Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Bar Business

Options
  • 14-09-2017 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All, 
    I am starting a new business which will be a mobile bar.  The van is currently being made and should be ready in the next month or two. 
    I have a business name which I am in the process of registering together with registering as self-employed.
    However, I have come a bit stuck with regard to the relevant licences etc.  My local Council are just passing me around and do not really know what I need.
    I am looking to set up (and also sell some related items on the side) at Wedding Fairs, Festivals, Street Markets etc. I believe that I may need a Personal Alcohol Licence and possibly a trading licence, but I am unsure.
    I do not want to be restricted to a specific County as plan to travel with the Mobile Bar Nationwide. 
    Any help and/or advice as to who I would need to contact would be gratefully received. 
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Hmmm, maybe confirming licensing requirements would have been the place to start. Hope the van isn't costing you too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LucyJo

Hi Pelvis,

I have the same business in the UK and, unfortunately, the licences are not now transferable which is what I was originally told.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I vaguely recall licenses for events are generally attached/issued to an existing licensed premises.

Thank you Graham. That was my initial thought too...it is just the alcohol licence that I am unsure about - appreciate your input.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I was referring to the alcohol license.

If I remember correctly, bars set up at events are operated by the owners of existing licensed premises. They apply to the courts for an extension to their pub license to be able to operate at the events.

I really wouldn't spend any more money on your mobile bar until you've taken legal advice. I say that as someone that also discovered the Irish licensing laws are very different to those in the UK

• Advertisement

Many thanks Graham - noted. 

I will seek independent advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mb30

I worked for a mobile bar business in the UK a few years ago, great business, great fun the bar was actually an old London double decker bus converted into a bar with seating upstairs, speakers blasted the latest tunes and we attended events, weddings, corporate events etc. As far as I know first you need to apply for a 7 day licence then for events you,ll need a casual trading licence, occasional Licence to sell alcohol and you,ll also need public liability etc. Your best bet is search online for "licensing law solicitors" make an appointment with one and speak to an expert on the issue you'll then find out if it's viable or not (in Ireland) the land of unnecessary bureaucracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In Ireland, my suspicion is, that you'd have to have a licence for a specific bricks and mortar premises and then have to apply to the courts for each individual extension.
    Don't know the ongoing cost and how the judges and Gardai would look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Yeh the route doing this is a lot clearer in the UK! Probably the reason you see it quite often whereas I don't recall seeing anyone do something like it in Ireland.

Thank you so much - I have spoken to a Law Firm in Ireland who can assit.

Jimmii - You are right - it is a lot clearer and is most definitely more straight forward in the UK!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

LucyJo wrote: »
    Thank you so much - I have spoken to a Law Firm in Ireland who can assit.

Jimmii - You are right - it is a lot clearer and is most definitely more straight forward in the UK!!

After sorting out licensing in the UK it made me realise just how much of a nightmare it is in Ireland! Couldn't believe how quick and easy it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chefsteve2018

Hi Just wondering did you get to the bottom of this I’m also looking to apply for a wine license for a mobile Prosecco van but theirs no clear outline on what the law is selling Prosecco from a van

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sebatron3

Hi Just wondering did you get to the bottom of this I’m also looking to apply for a wine license for a mobile Prosecco van but theirs no clear outline on what the law is selling Prosecco from a van

Just wondering did you get that license? I’m looking at a similar venture!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Sebatron3 wrote: »
    Just wondering did you get that license? I’m looking at a similar venture!

Hi,

If you were considering going down the wedding catering route that might be a work-around solution as strictly speaking you wouldn't be retailing/selling as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not an expert, and don't quote me as it was a while ago, but we did look at doing this a few years ago as we had license premises and wanted to serve 'off-site'

We could only get an extension of our license for specific events, times and locations e.g. X music festival in Y location on Z date. Likewise, we had another location (Say 10km away) that we wanted to serve at but only on a temporary basis e.g Every other weekend, but this was a no-go unless we licensed that area too and all the costs associated with that. Lastly, it came down to the local judge and Gardai if they were willing to grant it in the first place. We couldn't just drive around like an ice cream van and pull pints.

I frankly have no idea how mobile bars are currently operating other than those that have a food element and it's part and parcel of that, kinda like how you can serve a half-pint in the UK with dinner etc.

Licensing in Ireland is complex and costly. Unless you have deep pockets and have worked in the industry, I'd strongly suggest to avoid it or work with someone who has those things.
    If you were considering going down the wedding catering route that might be a work-around solution as strictly speaking you wouldn't be retailing/selling as such.

Open to correction, but the venue or yourself still needs a license if you are operating commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sebatron3

too much hassle for what it’s worth so. I suppose everyone would be doing it if it was easy. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chefsteve2018

Sebatron3 wrote: »
    too much hassle for what it’s worth so. I suppose everyone would be doing it if it was easy. Thanks for the reply.

A wholesale wine license is what you need and get a unit licensed. Sell the kegs of wine or Prosecco 2 weeks before the event and you are “delivering “ it to the customer and no alcohol is been sold on the Day

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

There is a guy on done deal who has been trying to sell a horse box that has been modified / converted into a coffee and prosecco bar. His target is weddings. He seems to get a huge amount of views but it hasn't shifted in four months. That would seem to suggest that it's not as straightforward as some would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

A wholesale wine license is what you need and get a unit licensed. Sell the kegs of wine or Prosecco 2 weeks before the event and you are “delivering “ it to the customer and no alcohol is been sold on the Day

A bar licence is required for sale OR supply of alcohol. There are no legal ways around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

A bar licence is required for sale OR supply of alcohol. There are no legal ways around this.

Was going to add, the margins wouldn't make sense either as your venue will likely be the same price, if not cheaper by virtue of volume etc. You would also need to underprice an off-license that the person could just make a run to and pay the venue for corkage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement