Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights interfering with wireless cyclocomputer

Options
  • 14-09-2017 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

I got a new Lezyne light the other day. I went to try it out for the first time and I was delighted to see that the full power beam from the light was blotting out the sun and starting to set kindling ablaze.

However, I also noticed that my Cateye cyclocomputer was acting oddly. The sensor icon was flashing away merrily, but the display was only reading 0 km/h, or 21 km/h and nothing else in between or above. I figured that the battery had gone or water had got into the device and I went to do various resets and checks of the batteries. Everything seemed to work fine when I tested the speedo at home, but the problem returned when I went to go to work.

I had given up on the Cateye at this point until I tried switching off the new light that was alongside it on the handlebars. Lo and behold the Cateye started working again. The bloody lamp electronics were interfering with the wireless signal!

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Does anyone have any tips for resolving it (apart from "buy a new bike"!)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Sounds like pretty bad EMI from the lights. I'd return the lights. As a test at home you could wrap the lights in tinfoil and see if it makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I had the same problem with my wireless computer but only if the lights were set to flash - on constant it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Update! A bit of research revealed that interference from powerful LED lights on wireless cycle-computers is commonplace. A bit of tinkering with the position of the light and cycle-computer on the handlebars has placed them far enough apart to stop clashing with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

check_six wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for resolving it (apart from "buy a new bike"!)?
    I dunno. Seems an eminently sensible approach. Just to rule out the old bike as a cause, like. Can’t hurt.

Advertisement