptional and caused untold problems.He had far more impact than his more illustrious team mate Diarmuid Connolly.

The bench undoubtedly won the game for Dublin.We ran out of legs,simple as.Laughable the notion we bottled it,our bench is not comparable to that of the Dubs.Donie's sending off was crucial as outside the fact we would have been a man up,on quite a warm where fresh legs would be crucial it allowed Cluxton to pick his men with a stretched game and greater space to place his kickouts.

As mentioned it is frankly insulting to hear it repeated that Dublin didn't turn up for final like last year.They were only allowed play as well as our guys allowed them to do so.

Have to no intention of watching the game back for many months.

Why did we lose the game?Another early goal concession with too many steps taken?The game was probably lost in the first half with some relatively poor wides.A paltry one point lead was scant reward for our dominance.

The sending offs,the change in personnel ensured that Dublin ran at us very successfully in the second half.The missed goal chance,although Rock should equally have buried his.The misses by Andy,Aidan and Cillian's missed chance.Not a Mayo man there anticipating the rebound.

The unfortunate final two kickouts,pressure does crazy things.

Very proud of the lads though,they left nothing out there.

No way is that true but Kev Mc was very good. Also, i'd argue it wasn't the Dublin bench at all that swung the game. Connolly and Kev Mc came on at HT but they hardly had a huge fitness advantage when they were changing the game early in the second half. They changed the game because they're brilliant players not out of the freshness of their legs. Other than that the other subs did nothing. In truth it was the Dublin starters who took the game to Mayo in the last 10 minutes to close it out, as they always do. Players like McCarthy, COS, Cooper, were still running hard while AOS, Higgins, etc had come to a standstill. Mayo are special, Dublin moreso in every aspect.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Keegan won it last year on a split vote, it is not rocket science to suggest it will happen again.

:P
    No he didn't man, the same logic applies last year as this year. He won it because he was by a distance the best player last year. I mean, he marked the top players on every team, nullified them completely and even outscored almost all of them. He popped up for huge scores when his team needed them also, off both feet. There was even a media campaign against him, which he answered with the goal of the season. It was a movie-season if there ever was one, they even left enough room for a sequal with the ending. That propaganda last year is the same as the propaganda this year - a load of b*l*x. The split voting argument doesn't stand up at all. In fact, it isn't even split voting you are describing, it is in fact spoiler effect, where two guys of a similar ideology spoil their vote-base by going against one another. But Dublin only get 25 odd votes, so it isn't applicable at all.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    If you're referring to me, I'd give it to Moran. I'm just trying to explain something to you.

If it helps you understand, I think Cluxton has the best chance of a Dublin player due to never having won it and his career. That would be people voting based on emotion rather than who the best player was. It doesn't matter what county they happen to represent.

But that isn't a bias based just on county though. In fact that is an example of non-dubs voting for a dub despite him not deserving it on footballing grounds - the very opposite of the argument that 'people just wont vote for dubs regardless of them deserving it' as some pushed earlier.

But that isn't a bias based just on county though. In fact that is an example of non-dubs voting for a dub despite him not deserving it on footballing grounds - the very opposite of the argument that 'people just wont vote for dubs regardless of them deserving it' as some pushed earlier.

Which is something I've been at pains to explain isn't what the split vote concept is about but you still don't grasp it and are obsessed with making it about counties.

Buer wrote: »
    Which is something I've been at pains to explain isn't what the split vote concept is about but you still don't grasp it and are obsessed with making it about counties.

I didn't make it about counties at all. I was told that some lads will have built up a dislike of Dublin and this was the reasoning behind it. That is what I was responding to.

However, if what you say is a big issue in the award, and guys might vote for a guy on a losing team out of pity for example - surely we would have far more winners who are also losing AI finalists?

The reality is the premise in this suggestion is that gaa players vote emotionally en masse, and yet there is not one piece of evidence to suggest this. In fact it is quite the opposite.

The reality is the premise in this suggestion is that gaa players vote emotionally en masse, and yet there is not one piece of evidence to suggest this. In fact it is quite the opposite.

Yet again, I never said that. I clearly stated it may not be a definitive factor. With that said, it would be exceptionally naive to believe the vote being split does not occur to some extent.

liam7831 wrote: »
    Donaghy for me

It would really kill that whole "Moran or which Dublin player, and why" debate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

gramar wrote: »
    Hard to see why Cluxton is even being mentioned.

