Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personally cancelling my car insurance

Options
  • 14-09-2017 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi lads.
    Ok, I never disclosed a particular claim when applying for a new quote from a different insurance company. I genuinely thought this claim happened outside my NCB of five years. . After the company agreeing a quote and me going through all the motions to set my new insurance up, they requested a statement of facts from my previous insurers which of course is the norm. But this claim which I thought was outside was included as to be within the NCB period. Now after months of uncertainty, my insurance company wants a further 500e from me as I never disclosed this in the first place.
    Question: If I cancelled my cover with my current insurer & tried to get a quote from someone else, do ye think I'll get a quote? Afaik, most online questionaires ask "Have you been declined from a company before" which I havent but I will be cancelling myself. What are your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

fran38 wrote: »
    Hi lads.
    Ok, I never disclosed a particular claim when applying for a new quote from a different insurance company. I genuinely thought this claim happened outside my NCB of five years. . After the company agreeing a quote and me going through all the motions to set my new insurance up, they requested a statement of facts from my previous insurers which of course is the norm. But this claim which I thought was outside was included as to be within the NCB period. Now after months of uncertainty, my insurance company wants a further 500e from me as I never disclosed this in the first place.
    Question: If I cancelled my cover with my current insurer & tried to get a quote from someone else, do ye think I'll get a quote? Afaik, most online questionaires ask "Have you been declined from a company before" which I havent but I will be cancelling myself. What are your opinions?

Why didn't you just stay with original??

Yes it will be an issue especially if they cancel you.

You will lose no claims if nearly a year even into policy.

You will have to tell new insurer of claim also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Hi lads.

Pay up and shut up might be your best bet....at least next year (I assume) you'll have a full NCB again, but be sure to disclose the claim anyhow!

You would have received a quote from your existing insurance company or broker which would have shown your NCB. If there was any doubt, you should have disclosed the claim. If it wasn't within the NCB period it wouldn't have been taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fran38

They want another 500e from me on top of what ive paid them so far.

Yes it will be an issue especially if they cancel you.

They wont be cancelling me for another week or so if i dont caome up with the readies. I'll be cancelling myself tomorrow.

You will lose no claims if nearly a year even into policy.

Ah right, thats a snag i didnt think about.

You will have to tell new insurer of claim also.

I will but the new quote may be cheaper than what i will hav to pay in the long run with my current insurer (500e + what im paying at the mo)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fran38

Sorry, i misread your question. Original insurer was dearer than the quote i got from my current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sorry, i misread your question. Original insurer was dearer than the quote i got from my current one.

No problems but is it still cheaper with addition of €500.

• Advertisement
Advertisement