Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time or second time buyer ?

Options
  • 14-09-2017 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Any mortgage experts out there ?

I owned a house in the UK from 1995 until 2001 when I sold it. I am now in the process of applying for a mortgage here and AIB have told me that I am considered a second time buyer because of said house in the UK.

I would have thought because the house was in the UK and sold over 16 years ago that it would have no impact on my status here.

I was on to Revenue about the Help to Buy scheme (which only first time buyers can avail of) and they said for the purposes of that I AM considered a first time buyer.

Does anyone know anything about this ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

You may want to double-check that advice from Revenue, because as far as I understand, in order to be counted as a first-time buyer, "you must not have previously bought or built a house or apartment, either on your own or jointly with any other person," without regard as to the location of the property. The banks will definitely not consider you a first-time buyer, so you will need a 20% deposit for a mortgage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Puchelle

Thanks for the reply. Yeah pretty gutted about the 20% deposit but looks like there's nothing thst can be done about that.

This is the reply I got from revenue:
    'If this is your first time buying a house in Ireland then you are deemed a first time buyer for the help to buy scheme'.

So I guess if that comes through for me if/when I get to that stage, it will ease the burden of the 20% deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I would follow up with another bank and/or a broker.

I had previously purchased a house but hadn't drawn down a mortgage, because it was my first mortgage I was a first time buyer under the central bank rules. It took a knowledgeable broker to tell me before I checked into it. Other brokers and banks just wrote me off as a second time buyer.

Not sure how that might apply to international mortgages but it's worth asking the question.

Advertisement