I'm bemused by that one too, it must have been the Sunday game pre-match fawning that put him into peoples minds. He did perfectly well all year but didn't do anything above and beyond that would push him into POTY reckoning. Thats not even his fault, being the keeper of a side that is controlling every game and racking up cricket scores doesn't leave much chance for heroics, but thats just how it is.

I don't think there really is a standout candidate this year. Moran did very well but he wasn't some unstoppable juggernaut either. I think McCarthy was indeed very good all year and it does matter that he topped it off with a sprint finish, but again it wasn't the sort of year from him that demanded peoples attention.

There just isn't any standout candidate, which means Moran will get it partly because he was actually very good, and partly because there is room for a legacy award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

So Moran is getting this year's 'lets pity Mayo' award? Played really well against a catastrophic Kerry full back line and didnt stand out much other than that- was awful in the quarter against Ros

Has to be Cluxton for me and if not him then McCarthy- I would include Geaney in the mix too.

Has to be Cluxton for me

And there it is again. Why on earth is Cluxton even in the conversation?

"Ladies and gentlemen, your player of the year, the guy who barely had anything to do all championship..."

Give him another all-star, sure, why not, but how on earth can people call him Player of the year?

I'd love to see a justification for the award that wasn't vague mumbling about great kickouts.

Give him another all-star, sure, why not, but how on earth can people call him Player of the year?

He shouldn't be but he will be. The nominations owe as much to profile as anything. He lifted the trophy for the 4th time and that will push him into the consciousness of those selecting the nominees.

I know he has at least two nominations in the past based on similar seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So Moran is getting this year's 'lets pity Mayo' award? Played really well against a catastrophic Kerry full back line and didnt stand out much other than that- was awful in the quarter against Ros

Has to be Cluxton for me and if not him then McCarthy- I would include Geaney in the mix too.

Ah yes the old revisionist history.

Kerry were 1/2 in both games to beat Mayo, the only team who could challenge Dublin etc etc

And 30 something year old Andy Moran scores 2-7 against them.

Suddenly they have a catastrophic full back line and Paul Geaney who scored more from placed balls than play, and a flukey goal v Cork is a more worthy nomination.

Surprised you did not call Moran a "rat" like you did other Mayo players, or are you still on a warning for that ?

Kerry were 1/2 in both games to beat Mayo, the only team who could challenge Dublin etc etc

Suddenly they have a catastrophic full back line and Paul Geaney who scored more from placed balls than play, and a flukey goal v Cork is a more worthy nomination.

Surprised you did not call Moran a "rat" like you did other Mayo players, or are you still on a warning for that ?

I might be on warning but I stand by what I said about a player who dived and rolled around holding his face, when pushed in his chest, trying to get another player sent off.

Are you condoning that behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I might be on warning but I stand by what I said about a player who dived and rolled around holding his face, when pushed in his chest, trying to get another player sent off.

Are you condoning that behaviour?

Gamesmanship is part and parcel of the modern game.

No one team is more guilty or more innocent than another.

Your own Aiden O Mahoney's actions a number of years back are famous at this stage.

So I'd put the stones down now seeing as you have just walked into the green house.

Not the thread for such a debate anyway

TOD you have to remember who you are responding to. He would give it to Wayne Rooney before he would consider a Mayo player worthy.:rolleyes:

TOD you have to remember who you are responding to. He would give it to Wayne Rooney before he would consider a Mayo player worthy.:rolleyes:

Well thats just childish- I rate a lot of the Mayo players very highly.
    I think Parsons, Boyle & Keegan are more deserving than Andy.

Gamesmanship is part and parcel of the modern game.

No one team is more guilty or more innocent than another.

Your own Aiden O Mahoney's actions a number of years back are famous at this stage.

So I'd put the stones down now seeing as you have just walked into the green house.

Not the thread for such a debate anyway

So you dont condone it- good man, glad to hear it

Well thats just childish- I rate a lot of the Mayo players very highly.
    I think Parsons, Boyle & Keegan are more deserving than Andy.

Cluxton had one hard game all year, in that he lost nearly all the kickouts in the first half and conceded a goal in the 2nd.

