Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving / Quitting Teaching

• 14-09-2017 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, long-time viewer, first-time poster.

I am a post-primary teacher in their late 20's. I teach in a reasonably good all-boys' school; very few behavioral problems, good support from management, parents are supportive more often than not, and results are typically very good from the school overall.

I have been teaching Irish and Spanish for a few years now and have recently gotten my CID.

Recently, I have noticed that I still struggle with the basics: making lessons interesting, integrating grammar so as not to bore students, etc., and it makes me feel like I just don't have the natural instinct to be a teacher. It seems to come so naturally to other teachers of my age, but I seem to have to put in so much extra time to even be mediocre at my job.

I have always been good at languages, but have never been *great* at explaining things: even as kids, my younger siblings would ask my older brother for help with their homework even though they knew I was more academic than him.

Therefore, I am wondering if anyone has been in the same or a similar situation.

Have you left teaching altogether or have you stuck it out and seen yourself improve?

I'd appreciate any and all advice you could give.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭2011abc

Improvements are inevitable .Dont rush into decision .Dont forget the hols !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you're a pre 2011 entrant, you'll be giving up a gold plated pension if you leave. And, by all accounts, the ability to retire at 65. I'd think long and hard. Everything you mention can be improved. I don't get the impression you hate teaching. Work at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

dco90 wrote: »
    Hi all, long-time viewer, first-time poster.

I am a post-primary teacher in their late 20's. I teach in a reasonably good all-boys' school; very few behavioral problems, good support from management, parents are supportive more often than not, and results are typically very good from the school overall.

I have been teaching Irish and Spanish for a few years now and have recently gotten my CID.

Recently, I have noticed that I still struggle with the basics: making lessons interesting, integrating grammar so as not to bore students, etc., and it makes me feel like I just don't have the natural instinct to be a teacher. It seems to come so naturally to other teachers of my age, but I seem to have to put in so much extra time to even be mediocre at my job.

I have always been good at languages, but have never been *great* at explaining things: even as kids, my younger siblings would ask my older brother for help with their homework even though they knew I was more academic than him.

Therefore, I am wondering if anyone has been in the same or a similar situation.

Have you left teaching altogether or have you stuck it out and seen yourself improve?

I'd appreciate any and all advice you could give.

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

You don't need new ideas every day. There's still a place for rote learning and old fashioned drilling.

There's such thing as being motivated without needing to be entertained. It shouldn't be murder to sit on you class but it doesn't have to be happy clappy all the time.

Unless you don't like teenagers or fundamentally disagree with the concept of mass education I wouldn't be in a rush to the exit.

A bit of innovation is nice, but remember its always new to the class, a good idea or approach will last you years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You should read a book by Gianfranco Conti. If you google him he has a great blog and most of his ideas are on the blog if you don't want to buy the book (but the book is easier to understand). I joined Twitter and started following a lot of teachers. The often post ideas and photos of things they've done in their class. There's also two very good MLF Facebook groups you could join for ideas (the Twitter people often post up the link to those - one is run by Gianfranco).
    For Irish we made a very workbook we give the students. It's €12 per student (to cover costs) and is very interactive and communicative. Each page has activities for them to do and keeps them busy in class. PM me if you want the contact details for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement