Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At my wits end regarding finding work.

Options
  • 14-09-2017 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I've been unemployed for a year now.

A year of constant rejections, getting to final rounds, then dropped. Getting to second rounds, then dropped. I've been through it all.

Got my most recent rejection today from a company I would have loved to work for. I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have the experience. I'm extremely personable and I always make sure I've researched extensively for every role I go for.

There's only so many knock-backs a person can take. I've exhausted all the companies I want to work for, and those that I'm not crazy about, but they'd pay the bills.

To make matters worse, I'm dealing with quite a lot mentally and physically (not something an employer would notice outright) that impacts my day to day. I should be given a job purely on my tenacity and sheer determination, but I'd never be able to give that as an example in a job interview!

Has anyone here used any professional services regarding recruitment? How was your experience? Is it worth the investment?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭sidcon

What line of work are you trying to get into

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

I've a mixed background of Graphic Design and Customer Support.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

IrishTeddi wrote: »

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

HAve you ever done any interview training?

There could be something you;re doing in the interview that puts them off.

As a friend said to me, be direct, with your answers "yes, I have experience in that and that's what I can bring to your business".

Often times I have fallen into the "let's have a chat" interview style so I leave the interview thinking 'we all got on great' and they think 'he's a nice guy' and not 'that's the guy we believe can do this job'.

At the end of the interview, when they say "anything else?" you say "I just want to emphasise that I really want this job and want to work here".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

IrishTeddi wrote: »

If you want to PM a link to portfolio and CV I'll give an opinion on it.

Graphic's and CS is an odd mix. I have done similar myself. you might want to go for different jobs. Areas that combine those skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Sometimes people come across as too eager and too desperate during interview which can be off putting. I think that maybe you need to step back during the interview process-value yourself and prospective employers should start to value you. This is only a guess but a lot of people when they are out of work a while, start becoming more desperate and that comes through in interview and is extremely off putting. Might be something to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭skinny90

Regardless of the interview style, if it's formal, technical or less formal as mentioned with your let's have a chat description. Interviewers are gonna be looking at a number of different areas to ensure you are a right fit. They will look for competencies which is core to the role. They may look for personal traits but your core comepentcies are really key here. Your ability to work with a team, be a leader, be creative, problem solve etc
    If your getting to interview stages quite often then you need to work on how do you address this in an interview.
    Think up of as much scenarios where by for example you worked as a team, achieved a goal, what you did as a team to achieve that goal and what you did contributed to enable that team achieve the goal. Other scenarios would be dealing with difficult team members/clients.
    Have examples of where you worked on your own to achieve a goal and highlight key areas on how you succeeded (self motivations, organisation etc)
    Use as much examples as possible from past experiences. Don't be afraid to use examples outside of the work place either such as college if relevant and some what recent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Any sort of graphics will require a decent portfolio and a skill set with the appropriate applications. Most will not give you time to come to speed on a new app.

Advertisement