There were not many outstanding players in 2017, but Cluxton certainly should not be on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

corny wrote: »

No way is that true but Kev Mc was very good. Also, i'd argue it wasn't the Dublin bench at all that swung the game. Connolly and Kev Mc came on at HT but they hardly had a huge fitness advantage when they were changing the game early in the second half. They changed the game because they're brilliant players not out of the freshness of their legs. Other than that the other subs did nothing. In truth it was the Dublin starters who took the game to Mayo in the last 10 minutes to close it out, as they always do. Players like McCarthy, COS, Cooper, were still running hard while AOS, Higgins, etc had come to a standstill. Mayo are special, Dublin moreso in every aspect.

I never stayed they weren't very good players.McManamon pace and directness at the start of the second half gave Dublin a much needed impetus when they needed it and the Dublin substitutes contributed to the scoreboard unlike their Mayo counterparts so they did contribute significantly to the win.

We were relying on the same core of 15 players and outside of Diarmuid O Connor none of our substitutes made a significant contribution.Zippy out in his feet with cramp and could be forgiven same having played nine games outside his sending off.Quite a long season,O Shea has never had the legs for eighty odd minutes.I would consider there's little difference in the conditioning/fitness of the two teams but a chasm in terms of the bench.So we'll have to agree to disagree on the influence of your bench in terms of the contest in it's totality.Immense IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Cluxton had one hard game all year, in that he lost nearly all the kickouts in the first half and conceded a goal in the 2nd.

There were not many outstanding players in 2017, but Cluxton certainly should not be on the list.

Don't think will get POTY but should get All Star. 9 clean sheets in 14 games and only conceded 6 goals. Jack McCaffrey going off disrupted us around the middle as Flynn went midfield, McCarthy to wing back. Our lads didn't get on the brakes at all in first half. AOS had a free reign around the middle as O'Sullivan held his position at centre back. No complaints from me if Andy Moran gets the award 3-24 from play in 10 games is good going. McCarthy had a great season scoring 1-3 in 6 games. Cleaned out Sean Cavanagh in semi final and stepped up in second sunday with 2 monster points

He was 19/25 on his kickouts in his "one hard game all year". Look at Moran - shone in the first 22 minutes against Dublin but didn't score after that and was off the pitch for the crunch yet he is probably going to win it.

Cluxton's first kickout of the Tyrone game had people out of their seats applauding at the audacity and execution. His general goalkeeping was excellent. He captained a team to a three-in-a-row. He was composed at the end of the Mayo game, helping out the 13-man Dublin to play keep-ball. Compare that to his opposite number whose brainfreeze led to him kicking the ball out over the touchline.

I really don't get the Cluxton-hate on here. He is quite possibly the best Gaelic footballer ever, revolutionised the game, caused playing laws to be changed and is the only player to captain a team to four All-Irelands.

Cluxton's first kickout of the Tyrone game had people out of their seats applauding at the audacity and execution. His general goalkeeping was excellent. He captained a team to a three-in-a-row. He was composed at the end of the Mayo game, helping out the 13-man Dublin to play keep-ball.

So, you think he should be the footballer of the year because of one long kick out, for being the Dublin captain, for being composed in the final and for just vaguely being excellent?

Its not hate for Cluxton to point out that that is pretty weak reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

I really don't get the Cluxton-hate on here. He is quite possibly the best Gaelic footballer ever, revolutionised the game, caused playing laws to be changed and is the only player to captain a team to four All-Irelands.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

So, you think he should be the footballer of the year because of one long kick out, for being the Dublin captain, for being composed in the final and for just vaguely being excellent?

Its not hate for Cluxton to point out that that is pretty weak reasoning.

Penalty save against Tyrone, 6 goals conceded in 14 league and championship games etc. plenty of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Penalty save against Tyrone, 6 goals conceded in 14 league and championship games etc. plenty of reasons.

His shotstopping was good throughout the season

Gael85 wrote: »
    His shotstopping was good throughout the season

Look when you have Andy Moran put forward as a candidate, a player who failed to contribute after the 22nd minute of the final, who missed a chance to put Mayo ahead after 58 minutes, and who was substituted for the crunch final ten minutes, then you have to consider someone with the consistent excellence of Cluxton to be a better candidate. However, as I have said already, the decision won't hinder on who is best and Moran is likely to get it.

Look when you have Andy Moran put forward as a candidate, a player who failed to contribute after the 22nd minute of the final, who missed a chance to put Mayo ahead after 58 minutes, and who was substituted for the crunch final ten minutes, then you have to consider someone with the consistent excellence of Cluxton to be a better candidate. However, as I have said already, the decision won't hinder on who is best and Moran is likely to get it.

