Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop

Options
  • 14-09-2017 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

For student. Has to be lightweight, good processor and SSD.

Anyone see any good deals lately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

mad m wrote: »
    For student. Has to be lightweight, good processor and SSD.

Anyone see any good deals lately.

I'm on the look-out too for my nephew. If any good deals please let us know... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

PC World is probably your best bet (but look around).

It's going to be a compromise
    Lightweight = smaller
    Smaller = less features, smaller keypad, less storage etc, less power (unless you go big bucks).
    Larger = better screen(area),bigger keyboard, possible better storage & processor (? depends)

Working in a college and also evening student (& have 2 x third level kids)
    - students seldom bring/use laptops to class, they are used mostly in Library/study area or at home/lodgings
    - so the laptop is not constantly with the student. Lockers are available on most campus
    - There is not really much difference in carrying an 11" v 13" v 15" and weight-wise, most people should be able to carry an extra kg (most of the time they will be getting bus or lifts)
    - Good anti-virus is a must (Norton or McAfee) €70 will cover up to 10 family devices (mobiles, tablets, pc, laptop etc)
    - MS Office (Student or Home), worth the investment
    - PDF editor (eg Nuance) Very handy
    - space mouse, keyboard and find a used screen to set up a desk docking station (ability to use 2 x screens at once can make projects easier)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

I would take a look ona dell website but before you buy ask them for students discount on chat. Much better spec than in pcworld.
    dell.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

4motion wrote: »
    I would take a look ona dell website but before you buy ask them for students discount on chat. Much better spec than in pcworld.
    dell.ie

Thanks will do. Was looking at XPS earlier :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 lorflower086

Hope administration don't mind but just wondering if any of you got a laptop and if you did where and how much was it.? What specs did you get? I'm looking for one for 1st yr engineering student. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Also on the hunt for a Black Friday type deal on a laptop.

Just for home use. Browsing is the most stress it will be put through

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Euronics have some great deals on laptops at the moment - i3 processor, 8GB ram, 1/2TB hard drive and options of 14 or 15.6inch screens - for €499. The HP comes with a laptop bag too.

https://euronics.ie/product/lenovo-ideapad-310-156-notebook-silver-80sm01jluk/

https://euronics.ie/product/hp-14inch-corei3-laptop-bundle-14-am081na/

Advertisement