Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best places to live in Galway?

Options
  • 14-09-2017 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm an American planning on getting my master's degree beginning in 2018 at NUI Galway. I'm looking for advice on the best places to live in Galway that aren't outrageously priced.

I prefer to live alone and have my own space, but I definitely won't rule out flat mates.

Comments

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 karpidiem11

Ideally, no more than €750-800, even less if at all possible. I'm not very familiar with the housing market in Ireland, so feel free to set me straight if this is unreasonable! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Have a look on daft.ie to see what's there within your budget.
    You might be able to get a 1-bed in that price, but there's a lot of competition to get any available rental property.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep checking www.daft.ie and http://classifieds.advertiser.ie/property/to-let/
    When do you plan to arrive?

i suggest you focus on getting a place at all even with a few other people and then when you've been here a while find a place alone.

Tbh, living with other people means free friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Do you want to live within walking distance of the university or will you have a car/use bus etc? Newcastle and shantalla are very close to NUIG but accommodation is relatively expensive there as it's also close to city centre and large hospital. If your planning on driving/bus you'll have a wider range of accommodation and cheaper options too. Try to choose something on the western side of the city as crossing the river involves changing busses and traffic issues. Areas to look at are Salthill (near sea front, mixture of accommodation) and Knocknacarra (big housing estates, some nicer than others- good buses).

• Advertisement

@biko

Thanks for the advice! I'm in the early planning stages and plan to arrive in September of 2018.

As far as living alone, I was diagnosed with PTSD a while back and have learned over the years I feel more comfortable having a place to myself. I'm not anti-social, and I make friends relatively easily, it's just that not a lot of people understand the illness and its symptoms since it's still quite taboo. My living situation is a key factor in maintaining my health so I just want to be as comfortable as possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

biko wrote:
    Tbh, living with other people means free friends

Who took my cornflakes? Where are my jammy doughnuts I got yesterday and why are there stacks of dishes in the sink are other enjoyments that free friends bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

When you are 18 years old flat mates are fun, company and a necessity financially.
    As you get older you appreciate the peace that living alone brings! I assume our OP is over 21 as he/she is coming from USA to do masters.

OP -new Irish students look for accommodation in August when the exam results are released so make sure you get ahead of that rush. Also, NUIG have a wonderful student support service so you might like to link in with them when you arrive just in case you need a little extra support re the PTSD over the year.
    You'll love NUIG- it's a fantastic university and wonderful city (and I've experienced a few in my time).

@xfactorfan23

Thanks, I appreciate the input! I'm really looking forward to the program and I've wanted to move to Galway since the first time I visited two years ago.

Worst case scenario (and it's really not the end of the world) I'll live in student accommodations with flat mates. And I'll definitely make sure to get ahead of the rush on securing housing before I arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would you consider this: https://swuite.com/

Most of the units are single studios, so you've have your own space - but also some built-in neighbourhood space too.

Yes, it's student accommodation. But there is on-site security, and I'm sure they'll want some post-grad students, so that the place isn't a total first-year-zoo.

Price is high- but that includes internet, heating and electricity - which you'll have to pay separately if you get a house-share. And there's no landlord looking for a full-year lease.

About 15 minutes walk from campus, but it's on a bus route that goes there (via a longer route) for wet days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

@biko

Thanks for the advice! I'm in the early planning stages and plan to arrive in September of 2018.

As far as living alone, I was diagnosed with PTSD a while back and have learned over the years I feel more comfortable having a place to myself. I'm not anti-social, and I make friends relatively easily, it's just that not a lot of people understand the illness and its symptoms since it's still quite taboo. My living situation is a key factor in maintaining my health so I just want to be as comfortable as possible :)

If you can find a place with a large-ish and cosy bedroom, with a shared communal space and kitchen, this might suit you too.
    In some ways it's easier to share with 3 or 4 people in a larger house, than it is just to share with one. You have your own bedroom as a mini studio to retreat to and you can be sociable if/when you want.

I had a friend who had some anxiety problems, and wanted to interact on his own terms, so this really suited him. A bedroom that is self contained (if you can get en suite, great) yet a shared house, so amenity wise it is much cheaper than a one bed.

Rahoon can be slightly cheaper than Shantalla and Newcastle, but is close enough and is a great place to live amenity wise (bar a decent choice of pubs). Do a google map view of places to get a feel too before you arrive.

Advertisement