Why Cluxton though? Why not McCarthy, Mannion, O'Callaghan, or Fenton? Why not Cooper, McMahon or Fitzsimons, guys who were excellent all year?

I mean, this award is supposed to be for the very best footballer of the entire 2017 season and you are saying it was Cluxton. Don't bitch to me about Moran, make a case for Cluxton, because so far I have seen no good reason whatsoever to believe he deserves to be called the best footballer of 2017.

BandMember wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Don't just take my word for it, read and enjoy:

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/stephen-cluxton-greatest-dublin-130642

http://www.the42.ie/stephen-cluxton-dublin-football-3500861-Jul2017/

http://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/nigel-mccarthy-stephen-cluxton-greatest-13433014

"Tomorrow is a special day, a record day for the greatest player the game has ever seen, the likes of whom will probably never be seen again"

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0914/816574-cluxton-evolution/

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/tomas-o-se-stephen-cluxton-370611

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kick-outs-clean-sheets-longevity-and-shotstopping-how-stephen-cluxton-changed-the-face-of-the-game-35933255.html

"The debate over whether he is the most influential player of the modern era can perhaps best be framed by the introduction and planned introduction of playing rule changes and match protocols to counter what he does."

Why Cluxton though? Why not McCarthy, Mannion, O'Callaghan, or Fenton? Why not Cooper, McMahon or Fitzsimons, guys who were excellent all year?

I mean, this award is supposed to be for the very best footballer of the entire 2017 season and you are saying it was Cluxton. Don't bitch to me about Moran, make a case for Cluxton, because so far I have seen no good reason whatsoever to believe he deserves to be called the best footballer of 2017.

I have said already that McCarthy, Mannion and O'Callaghan are worthy candidates too, the sustained excellence of a large number of Dublin players is one of the reasons why the vote will split and allow Moran to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

When a team loses twice in the championship and does feck all in the league, struggle against Derry, Roscommon and Clare I don't think it has much merit in footballer of the year, especially during the Galway, Derry, Clare and Roscommon games when they struggled Andy Moran averaged 2 points.

Suppose stranger things have happened, yet again Aidan O'Shea is being spouted around the place as getting another sympathetic all star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Rochey18 wrote: »
    When a team loses twice in the championship and does feck all in the league, struggle against Derry, Roscommon and Clare I don't think it has much merit in footballer of the year, especially during the Galway, Derry, Clare and Roscommon games when they struggled Andy Moran averaged 2 points.

Suppose stranger things have happened, yet again Aidan O'Shea is being spouted around the place as getting another sympathetic all star.

Don't agree with the entirety of the post but it does seem a bit over the top people see Moran as a shoe in (wouldn't argue with him winning) .

Mayo (and Moran) played three teams that will be in Division 1 next year, drew once, won once and lost twice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Good luck to you

To be fair, had Dublin been missing any of their starting 15, they would have got to the All Ireland Final and quite possibly won it.

Had Mayo been missing Andy Moran, they wouldnt have got anywhere near an All Ireland Final.

Thats why Andy Moran should get Player of the Year
    Thats the point I was making, he was so important to them, they were nothing without him this year but Dublin players too played to a similar high level but it doesnt get as much attention as most of the Dublin players all play to this high level

• Advertisement

I never stayed they weren't very good players.McManamon pace and directness at the start of the second half gave Dublin a much needed impetus when they needed it and the Dublin substitutes contributed to the scoreboard unlike their Mayo counterparts so they did contribute significantly to the win.

We were relying on the same core of 15 players and outside of Diarmuid O Connor none of our substitutes made a significant contribution.Zippy out in his feet with cramp and could be forgiven same having played nine games outside his sending off.Quite a long season,O Shea has never had the legs for eighty odd minutes.I would consider there's little difference in the conditioning/fitness of the two teams but a chasm in terms of the bench.So we'll have to agree to disagree on the influence of your bench in terms of the contest in it's totality.Immense IMO.

