Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declare rental income when non resident in the state

Options
  • 14-09-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Folks,

I'm just moving out of the state and I own a property I'd like to rent out.

I'been thorough the Revenue website already and understood that the tenant will deduct the standard rate off the monthly rent and they should issues a form R185. I can then claim a tax credit equal to the taxes deducted.

I am missing a couple of steps:
    - is the tenant paying the tax deducted directly to the Revenue?
    - how can I claim any deductions (mortgage for example)?

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

pasquale83 wrote: »
    Folks,

Thank you for your help!

1) Yes
    2) By filing a tax return - which is mandatory, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Folks,

I'm just moving out of the state and I own a property I'd like to rent out.

I'been thorough the Revenue website already and understood that the tenant will deduct the standard rate off the monthly rent and they should issues a form R185. I can then claim a tax credit equal to the taxes deducted.

I am missing a couple of steps:

Thank you for your help!

Yes the tenant will pay the tax directly to Revenue.

You will still be required to file a form 11 each year on which you can claim rental expenses (portion of mortgage interest, repairs etc.). You will get a credit for the taxes deducted by the tenant on the form 11 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

nompere wrote: »
    1) Yes
    2) By filing a tax return - which is mandatory, anyway.

OK thank you for the quick reply.

Can't find on the Revenue website the details of how the tenant can pay taxes to the revenue. Do you have any links?

Yes the tenant will pay the tax directly to Revenue.

You will still be required to file a form 11 each year on which you can claim rental expenses (portion of mortgage interest, repairs etc.). You will get a credit for the taxes deducted by the tenant on the form 11 also.

Thank you. So will I get cash back from Revenue then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Can't find on the Revenue website the details of how the tenant can pay taxes to the revenue. Do you have any links?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/retainable-charge/index.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

What happens if the 20% is not paid over to Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Thank you. So will I get cash back from Revenue then?
    Yes, if it's your only source of income taxable in Ireland then you'll likely be due a refund of tax paid unless the rent is like 3 or 4k a month and pushes you well into the top rate of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The tenant is liable for the money. If they dont pay it then revenue will come after them.

To avoid future complication the landlord should seek proof of tax payments every month and get written proof that the Tenant is aware of his obligation to pay this every month. ie. Put it in the tenancy agreement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

murphaph wrote: »
    Yes, if it's your only source of income taxable in Ireland then you'll likely be due a refund of tax paid unless the rent is like 3 or 4k a month and pushes you well into the top rate of tax.

What tax free allowances does a non-resident get?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Graham wrote: »

Zero Tax Credits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It depends. did the Tennant give you a form to verify that they paid it over (r185) if so the Tennant is liable.

Whilst not a tax free allowance the OP mentioned a mortgage so that would immediately reduce his taxable income. The other usual allowances like repairs, insurance etc. will also reduce the taxable income.

A non-resident is entitled to a proportion of all their allowances. It's calculated based on the proportion of your Irish income to your total worldwide income. If your Irish income forms 75% or more of your total worldwide income, you can claim 100% of your allowances.

A non-resident pays no PRSI either, so a tax refund is highly likely given all of the above if the rent is less than the threshold for the top rate of income tax.

Edit: the 75% rule is only available for those resident in another EU member state. See http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/39/section/1032/enacted/en/html

Zero Tax Credits
    This is incorrect.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/39/section/1032/enacted/en/html

I use ROS and it correctly gives me a portion of the allowances to which I'm entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Whilst not a tax free allowance the OP mentioned a mortgage so that would immediately reduce his taxable income. The other usual allowances like repairs, insurance etc. will also reduce the taxable income.

A non-resident is entitled to a proportion of all their allowances. It's calculated based on the proportion of your Irish income to your total worldwide income. If your Irish income forms 75% or more of your total worldwide income, you can claim 100% of your allowances.

A non-resident pays no PRSI either, so a tax refund is highly likely given all of the above if the rent is less than the threshold for the top rate of income tax.

Edit: the 75% rule is only available for those resident in another EU member state. See http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/39/section/1032/enacted/en/html
    Would you mind elaborating a little bit more on this please. 
    For example, as a non-resident, can 80% of mortgage interest deducted from the taxable income like a resident landlord? Or does the Irish income have to form >75% of total worldwide income for this to be allowed?
    The same with repairs and insurance. Can they also be deducted from the taxable income like a resident landlord? Or only if the Irish income forms >75% of total worldwide income?

Mortgage interest, repairs, insurance etc. can of course be deducted in exactly the same manner as for residents to calculate taxable income.

The apportionment relative to worldwide income relates to tax credits only.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Thanks murphaph. You're a star!

I am just curious, did you find it easy filling a tax return yourself or did you get the services of an accountant to help?

TiNcAn wrote: »
    Thanks murphaph. You're a star!

I am just curious, did you find it easy filling a tax return yourself or did you get the services of an accountant to help?
    I would suggest using an accountant for your first return if you're not confident and then take it from there yourself in subsequent years. Unless something unusual happens it's repetitive stuff. Once you enter in the correct data into ROS you can't go wrong.

The first year could be considered tricky as you need a reasonable starting value for your fixtures and fittings and with a used property you won't have receipts for everything.

I believe revenue published some guidance on that. They do have a flyer on the subject of rental income. Maybe read that first.

Don't just guess things. If you're genuinely not sure, seek clarification but remember... it's always your responsibility to submit an accurate tax return, even if you have an accountant, so you should be checking what is submitted and understand it!

Mortgage interest, repairs, insurance etc. can of course be deducted in exactly the same manner as for residents to calculate taxable income.

The apportionment relative to worldwide income relates to tax credits only.

I have checked out my annual mortgage interests and they will cover the whole amount of taxes due on the rental income. Is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

As with previous queries you've had about tax and renting, I suggest you speak to a tax professional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement