Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster vs Scarlets, Fri 15th Sept 7:35pm, BBCNI

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Really enjoyed that match last night - I thought Ulster hadn't a hope when they went behind after the Scarlets try, but they showed a doggedness that has been lacking in recent times. Cooney has been a great signing - delighed for the guy. And McCloskey and Marshall are a great centre partnership when they play like that. The backs are terrific - love the speed and strength of Stockdale. The match v Leinster at haloween should be an absolute cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Christy L & McCloskey joint MenofMatch
    Beirne for Scarlets

I tell you who was great before he went off injured...Louis Ludik...he will run through bricks for the team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

bilston wrote: »
    I tell you who was great before he went off injured...Louis Ludik...he will run through bricks for the team...

Always like Ludik. He's not the fastest or strongest or flashiest but he gives 100% in every single game. It's maybe not a trait he might like to describe him but he is solid. Great under a high ball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Would ye prefer Charles P at FB? I would, but he didn't seem as...focused at the end of season.
    I'd say Ludik is tough out. Some nice bursts through the tackle last night

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Charles should never be at fullback. Payne and Ludik are better. Charles is wasted there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Would ye prefer Charles P at FB? I would, but he didn't seem as...focused at the end of season.

Well for Ulster Piutau's best rugby has come on the wing, but I imagine CP will end up a lot at FB because Stockdale really has to play and I don't think Trimble is ready to put out to grass yet. But then there's Payne as well.

Ludik doesn't make my first choice backline which is very harsh.

I'd go 15 Payne, 14 Trimble/Stockdale, 13 Marshall, 12 McCloskey, 11 Piutau.

Edit - I could see some possible interference from elsewhere which means Marshall and Payne play in the centre, CP goes to FB and Trimble and Stockdale play on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ludik was poor in Treviso, but he's usually one of our best, if unflashy, players. Would much rather him at FB and Piutau on the wing. 

Trimble a while ago revealed that his nickname is Leg-Drive Ludik. Tells you all you need to know - fighting for every inch, always pushing on. Has totally bought into Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Well for Ulster Piutau's best rugby has come on the wing, but I imagine CP will end up a lot at FB because Stockdale really has to play and I don't think Trimble is ready to put out to grass yet. But then there's Payne as well.

Ludik doesn't make my first choice backline which is very harsh.

I'd go 15 Payne, 14 Trimble/Stockdale, 13 Marshall, 12 McCloskey, 11 Piutau.

Edit - I could see some possible interference from elsewhere which means Marshall and Payne play in the  centre, CP goes to FB and Trimble and Stockdale play on the wing.
    That's my backline as well. Although Cave at 13 is such a smart reader of the game. And if Olding's back... well, I don't know where he fits in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ludik was poor in Treviso, but he's usually one of our best, if unflashy, players. Would much rather him at FB and Piutau on the wing. 

Trimble a while ago revealed that his nickname is Leg-Drive Ludik. Tells you all you need to know - fighting for every inch, always pushing on. Has totally bought into Ulster.

He is a guy I think Ulster need in that backline especially if Trimble isn't playing. You always need a guy with a bit of grunt and work ethic in the backline. Plus I think he is much more solid than either Payne or Piutau under the high ball from 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

I've rated ludik highly for years now if you go through my history.

he's probably my favourite Ulster player. puts everything into it.

although this year I'm really liking Cooney too.

did anyone else notice diack actually made some metres every now and again too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Scythica wrote: »

did anyone else notice diack actually made some metres every now and again too!

He did but he also.got pushed back as is the norm with him. At one stage he was so static taking contact that he fell backwards like a tree being felled.

Advertisement