Its far too simplistic to say Kev Mc and Connolly (the only two subs on long enough to have any impact) changed the game though. Mannion and COC ran their markers ragged showing for the ball. Mannions first score set the tone. McCarthy started running forward, the defensive pressure was upped, kickouts were sorted, etc. The reality is Dublin upped their performance all over the park and were the better team because of it. Wouldn't be the first time they've done that to Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

But if Mayoaremagic wants a counter argument against Andy Moran, Con O'Callaghan played 4 games less than him this year and only scored 1-4 less than him, with O'Callagan playing against more Division 1 teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    Its far too simplistic to say Kev Mc and Connolly (the only two subs on long enough to have any impact) changed the game though. Mannion and COC ran their markers ragged showing for the ball. Mannions first score set the tone. McCarthy started running forward, the defensive pressure was upped, kickouts were sorted, etc. The reality is Dublin upped their performance all over the park and were the better team because of it. Wouldn't be the first time they've done that to Mayo.

Don't forget that Cian O'Sullivan pushed up too, made one of rocks scores by running into the corner to open things up a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kilns wrote:
    But if Mayoaremagic wants a counter argument against Andy Moran, Con O'Callaghan played 4 games less than him this year and only scored 1-4 less than him, with O'Callagan playing against more Division 1 teams.

Don't encourage him.
    He hasn't gotten around to looking at the highlights yet.

Stoner wrote: »
    Don't forget that Cian O'Sullivan pushed up too, made one of rocks scores by running into the corner to open things up a bit

True. In the 70th minute he actually ran through and was brought down by AOS. He picked himself up, reloaded and made a chance for BB. He wasted it and COS went looking for the turnover again. The 70th ****ing minute now! Amazing.

O'Sullivan has been brilliant this year Stoner.

Thats the point I was making, he was so important to them, they were nothing without him this year but Dublin players too played to a similar high level but it doesnt get as much attention as most of the Dublin players all play to this high level

To be consistent, those putting Moran forward for POTY because of his importance to Mayo should be arguing for around 10 All-Stars for Dublin players because of the spread of excellence, but you won't see them doing that, you will see the same old tired arguments for players like Clarke and O'Connor who bottled the big moments last Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Its clear you are a windup merchant. You're going on ignore so I don't have to read any more of your nonsense.
    To genuine Dublin supporters well done on Sunday.
    To begrudgers like blanch152, you do a lot of disservice to Dublin and people's respect for Dublin and Dublin football declines as a result because of people like you.
    The funniest thing of all is you said you didn't care who player of the year was, and yet you post dozens of times on this thread questioning why a Mayo man should get it over a Dublin player. Laughable. And begrudging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Andy Moran. But the media love in will mean Cluxton

cms88 wrote: »
    Andy Moran. But the media love in will mean Cluxton

The players vote for FOTY.

Its clear you are a windup merchant. You're going on ignore so I don't have to read any more of your nonsense.
    To genuine Dublin supporters well done on Sunday.
    To begrudgers like blanch152, you do a lot of disservice to Dublin and people's respect for Dublin and Dublin football declines as a result because of people like you.
    The funniest thing of all is you said you didn't care who player of the year was, and yet you post dozens of times on this thread questioning why a Mayo man should get it over a Dublin player. Laughable. And begrudging.

I can't begrudge Andy Moran winning something when he hasn't won it already.

However, when the spurious argument that Cluxton isn't deserving because he lost 6 out of 14 first-half kicks is being used by many posters, pointing out the obvious about Moran - missed a vital chance near the end, got substituted for the crunch ten minutes and didn't score after the 22nd minute - is highlighting the poverty of the arguments against Cluxton.

I have said already that McCarthy, Mannion and O'Callaghan are worthy candidates too, the sustained excellence of a large number of Dublin players is one of the reasons why the vote will split and allow Moran to take it.

You keep repeating the vote splitting, yet offer no more explanation than the phrase itself.
    What vote will split? The Dublin vote? They only get 25-odd votes anyway. I'd have thought the Dublin players would vote for the most deserving of their team mates rather than splitting their vote 2 ways for no apparent reason? Even if they did, there is still another 800-odd votes in the thing...

Well if we take blanch's reasoning, he only made a contribution in the first minute of the game, so he isn't a candidate :rolleyes:
    In reality, if you want to go off scoring alone, then O'Connor must get poty and be accepted as the greatest forward of all time, as he broke all records this year...
    The reality is O'Callaghan had a good year, but he probably wasn't featuring prominently enough at big times. That is why McCarthy is probably Dublin's front runner, and Moran is probably the most deserving. That is just the way the award works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement