Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - Should i lie?

Options
  • 14-09-2017 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So Im looking to get car insurance but heres the problem.. Ive been insured before for about 3 months before my car broke down and I had to cancel my policy. Now whenever i get a quote and put down that i had been previously insured with 0 years no claims i get a massive premium. What im wondering is if anyone has lied about this before and is it worth it, or should i just tell the truth?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

They'll ask for proof of your previous insurance cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Or they won't ask for proof straight away. You'll put down 1 year or x years no claims, pay a cheaper premium and happy days.

But if you have an accident, and they seek proof and find out you lied, they wont pay out.

Handy for them to take your money, but you're basically not covered then from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you lie they'll most likely cancel the policy when you can't provide the proof of NCD. If you think it's expensive now you'll be talking phone number quotes when you have had a policy cancelled, along with the hassle of having to use the declined quote route.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Never lie to your insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

You can call the insurance company they might give you a small discount for your 3 months experience. (they will ask you to get a letter from your previous insurer)
    Also no dont lie they will ask for proof and if you cannot give it to them within a certain amount of days they will cancel your policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Niko93

Hmm i guess i could try that. And what i was asking was if i should lie and say i had no previous insurance. Id never lie about having no claims cause that would definitely come back and bite me in the ass. I guess i should just tell the truth, thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Call a few places. It's an unusual situation. The system is probably seeing previous experience but zero no claims. The online systems can't handle what you're trying to say. Don't lie though, as said above, you would basically be driving uninsured if something was to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Niko93 wrote: »
    So Im looking to get car insurance but heres the problem.. Ive been insured before for about 3 months before my car broke down and I had to cancel my policy. Now whenever i get a quote and put down that i had been previously insured with 0 years no claims i get a massive premium. What im wondering is if anyone has lied about this before and is it worth it, or should i just tell the truth?

Don't do online quotes.

If you were able to get an acceptable quote previously with nil bonus then I'm struggling to figure out why you are having such difficulty now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

unkel wrote: »
    Never lie to your insurance company.

True, no point in ye both lying!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

When you took out your policy that you cancelled after 3 months, had you a NCB? If you had and did not have any accident/claim, then that NCB is valid for the next quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Niko93

ravima wrote: »
    When you took out your policy that you cancelled after 3 months, had you a NCB? If you had and did not have any accident/claim, then that NCB is valid for the next quote.

Thats the thing I hadnt any NCB cause that was my first time insuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

perhaps you could contact a broker. If you are trying to do it online, computer cannot grasp how you were previously insured and have no NCB. If you contacted your previous insurer by phone/personal visit, they might be more understanding

Advertisement